HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Something I always do with wings that have slip in spars is to measure the center and mark it with a sharpie or if it is dark in color put a small piece of tape on it and mark that. Then when you slip the spar in to the mark and not further. I also like to mark the underside of the wings to let me know that the wings are pushed in all of the way and if they have slipped out some during flight. Something I also do on every plane is to check the lateral balance, not just the CG. Hang some string slings from above and put one on the tail and one on the nose. Let the plane hang to see if one wing hangs lower than the other.
i actually put a small tack of glue on spar when it was in one wing,and centered so it would stay put when other wing was slid on.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:55 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
ok great...Advise well taken..i think my next maiden will be a success..Sometimes we got to go thru trial and error..some more than others...me...lol.....What would i do without u guys.......i did notice crack on bottom of fuse and a split down the middle...ohhh boyy..didnt see that..no big deal tho..went to local hobby shop and bought ZAP GOO...NOT ZAP-A-DAP....so i'm going to try this zap goo and see if it's just as good as 30 minute epoxy.. Anyone ever use Zap Goo before on larger foamy material?
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:55 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
Thanks for the advice...i'll know for sure once i hook everything back. i did discover a new video from banana hobby in regard the Wing Tube. it turns out that my wing tube was pushed into the right wing waaaay more than the left and that's why it turned to the right so violently. So this video address this...i'm sure a lot of people are going to benefit from this video.
go to 4:45 to see what he has to say about the Wing tube...
After all this trial and error, i think my next maiden will be sucessfull.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rCuuoVUGcs
Great! I am very happy to see that they went to the trouble to make that video. I just wish Pete would just stop talking after he says something rather than saying everything again and again in various different ways. It is like his mouth just won't stop!

Using the excuse of 'In order to keep the cost down' to explain why they only included two screws for each control horn is an insult to our intelligence. Another half dozen of those screws probably would not be worth more that a penny at their cost. And if two diagonal screws are enough, why did they put four holes in the parts? A similar comment applies to the explanation for not including the glue. The cement that came with the smaller Sky Surfer would be plenty strong to hold that tail on. And they saved probably a whole dime by not including that!

I am still happy to see that they have put out the build video. It will certainly help a lot of folks have a successful build and first flight.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:09 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
well i guess no one was up so i went ahead and did a Maiden this morning..hmmm,,not good....Not good at all. Ok plane is ok..No damage...but on a 4s 3000mah Lipo, 60a esc and a 8x8 APC E Prop, the plane had no power. i put in my hand above my shoulder ready to launch and gave it full power and motor WAS screaming like it's suppose to but when i launched it, it was really slow like underpowered and it turned right and went straight into ground..fortunately i didnt crash i was able to get it on ground smoothly...,,,,for the life of me i will never figure this out. this had nothing to do with nose ot tail heavy...it just didnt have power....i dont understand it. imagine a 3s...it wouldnt even take off....so on a 4s?????? I hope you guys have a explanation and solution for this..........
Well, After reading that one totally silly way of getting the prop oriented, I will give you the objective and correct way to mount a prop. See the pic below.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:43 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Well my SSS is on it's way, I also decided to get a 4C capable 60a ESC, 5000mah 4c battery, and some 8x6E APC style props. I also while perusing ebay came across some interested high power LED's, so I ended up ordering 6 3W white LED's, and a handful of 1w red and green LED's, so not only will this plane be setup for night flying, it is going to be BRIGHT!
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:48 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,875 Posts
I think Rhampton got the point by now......
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:18 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
I think Rhampton got the point by now......
i think i do now....lol...i think my next maiden will bo allllllright!!!!....wing tube is going to be in middle. got my nice 8x8 prop on correctly....CG seems to be on money...Fuse is nice and solid now....and guess what. i dont even have to take my wings off ever..Fit's right in my SUV so i'm leaving wings on....WHEW,,,now that's a relief....either tomorrow or sometimes during week i will maiden....Thanks guys for the support.......i hope now this thing tugs right out of my hand with a gentle push...
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:23 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Using the excuse of 'In order to keep the cost down' to explain why they only included two screws for each control horn is an insult to our intelligence.
Is that what the Banana Hobby folks said? Or what some of *us* said while trying to guess?

Mine had three screws for each control horn, though it had holes for four each. My guess is that they were running out of them, and so cut back the quantity rather than hold up shipment of large numbers of kits entirely until the next batch of screws came in.

Well, that's my guess, worth what you paid for it.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:32 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Is that what the Banana Hobby folks said? Or what some of *us* said while trying to guess?

Mine had three screws for each control horn, though it had holes for four each. My guess is that they were running out of them, and so cut back the quantity rather than hold up shipment of large numbers of kits entirely until the next batch of screws came in.

Well, that's my guess, worth what you paid for it.
My comments were based on what Pete said in the video. And I guess I made a mistake. They would have to cough up another dozen of those screws at two per horn. Damn, that is getting expensive isn't it? Maybe two cents.

Gord
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:18 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Another motor. Serious thrust on 4S with 9 inch prop.

I hope another post on the subject of motors does not drive anyone to do anything drastic, but I have found another that might be quite useful in the SSS.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...5-Speed/Detail

Note that, for a 4S battery and a 9x4.5 prop, they list 83 oz of thrust at 47 amps (740 watts). Of course that would require an ESC replacement, but since I will be going with the kit I will just go for a 60 or 80 watt ESC to start with. Also, keep in mind that in the air the current draw should be lower, unless I have it pointed straight up (which might well happen ). Eighty three ounces is almost exactly the weight of the SSS so it should keep going up for quite a while. The low pitch of the prop might make one assume that it would be quite slow. But in order to get that kind of thrust from that prop it would need to be spinning VERY quickly, so it may be reasonably quick in reality. If you need more speed at the expense of thrust you could likely get that with an 8 inch prop with greater pitch. And lastly it is 170 grams. Forty more than stock, but eighty less than the Emax BL3526/04 that LA has just installed, and it actually makes more power than the bigger motor with a 9 inch prop and 4S battery. Of course the Emax with do much more with a 5S battery!

I will be ordering the SSS kit real soon (like tonight probably). I have a strong motor in my regular Sky Surfer and suspect I will miss that performance, so I will be ordering one of these Power Up 25 Speed (not Sport) motors as well.

It will be quite a while before I get it together of course but I will report on the results when I do.

Gord
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Well, After reading that one totally silly way of getting the prop oriented, I will give you the objective and correct way to mount a prop. See the pic below.
AJ
whatever.. that easy way to tell was told to me in this thread by someone that has been here before dirt . And he also gave me the same info you gave.
Last edited by fastfwd; Oct 21, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,279 Posts
Quote:
i think i do now....lol...i think my next maiden will bo allllllright!!!!....wing tube is going to be in middle. got my nice 8x8 prop on correctly....CG seems to be on money...Fuse is nice and solid now....and guess what. i dont even have to take my wings off ever..Fit's right in my SUV so i'm leaving wings on....WHEW,,,now that's a relief....either tomorrow or sometimes during week i will maiden....Thanks guys for the support.......i hope now this thing tugs right out of my hand with a gentle push...
just dont try to climb to fast and you,ll love it !
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:35 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Prop Orientation & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Letters and numbers on APC's and most other props go toward the direction of flight. Then check that thrust is coming from the other side to make sure motor wires are correct. The props go the same direction on both tractor and pusher configs relative to the direction of flight. The mounting is different relative to the motor case. The term "backwards" can be confusing.
For everyone - Forget all about the numbers/letters on props. They are meaningless. Use the picture below and you will be right 100% of the time on ALL planes.

No one has mentioned it yet. But, an 8x8 is WAY too much prop for a 4S Lipo on your plane. The current draw is outrageous and you are losing as much as 40% of the available thrust. An 8x4 or 8x5 would be more reasonable. Please use a wattmeter to find out what prop is ideal for you. IMO, if you even touch a prop, you MUST have a wattmeter to determine what effect your change had on the motor.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
For everyone - Forget all about the numbers/letters on props. They are meaningless. Use the picture below and you will be right 100% of the time on ALL planes.

No one has mentioned it yet. But, an 8x8 is WAY too much prop for a 4S Lipo on your plane. The current draw is outrageous and you are losing as much as 40% of the available thrust. An 8x4 or 8x5 would be more reasonable. Please use a wattmeter to find out what prop is ideal for you. IMO, if you even touch a prop, you MUST have a wattmeter to determine what effect your change had on the motor.
AJ
i have a couple of 8x4.3 electric apc props, would that give me more thrust or less ?? like would it help climb better. stock motor and a 50amp esc with 4amp built in bec. ohh and just so everyone knows,if the inside diameter of your wing tube is bigger than the outside diameter then your wing tube is inside out ! AJ printed that prop orientation out,will check buddies planes,checked mine and lucked out they are on correct.
Last edited by fastfwd; Oct 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:50 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
FINALLY...FINALLY.....Maidened it this morning and it was quite nice i must say. it did take a nice tug. My back is Hurting a little but other than that the 4s made it go up pretty nice. Ok Ok, it was a little tail heavy. i wass fighting with the elevator but nothing major. Just need to add a little more weight to the nose. Once in air it had power to go from one end of park to next very fast. Another words,. it covers air space really quick. Turning is a little Flimsy. but it works. Flaps work really well. But the park i was in was small in the ground area so i had to circle around like 10 times in order to land. There was a point in time where i thought i wasnt going to land and i had to force crash it but i just kept trying and put on flaps and once i went below trees, there was no stopping now, i had to just let it glide to end of park where gate was and it stopped about and inch away from gate without hitting it. Whew,,just made it. Apparently this Glider is too big for this park, It just wont land for Nothing.
My opinion on 4s? well taking off is pretty sufficient, But a 3s i cant imagine using, that would be way underpowered in my opinion. 4s is for sure the way to go on this large glider..Banana Hobby should have made this a 4s Glider from the Get Gooo....................I'm sorry i have no videos but i needed to get to park really early without distraction from people but maiden went well.