SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:02 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
mine are number 2-56 thread 36 inch long and with the golden clevis on each end they fit great
What is the diameter though?
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:11 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Ohh, what is the recommended pushrod diameter and length to replace the flimsy ones?
Some folks have used .045 or .047" diameter steel wire. They mentioned that total length is about 39", give or take, but some hobby shops only sell 36" wire.

I got some 2-56 threaded rod, clipped off two lengths around 5" each, clipped off the pushrods about 1-1/4" behind where they exited the fuselage, and grafted the threaded rods onto the ends with epoxy and thread. Put nylon clevises on the threaded rods since I don't like those "linkage stoppers" on the control horns, and lived happily ever after.

Hard to see in this blurry photo, but the skinny pushrod is bent in a very narrow U shape where it's epoxied to the threaded rod, inside that wrapped-around string and epoxy.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 20, 2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:17 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
L.A, let me know when its in your plane. I'm very interested on your setup.....speaking of which, how far along are you?
Got the motor installed, haven't bored out the APC or EMP props for the collet yet. Motor is connected to the old (60A) ESC, but it might be too much for that ESC. I'm getting in some 4mm paired bullet connectors from HobbyKing tomorrow, will probably install the 100A ESC then with 12ga wires all around. I hope to maiden the new setup Sunday morning, but there's a lot of Halloween stuff to take care of with two sons this weekend, priorities are priorities.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:00 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
i hope someone is up. It's 7:00am Saturday and i actually got my wingtube in and is about to maiden. Nervous as hell. only concern i have is that i noticed the spar seems to be more in 1 wing than the other. i shoved it all the way in one wing. put that wing on fuse and then inserted the other wing but i do noticed slightly that the tube is not as long coming out going into other wing, so it feels like the right side of plane is heavier than the left which may cause it to violently sheer to left or right? is this necessarily true? i hope someone can answer within next 5 minutes cause i have this glider in suv ready to go.
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:58 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
well i guess no one was up so i went ahead and did a Maiden this morning..hmmm,,not good....Not good at all. Ok plane is ok..No damage...but on a 4s 3000mah Lipo, 60a esc and a 8x8 APC E Prop, the plane had no power. i put in my hand above my shoulder ready to launch and gave it full power and motor WAS screaming like it's suppose to but when i launched it, it was really slow like underpowered and it turned right and went straight into ground..fortunately i didnt crash i was able to get it on ground smoothly...,,,,for the life of me i will never figure this out. this had nothing to do with nose ot tail heavy...it just didnt have power....i dont understand it. imagine a 3s...it wouldnt even take off....so on a 4s?????? I hope you guys have a explanation and solution for this..........
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Mar 2012
178 Posts
Is the prop on backwards or is the motor turning the wrong direction?
Calla969 is offline Find More Posts by Calla969
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:59 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Ohh, what is the recommended pushrod diameter and length to replace the flimsy ones?
.47, 36" piano wire will do great as well. That's what I have.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:01 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
when i first spooled it up in my living room the direction of power was towards the nose so i revered one of the motor wires and now the direction was to the rear. i put on a regular 8x8 APC E prop. i didnt buy a pusher prop because they have it wired so the motor turns clockwise when looking at it from behind so i just put a regular APC prop on it. i really dont understand this. i'm trying to figure out why it wasnt enough power...was i suppose to swap 2 wires? i assumed as long as i felt power from behind,,,,the wires were fine. Nothing appeared wrong with the motor...so i dont know...i just dont know...cant fly it until i figure this out..
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:13 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
well i guess no one was up so i went ahead and did a Maiden this morning..hmmm,,not good....Not good at all. Ok plane is ok..No damage...but on a 4s 3000mah Lipo, 60a esc and a 8x8 APC E Prop, the plane had no power. i put in my hand above my shoulder ready to launch and gave it full power and motor WAS screaming like it's suppose to but when i launched it, it was really slow like underpowered and it turned right and went straight into ground..fortunately i didnt crash i was able to get it on ground smoothly...,,,,for the life of me i will never figure this out. this had nothing to do with nose ot tail heavy...it just didnt have power....i dont understand it. imagine a 3s...it wouldnt even take off....so on a 4s?????? I hope you guys have a explanation and solution for this..........
Did you read the whole thread? EVERYONE to my knowledge said that the 3600mah is too light for the plane despite what the manual said. The spar HAS to to be centered. Did you check the cg? Did it check out? Please be careful, hearing that made me shutter......I said NOOooo!!!
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:30 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
well i did find out what the problem was....i had put on a regular APC prop with the letters sticking out. i should have put the prop on backwards....the power was coming out correctly but the pitch was backwards and that's why i didnt have power.....ok so i think i solved that one.
as far as CG..it was good cause i added weight to the nose sufficient enough so CG seemed ok......i will maiden it again another time once i get everything back in order and keep you posted. Thanks for the Info G-LO..
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:37 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,536 Posts
Quote:
well i did find out what the problem was....i had put on a regular APC prop with the letters sticking out. i should have put the prop on backwards....the power was coming out correctly but the pitch was backwards and that's why i didnt have power.....ok so i think i solved that one.
as far as CG..it was good cause i added weight to the nose sufficient enough so CG seemed ok......i will maiden it again another time once i get everything back in order and keep you posted. Thanks for the Info G-LO..
Letters and numbers on APC's and most other props go toward the direction of flight. Then check that thrust is coming from the other side to make sure motor wires are correct. The props go the same direction on both tractor and pusher configs relative to the direction of flight. The mounting is different relative to the motor case. The term "backwards" can be confusing.
Rickochet is online now Find More Posts by Rickochet
Last edited by Rickochet; Oct 20, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:44 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Thanks for the advice...i'll know for sure once i hook everything back. i did discover a new video from banana hobby in regard the Wing Tube. it turns out that my wing tube was pushed into the right wing waaaay more than the left and that's why it turned to the right so violently. So this video address this...i'm sure a lot of people are going to benefit from this video.
go to 4:45 to see what he has to say about the Wing tube...
After all this trial and error, i think my next maiden will be sucessfull.
Super Sky Surfer Q and A Plus Build with Pete in HD! (45 min 48 sec)
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:01 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the advice...i'll know for sure once i hook everything back. i did discover a new video from banana hobby in regard the Wing Tube. it turns out that my wing tube was pushed into the right wing waaaay more than the left and that's why it turned to the right so violently. So this video address this...i'm sure a lot of people are going to benefit from this video. go to 4:45 to see what he has to say about the Wing tube... After all this trial and error, i think my next maiden will be sucessfull.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rCuuoVUGcs
Something I always do with wings that have slip in spars is to measure the center and mark it with a sharpie or if it is dark in color put a small piece of tape on it and mark that. Then when you slip the spar in to the mark and not further. I also like to mark the underside of the wings to let me know that the wings are pushed in all of the way and if they have slipped out some during flight. Something I also do on every plane is to check the lateral balance, not just the CG. Hang some string slings from above and put one on the tail and one on the nose. Let the plane hang to see if one wing hangs lower than the other.
Rickochet is online now Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
"Motor screaming but no flight power" says to me the prop is on backward. You can still get thrust (prop's wind blowing toward the tail) in the right direction when it's on backward, but just not enough thrust.

Here's a simple method for seeing if it's on backward, from the Easystar thread long ago:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6810
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,291 Posts
Quote:
Prop will work both ways,but only have real push when on correct,try it both ways,with hand lightly in front of nose, when it is on correct you will feel the difference , now the battery should be a 3s 5000,(not just power but balance) i know they sell it with a 3s 3600 but everyone went to the 5000 or parallel a 2200 3s with the 3600 3s. On the stock prop on he hub there is a slight ridge on one side that ridge faces out towards tail of plane. (on mine) but try both ways you will feel its power when on correct. also be sure prop adapter is on tight as buddies cam loose on maiden.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd