HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
well after reviewing the video of my buddies crash,i have come to the conclusion it was caused by pilot error he had just flown his smaller lighter glider, and when he took the SSS off he tried to climb to fast to steep,and tried to turn it at the same time, yep stalled it ! he had no aileron control due the fact he was climbing to steep it tipped to the right side and nosed down and boom ! Now i have to explain this so he dont do it again,this is a very heavy plane and cant be flown like a lighter one.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:03 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,607 Posts
I am really considering getting this plane, I have gone through about a quarter of this thread sofar, but I want to ask...

What is the conclusion for the best motor / prop for this plane as well as 3c or 4c? I want good endurance time with enough power to climb well if needed or get out of a jam, but since it will be an FPV platform for cameras I am not going to fly it like it's a sports plane ROFL, I want to be as effecient as possible.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:08 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
well after reviewing the video of my buddies crash,i have come to the conclusion it was caused by pilot error he had just flown his smaller lighter glider, and when he took the SSS off he tried to climb to fast to steep,and tried to turn it at the same time, yep stalled it ! he had no aileron control due the fact he was climbing to steep it tipped to the right side and nosed down and boom ! Now i have to explain this so he dont do it again,this is a very heavy plane and cant be flown like a lighter one.
Four or five pounds for a wing this size isn't particularly heavy.

But even a wing this size, does have to move forward through the air. And when you turn, its needs it even more.

I stalled mine and pranged it a few days ago, coming in on final. I came in too low, applied power and pulled up, then let a few flies bother me as I pulled off power again, and didn't shove the nose down enough. Pilot error all the way.

BTW, when mine was tailheavy, I stalled it all the time, a dozen times evey flight. But for this one where I went down, I had a bigger battery in the nose, and it was actually a little noseheavy (nothing wrong with that). But I wasn't concentrating on short final, I had the flaps down, and pow. (It's fixed now, didn't take much, now I'm putting the bigger motor and 5s battery in).

I did find a way to fly on a calm day with zero forward airspeed, tho... just hook a wing on a convenient street light pole, and the plane spins around and around like a maple seed, fuselage nearly level, and descends like a helicopter.

I don't recommend that technique, though.....
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 19, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:23 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I am really considering getting this plane, I have gone through about a quarter of this thread sofar, but I want to ask...

What is the conclusion for the best motor / prop for this plane as well as 3c or 4c? I want good endurance time with enough power to climb well if needed or get out of a jam, but since it will be an FPV platform for cameras I am not going to fly it like it's a sports plane ROFL, I want to be as effecient as possible.
The original motor with a 4s battery seems to be pretty good, the plane climbs about 30 degrees at full throttle. Original prop may be OK, though, IF it isn't mis-formed as some of them have turned out to be.

But if you go to a 4s battery, I'd get a different ESC if I were you. It's not certain that the original ESC can handle 4s and stay reliable, and the linear BEC can cause it to run hot and have other problems. I put a Hobbywing 60A ESC in mine (it has a built-in 4A switching BEC), and it was nice.

I like occasional real steep climbs too, though, and right now I'm putting this in:

Motor: 3625 860KV outrunner, 1000W for 10x5E or 9x6E prop on 5s battery http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
ESC: Hobbywing 100A, 3A switched BEC http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-flyfun-100a.html (I might use an external switched BEC)
Battery: GensAce 5s 18.5V 4000mAh 25C/50C http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-4000-5s1p.html
Prop: Two-blade APC 9x6E, or 3-blade EMP 9x6

The idea is to let the SSS continue its usual slow-and-stately flying style at 1/2 or 1/3 throttle most of the time, but occasionally climb very steeply for brief periods if/when needed.

Getting that motor in takes some modifying, though. I bolted in a second plywood firewall on top of the first one,cut down and redrilled the aluminum mount that came with the new motor, hollowed out the motor pod to accommodate the larger diameter of the new motor, and will put the ESC under the left wing where it will get more cooling air and let the battery balance the plane a little better (I hope).

A 9" prop seems to be about the biggest one you can put on this plane without the tips hitting the fuselage, unless you raise the motor mount.

This is probably more power than rational people need for this plane. But that huge wing is SO tempting....

And besides, there is always this one:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXLWV6&P=8

Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 19, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:18 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
[

DO NOT do this - You will burn up the ESC, probably in the first flight. The problem is the ESC has to drop ~11.1 to 5v for the receiver. Since it is a linear ESC, the ESC gets a bit hot. When you ask the same ESC to drop ~14.8v to 5v, the resulting heat will toast the ESC and possibly start a fire. Ask me how I know (besides a heck of a lot of reading/research).
AJ
To be safe, get a 60A ESC and a separate 5a BEC (switching). Of course, if you can find a 60a switching ESC with at least a 4a BEC built-in, all is good.
Maybe like this one with a 6 amp switchmode BEC from HeadsUpRc

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...er--60A/Detail
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:16 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
i think i'm going to sell mine. now . my wing tube is very tight and ii can see myself either throwing my back out or breaking wing trying to get it pushed into Fuse..This glider is a lot of work. Should have gotten a more simpler glider...i need something like the parkzone Radian where it's just rudder and elevator. throw the wing on and fly.....I'm posting mine for sale for like $200 if anyone lives in Florida.
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:59 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,036 Posts
Hey....don't throw in the towel just yet!.... Give it a rest first, then take a wack at it .

Do you think you can buy the hollow cf tube? It fits nicely. I just got mine in the other day. Like my mother always said...." Go slow-go sum-mo. Go fast...you won't last."
Take your time on it. You can do it!
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:08 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The original motor with a 4s battery seems to be pretty good, the plane climbs about 30 degrees at full throttle. Original prop may be OK, though, IF it isn't mis-formed as some of them have turned out to be.

But if you go to a 4s battery, I'd get a different ESC if I were you. It's not certain that the original ESC can handle 4s and stay reliable, and the linear BEC can cause it to run hot and have other problems. I put a Hobbywing 60A ESC in mine (it has a built-in 4A switching BEC), and it was nice.

I like occasional real steep climbs too, though, and right now I'm putting this in:

Motor: 3625 860KV outrunner, 1000W for 10x5E or 9x6E prop on 5s battery http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
ESC: Hobbywing 100A, 3A switched BEC http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-flyfun-100a.html (I might use an external switched BEC)
Battery: GensAce 5s 18.5V 4000mAh 25C/50C http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-4000-5s1p.html
Prop: Two-blade APC 9x6E, or 3-blade EMP 9x6

The idea is to let the SSS continue its usual slow-and-stately flying style at 1/2 or 1/3 throttle most of the time, but occasionally climb very steeply for brief periods if/when needed.

Getting that motor in takes some modifying, though. I bolted in a second plywood firewall on top of the first one,cut down and redrilled the aluminum mount that came with the new motor, hollowed out the motor pod to accommodate the larger diameter of the new motor, and will put the ESC under the left wing where it will get more cooling air and let the battery balance the plane a little better (I hope).

A 9" prop seems to be about the biggest one you can put on this plane without the tips hitting the fuselage, unless you raise the motor mount.

This is probably more power than rational people need for this plane. But that huge wing is SO tempting....

And besides, there is always this one:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXLWV6&P=8

L.A, let me know when its in your plane. I'm very interested on your setup.....speaking of which, how far along are you?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:08 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Thanks for the encougement....I will keep trying. In the mean time it is up for sale as a backup for my own peace of mind...but if I can sand down tube or put lub on it or whatever it will take to get in, I will keep trying....the wing goes on, its just the final inserting that's difficult....I did noticed once I took spars out it was sticky substance on spar so that could have been problem.....I'm resting my back now...so tomorrow I will try again......
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Four or five pounds for a wing this size isn't particularly heavy.

But even a wing this size, does have to move forward through the air. And when you turn, its needs it even more.

I stalled mine and pranged it a few days ago, coming in on final. I came in too low, applied power and pulled up, then let a few flies bother me as I pulled off power again, and didn't shove the nose down enough. Pilot error all the way.

BTW, when mine was tailheavy, I stalled it all the time, a dozen times evey flight. But for this one where I went down, I had a bigger battery in the nose, and it was actually a little noseheavy (nothing wrong with that). But I wasn't concentrating on short final, I had the flaps down, and pow. (It's fixed now, didn't take much, now I'm putting the bigger motor and 5s battery in).

I did find a way to fly on a calm day with zero forward airspeed, tho... just hook a wing on a convenient street light pole, and the plane spins around and around like a maple seed, fuselage nearly level, and descends like a helicopter.

I don't recommend that technique, though.....
LOL a SSS heli sweet ! Now i need to get buddy to understand that without air flowing over ailerons they will not work
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
Thanks for the encougement....I will keep trying. In the mean time it is up for sale as a backup for my own peace of mind...but if I can sand down tube or put lub on it or whatever it will take to get in, I will keep trying....the wing goes on, its just the final inserting that's difficult....I did noticed once I took spars out it was sticky substance on spar so that could have been problem.....I'm resting my back now...so tomorrow I will try again......
I dont remove wings i have a small toyota tacoma pickup,so i have to leave tail gate down, i put tie straps from corner to corner making a X in pickup bed,then use kite string to tie plane to that X,works good. My wings were VERY hard to get in so they will just stay there
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,607 Posts
Ok so if I get with the stock motor and a better ESC, what would be the best prop? I assume the stock motor can handle up to 500 watts according to specs, so what prop is going to put me at that on 4s?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,607 Posts
Drats! Stupid Bannana Hobby being in my same state and charging me $12 tax! BUT Now I have an SSS on it's way to me! Now to spend the rest of my pay check on other things like big batteries and stuff ROFL.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,607 Posts
Ohh, what is the recommended pushrod diameter and length to replace the flimsy ones?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Ohh, what is the recommended pushrod diameter and length to replace the flimsy ones?
mine are number 2-56 thread 36 inch long and with the golden clevis on each end they fit great