HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Mar 2012
248 Posts
editNot really sure what happened but I think it was the battery because when I charged it, it would not charge it said voltage error. 0 volts took off the 3700 pack and put it back on and it charged so maybe a bad connection in the pack it self. I was fying about 200- 250 and it just lost power and went straight down. when I get to crash site it was blown out everywhere did not you find the motor . in the picture motors missing
I got a total of 3 flights and the launch is pretty hairy little hard to control not really enough power. Once I got it up it flew really smooth like 2100 gram plane should. I have a gps data logger in the plane (witch was totaled ) and it's indicated. I flew over 50 miles an hour but the climb rate was really bad I really could not it get over 350 feet high maybe 2500-3000 foot park. and it would stall pretty easy. I flew for 12 minutes and use 2900 amp on a 9x6 prop . It landed a little fast
Blaser is online now Find More Posts by Blaser
Last edited by Blaser; Aug 19, 2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: text
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:32 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaser View Post
editNot really sure what happened but I think it was the battery because when I charged it, it would not charge it said voltage error. 0 volts took off the 3700 pack and put it back on and it charged so maybe a bad connection in the pack it self. I was fying about 200- 250 and it just lost power and went straight down. when I get to crash site it was blown out everywhere did not you find the motor . in the picture motors missing
I got a total of 3 flights and the launch is pretty hairy little hard to control not really enough power. Once I got it up it flew really smooth like 2100 gram plane should. I have a gps data logger in the plane (witch was totaled ) and it's indicated. I flew over 50 miles an hour but the climb rate was really bad I really could not it get over 350 feet high maybe 2500-3000 foot park. and it would stall pretty easy. I flew for 12 minutes and use 2900 amp on a 9x6 prop . It landed a little fast
FWIW, when my EZ* lost total power, due to a broken battery wire, it just continued to glide all the way down.

Perhaps your cg may have been a bit off (too far forward???). That behaviour sounds like a deep stall. Did you have a lot of back stick trimmed in?
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:22 AM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,838 Posts
Talking about not much power.It has happened before that the prop was installed backwards as it has happened many time with people on the EZ and other pusher threads.
I would also say nose heavy unless the input during loss of power caused a down attitude.
Sorry for your lose as I know there not fun.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Jun 2010
713 Posts
Quote:
A battery running out of juice or a connection break would not cause any change of flight characteristics with this aircraft. It is, after all, a glider. You should be able to launch this plane without any power being applied at all. As an example, my Radian will glide 300 feet with a power off hand launch. In fact I do a couple of these power off glide tests every time I take it out to check trim before i commit to a flight.

It sounds like your CG was way off or that it shifted in flight if your battery moved.
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,838 Posts
9x6 prop produces 350 watts kinda on the weak side as I like 100w per lb and that would put it in the 450 watt category.
Might be suited for a 4s setup.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
Whoa, not so fast. If you collect all the pieces this airplane can fly again. Gorilla and CA glues plus a little hot water can fix this. Believe me I know. Off course you will have to bury the pilot. He looks dead.

What happened to the battery? Did it fall out of the plane? What were you doing when this happened?

Is this a picture of the crash scene, or a collection of the parts you collected after it hit the ground?
i totally agree- I could fix that and it wouldn't even be hard- I have crashed Radians and easystars into that many peices and they came off the operating table stronger and better than ever'''

By the way i ordered one on friday morning...and a 4000mh 3s battery...
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
A battery running out of juice or a connection break would not cause any change of flight characteristics with this aircraft. It is, after all, a glider. You should be able to launch this plane without any power being applied at all. As an example, my Radian will glide 300 feet with a power off hand launch. In fact I do a couple of these power off glide tests every time I take it out to check trim before i commit to a flight.

It sounds like your CG was way off or that it shifted in flight if your battery moved.
I had the cg right at100mm as recommended I had to put 505 grams in the battery compartment the flight pack 3700 and an other 3000 not hooked up to get cg it was a tight fit it can not move so cg did not move.

And I think 4 cell might be better but my 5000 -4c would not fit
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Mar 2012
248 Posts
I went back to the crash sight and found my motor it looks like it's in good shape
I will mount it on my prop dyno and do a 3c and a 4c test and get the grams of thrust
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:05 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
I had the cg right at100mm as recommended I had to put 505 grams in the battery compartment the flight pack 3700 and an other 3000 not hooked up to get cg it was a tight fit it can not move so cg did not move.

And I think 4 cell might be better but my 5000 -4c would not fit
Not that I have this plane, but thats sounds like a lot of weight, I wouldn't doubt that it'd really struggle on a 3 cell setup.
That's have to be ~1kg of batteries, plus your 500g ballast.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:18 AM
Joined Mar 2012
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Not that I have this plane, but thats sounds like a lot of weight, I wouldn't doubt that it'd really struggle on a 3 cell setup.
That's have to be ~1kg of batteries, plus your 500g ballast.
no I'm saying 505 gram total thats how much the two pack weighted
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
a quick mods

Super sky surfer mods (1 min 27 sec)
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Joined Mar 2012
248 Posts
Ok here are the dyno #'s the stock motor 130 grams stock prop 8x7
stock set on 3c
1120 grams thrust
315 watts
26.1 amp
4c
1630g
583w
38.1a

4c 8x4 speed prop
1605g
453w

3c with a different type of 9x6 prop than what I was fling with
http://www.bevrc.com/bev-gemfan-96-p...1900_p315.html
1480g
470w
39.8a

so it looks like the 8x4 4c is the best setup by far
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:00 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,865 Posts
Mine's on the big, brown truck for delivery this afternoon.

If the supplied motor is indeed about a 35/36 1250kv; most motors this size are rated for about 350-400 watts max. It could be that pushing it beyond this could impact it's efficiency and life.

I'm also concerned that 500g (including the battery) is required to achieve recommended CG. Most 3600 3s weigh around 300-330g. I'd imagine the one supplied with the RTF is in this range, thus requiring nearly 200g dead weight to achieve CG?

It appears the chord of the wing is about 12" which would imply a CG of between 3" and 4" back from LE of wing (using the 25%-33% of MAC rule). If the recommended is 100mm, thats in the range of what would be predicted; but toward the rear of that range. Maybe the recommendation is a little nose heavy?

Maybe I'll be able to answer my own questions later today. In the meantime if anyone has some additional experience, please post your findings.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Aug 20, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:58 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
BTW, the big design deficiency of this monster foamy, is the fact that it uses the integrated linear BEC to drive the radio equipment including all 6 of those 17g servos, which is much too much current demand from any integrated linear BEC on 3S lipo power. Typically, most ESC with built-in linear BEC recommends use with no more than 3-4 micro servos on 3S. This huge model uses 6 mini size servos, and with huge control surfaces, it would be prudent to install a separate switch mode BEC, I'll be using a 5A switch mode BEC.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:01 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
BTW, the big design deficiency of this monster foamy, is the fact that it uses the integrated linear BEC to drive the radio equipment including all 6 of those 17g servos, which is much too much current demand from any integrated linear BEC on 3S lipo power. Typically, most ESC with built-in linear BEC recommends use with no more than 3-4 micro servos on 3S. This huge model uses 6 mini size servos, and with huge control surfaces, it would be prudent to install a separate switch mode BEC, I'll be using a 5A switch mode BEC.
Hi Al
Are you upgrading the power system or just the ESC?
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar