HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Great news!

Unfortunately, the kit is $119 while the ARF is $139.

$20 for six servos and an ESC?
$20 is about right for six low-end servos, and many say they are replacing the stock ESC anyway, so it sounds like a good deal to me. If I wait a little longer maybe there will be a kit package with airframe only, which is the way I prefer to buy planes.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Oct 16, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:35 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
im about to install my control horns and back plate for servos. Manual doesnt say but is it necessary to glue back plate on & Control Horns?? or will the 2 screws suffice.. has anyone used glue? it didnt look necessary but i just want to confirm before i put these screws in and attach to servos...
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
Tricopters Rule
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2012
532 Posts
My motor seems to have a problem, at the end of a flight its stiff to turn over, let it cool and its back to normal.
Whos found a replacement?
Panzlflyer is offline Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:51 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
im about to install my control horns and back plate for servos. Manual doesnt say but is it necessary to glue back plate on & Control Horns?? or will the 2 screws suffice
TWO screws?

Mine came with three for each control horn... and I griped, since each horn is designed for four! But 2 screws will probably do OK, I'd guess.

If I were you, I'd install the flap control horns backward. I've found that (a) they tend to bind when flaps are all the way down, and (b) the flap pushrods (identical to the aileron pushrods) are too long, since the flap servos are mounted closer to the flap horns, than the aileron servos are to the aileron horns. Moving the flap horns back about 1/2 - 3/4", would cure both problems elegantly... or, mounting the flap horns backward would sort of do it too.

Aileron horns are fine, and don't need any such changes.

Quote:
.. has anyone used glue?
"Not I", said the duck. (Sorry, 6yr son is in 1st grade, we just read that one last night)
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:58 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzlflyer View Post
My motor seems to have a problem, at the end of a flight its stiff to turn over, let it cool and its back to normal.
Whos found a replacement?
Mine's fine, no stiffness etc. It's really a pretty good motor... especially if you run it on a 4s battery.

But I'm replacing mine soon with this one, for more power. This one needs a 4s to 6s battery, and bigger ESC.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:02 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
TWO screws?

Mine came with three for each control horn... and I griped, since each horn is designed for four! But 2 screws will probably do OK, I'd guess.

If I were you, I'd install the flap control horns backward. I've found that (a) they tend to bind when flaps are all the way down, and (b) the flap pushrods (identical to the aileron pushrods) are too long, since the flap servos are mounted closer to the flap horns, than the aileron servos are to the aileron horns. Moving the flap horns back about 1/2 - 3/4", would cure both problems elegantly... or, mounting the flap horns backward would sort of do it too.

Aileron horns are fine, and don't need any such changes.

"Not I", said the duck. (Sorry, 6yr son is in 1st grade, we just read that one last night)
actually i do have 4 screws, but manuals photos only show 2 installed. ok thanks. good advice on the Flap solution but i'm kinda not understanding. maybe if u were to upload a photo of your wing, that way i can physically see what your talking about...Please do if you can.
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
actually i do have 4 screws, but manuals photos only show 2 installed. ok thanks. good advice on the Flap solution but i'm kinda not understanding. maybe if u were to upload a photo of your wing, that way i can physically see what your talking about...Please do if you can.
Mine are installed as the instructions call for... but I wish I had installed them backward.

Basically, as originally designed, the holes in the horn line up with the hinge line of the flap. but then when the servo rotates all the way forward, to lower the flaps all the way, the flap horn points almost straight forward, and the pushrod forms a straight line pointing almost at the hinge line.

If I were to unbolt my control horns and move them back (toward the trailing edge) maybe 3/4", then their holes will no longer line up with the flap hinge line. For most controls (rudder, elevator, ailerons) that would be bad. But since flaps move only down and not up (above the wing), it's OK to have the horn move asymmetrically.

That explanation probably didn't help, did it. I'll try to take some pics when i get home, if there's time.

But you might try mounting one control horn on one flap, hooking up the servo, and seeing what happens when the flap is lowered like 45 degrees down. The servo cannot pull it any farther than that. You'll see why. If it tries, it simply strains without moving any further - basically it is stalled. That drives the current it pulls, WAY up, and can even damage the servo.

Just don't do what I did: Don't clip the flap pushrod with cutters to make it shorter. If you want yours shorter, I'll trade you for mine!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:52 PM
Tricopters Rule
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2012
532 Posts
Quote:
Mine's fine, no stiffness etc. It's really a pretty good motor... especially if you run it on a 4s battery.

But I'm replacing mine soon with this one, for more power. This one needs a 4s to 6s battery, and bigger ESC.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
Mine was fine then after a flight I noticed an electrical burning smell, took it out looked fine, put it back in and noticed it was draggy after the next flight but fine if let sit, maybe a winding gone.
I had just placed an order from Headsup for a motor just before your post.
Panzlflyer is offline Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:53 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,295 Posts
Quote:
just put mine in as per the manual ! I did also glue them as well as use the screws
fastfwd is online now Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:54 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
just put mine in as per the manual ! I did also glue them as well as use the screws
Did your flap pushrods fit?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:29 PM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Katerini
Joined Jun 2012
29 Posts
Where is this shipped from? US or somewhere in Asia?

Imports from US (of this size) are hard to pass free through Greek Customs...
theo_mich is offline Find More Posts by theo_mich
Last edited by theo_mich; Oct 16, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Did your flap pushrods fit?
yes indeed and they work great,no problems at all ? what happened with yours ??
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo_mich View Post

Imports from US (of this size) are hard to pass free from Greek Customs...
mine came from USA
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:36 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Great news!

Unfortunately, the kit is $119 while the ARF is $139.

$20 for six servos and an ESC?

They now have all spare parts for the SSS, also in stock according to their website. When I bought my ARF, all parts were "out of stock" back then.
http://www.bananahobby.com/5-ch-supe...-1727-ctg.html
Unfortunately, you can't buy just the canopy-and-hatch-cover set - I'd love to have one plain and one with camera mounted.
Yep, when posting I thought another line but forgot to add it. It would have been that it will be more expensive this way but at least I will not have to worry about cheap servos and ESCs causing it to become a very large lawn dart. Sure would be nice if it were another $10 or so less expensive as a kit, but it is what it is. And I have had wonderful service from the original 1.4M Sky Surfer that I built from a kit, so I like this approach.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:30 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo_mich View Post
Irwindale, CA, near Los Angeles.