SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:08 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
With a 3S it may be running on the ragged edge ESC with an internal switchmode BEC. It depends on servo load and current draw plus ESC cooling. Just make sure the ESC is getting plenty of air and it is not buried in the airframe. My Skysurfer with flaps has an external BEC but I am more concerned with Spektrum brownouts than ESC shutdown.
Thank You very much. I have the stock ESC in mine (well, stock everything (electronics). Since it is linear, I can see the handwriting on the wall - Safety first. I will put in a 5A BEC (switching). Again, thanks. You make it very clear what I should do. I sorta, kinda felt like I should put an external BEC to begin with. But, your information seals the deal.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:12 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Thank You very much. I have the stock ESC in mine (well, stock everything (electronics). Since it is linear, I can see the handwriting on the wall - Safety first. I will put in a 5A BEC (switching). Again, thanks. You make it very clear what I should do. I sorta, kinda felt like I should put an external BEC to begin with. But, your information seals the deal.
AJ
AJ,

You are very welcome, but you knew you had to put one in anyway.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:32 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

You are very welcome, but you knew you had to put one in anyway.

Bill
Yes. But, it was just that I needed a little shove from you to do it.
AJ
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:35 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,300 Posts
With all of the talk about keeping the esc where it will get airflow, and some of the reports of the esc getting hot when installed in under the canopy. Will just installing a seperate BEC alone let everything run alot cooler? On my setup, I am running a 4s 4000 a Castle 10 amp Bec on the stock ESC and an 8x6 APC prop. So I hope that this will run cool enough to keep everything under the cockpit without cutting any holes.
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
With all of the talk about keeping the esc where it will get airflow, and some of the reports of the esc getting hot when installed in under the canopy. Will just installing a seperate BEC alone let everything run alot cooler? On my setup, I am running a 4s 4000 a Castle 10 amp Bec on the stock ESC and an 8x6 APC prop. So I hope that this will run cool enough to keep everything under the cockpit without cutting any holes.
Short answer. Yes.(without the "alot" in the sentence, since that is subjective).
AJ
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:57 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Finally - The day was PERFECT in all ways

The maiden was wonderful. Enjoy.
I will be posting a couple more videos in a few minutes.
I did have skids on both wing tips.
AJ

SSS#1 Maiden (3 min 49 sec)
Last edited by ajbaker; Oct 14, 2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Add skid comment
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:15 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
More videos

As the battery got lower, the SOGATO did not work. So, I had to do a hand launch which was the first for this plane. It worked out very well.
SSS#3 Frustration and Hand Launch (2 min 51 sec)

I broke some rule guidelines on this one (WAY over the recommended 3 minutes). But, Check the action at around 7:40.
SSS#2 Inverted and Rolls (11 min 44 sec)

AJ
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:28 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
As the battery got lower, the SOGATO did not work. So, I had to do a hand launch which was the first for this plane. It worked out very well.
http://youtu.be/XD3-8rbe924

I broke some rule guidelines on this one (WAY over the recommended 3 minutes). But, Check the action at around 7:40.
http://youtu.be/7-8ufNbdSwA

AJ
AJ,

Very cool. The inverted pass at .001 mistakes high was very cool.

Put a 4S in that puppy. It's a pig on 3S.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:40 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
I'm impresssed AJbaker.......
Actually Tomorrow is my big day...I should get my Super Sky Surfer Arf in the mail sometimes in the afternoon.
10/15/12....
i didnt wasted anytime. i ordered my 4s and 60a esc at the same time. i'm not even gonna maiden mine with a 3s...i need some launching power cause i have to hand launch it. i hope there's not much building. I wonder how long it takes to put the whole thing together....
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:49 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
ill watch videos later ! Right now im out the door for maiden flight ! try to get video
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:49 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,300 Posts
Nice AJ!! I really enjoyed watching your videos. I hope my maiden will go as well as yours. I have a replacement servo that I need to install, and then on to final setup, but won't get a chance for maiden on mine until next weeekend. if the weather is good I'll be able to do the maiden on the SSS and a new regular SS v3
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:58 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,177 Posts
How did you feel about your power in your new motor, Aj?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:19 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
....I also purchased a new 4s 3000mah. hmmm i should have went to 5000mah? oh too late now..i guess 3000mah will have to do....
A 4S 3000mAh packs the same amount of energy as a 3S 4000mAh.
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:21 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
A 4S 3000mAh packs the same amount of energy as a 3S 4000mAh.
Thanks Mike. Do you think i will need to ad weight to the nose?..i hear most people r using 5000mah lipo..
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Nov 2008
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
Thanks Mike. Do you think i will need to ad weight to the nose?..i hear most people r using 5000mah lipo..
From previous posts the total weight needed in battery compartment is about 500grams.... that matches my HK 3s5000mah plus 40grams or so of ballast I had to put.

I would think in your case you'd be adding close to 100grams of ballast
fbitz777 is offline Find More Posts by fbitz777