SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:43 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
I ordered this Super Sky Surfer last week and i'm suppose to get it in the mail Monday..Am i to expect to spend most of my time modding this Glider? I hear reports about the Wing Tube and other things...Is this a Glider i can consider RTF out the box? I dont want to be ordering no Wing tube from CA and other parts. i thought the parts on this Glider was sufficient enough. Has anyone Took out the box, assembled it and then Flew it Stock with all the included parts?? I'm starting to get a little worried now.
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:46 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Outer diameter of tubes and rods is controlled better than ID or wall thickness during the mfg. process.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
I ordered this Super Sky Surfer last week and i'm suppose to get it in the mail Monday..Am i to expect to spend most of my time modding this Glider? I hear reports about the Wing Tube and other things...Is this a Glider i can consider RTF out the box? I dont want to be ordering no Wing tube from CA and other parts. i thought the parts on this Glider was sufficient enough. Has anyone Took out the box, assembled it and then Flew it Stock with all the included parts?? I'm starting to get a little worried now.
Some people report their wing spar takes some effort to put in. Mine might be an extreme case.

Tail pushrods are pretty skinny. The instructions tell you to slide a plastic tube (provided) over the last 6" or so. Some people put in thicker pushrods (or clevis rods) instead.

If you can fit your spar rod into the wing tubes, you should be able to fly as-is. Most other mods are "peace of mind" things IMHO.

Check your CG (Center of Gravity, or balance point). The manual calls for it to be 100mm behind the wing leading edge. I had mine at 104mm behind (I wasn't using a standard battery), and the plane was tricky to control. A bigger battery moved it up to 93mm behind the LE, and now it flies great. Bring some weights to put in the nose if needed.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 13, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:35 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
mfg. process.
This is more of a question. As you know, I have a fair understanding of ESC's and BEC's. But, I am not clear with myself whether I should put a separate BEC (switching, of course) in this plane since I have (like many folks) 6 servos. I am deferring to your knowledge and experience on this one. Pros, Cons -Your thoughts? TIA.
AJ
P.S. STILL waiting to do my maiden.....
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:08 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
The only real thing that i feel should be done is replace the control rods for elevator and rudder,there just to thin for safety Other than that it will fly fly just fine stock. I put in a bigger amp esc just for safety sake.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:10 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
This is more of a question. As you know, I have a fair understanding of ESC's and BEC's. But, I am not clear with myself whether I should put a separate BEC (switching, of course) in this plane since I have (like many folks) 6 servos. I am deferring to your knowledge and experience on this one. Pros, Cons -Your thoughts? TIA.
AJ
My self i just put in a stronger esc with a built in 4amp bec, and i have yet to maiden it,was going out today but the wind is just horrible !!
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Nov 2008
243 Posts
Quote:
I flew hours as it came out of the box without a problem...I bought it as ARF
so I put a 3S 5000mah battery for which I get 40-60 minutes of flying includng many take-offs from the grass. Battery , ESC and motor
are just mildly warm everytime I checked.

I would assume that if you bought RTF and the battery supplied is smaller you would need to put 100 grams or so in the nose.
fbitz777 is offline Find More Posts by fbitz777
Last edited by fbitz777; Oct 13, 2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: adding detail
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:06 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
I purchased the ARF version from Banana Hobbies and then i went ahead and got a 60a esc with a 3a bec built. I was only $20 from Hobbypartz..it has a 3a bec built in. i also purchased a new 4s 3000mah. hmmm i should have went to 5000mah? oh too late now..i guess 3000mah will have to do. So that's the only Mod i'm doing is switching to a 60a and 4s. i believe i need to change my prop? Someone suggested take the stock prop off if i'm moving to 4s and get a 8x8 APC...So i hope with this setup i can hand launch and get decent take off lift.....
i'll post photos Monday night once i get it. BTW if i use a 3000mah,,,do i really need to add weight to the nose?
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Nov 2008
243 Posts
Quote:
I purchased the ARF version from Banana Hobbies and then i went ahead and got a 60a esc with a 3a bec built. I was only $20 from Hobbypartz..it has a 3a bec built in. i also purchased a new 4s 3000mah. hmmm i should have went to 5000mah? oh too late now..i guess 3000mah will have to do. So that's the only Mod i'm doing is switching to a 60a and 4s. i believe i need to change my prop? Someone suggested take the stock prop off if i'm moving to 4s and get a 8x8 APC...So i hope with this setup i can hand launch and get decent take off lift.....
i'll post photos Monday night once i get it. BTW if i use a 3000mah,,,do i really need to add weight to the nose?
4s 3000mah is probably close to my 3s 5000mah (403grams)..still I added 40 grams to the nose to balance.
fbitz777 is offline Find More Posts by fbitz777
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:50 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
AJ
With a 4S and six servos with large control surfaces it's the safest thing to do. That is, install a separate BEC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:35 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
BEC question for Prof100

Quote:
With a 4S and six servos with large control surfaces it's the safest thing to do. That is, install a separate BEC.
I can see by your answer that I did not provide enough details. I am going to use a 4000mah -30C LiPo. Should I still put in a separate BEC? TIA.
AJ
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:44 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
I can see by your answer that I did not provide enough details. I am going to use a 4000mah -30C LiPo. Should I still put in a separate BEC? TIA.
AJ
3S or 4S? MAH doesn't make any difference. It's the voltage of the pack that worries me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:48 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
3S or 4S? MAH doesn't make any difference. It's the voltage of the pack that worries me.
Gee whiz. I will get this right yet. Sorry. - 3S. TIA
AJ
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:59 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Gee whiz. I will get this right yet. Sorry. - 3S. TIA
AJ
With a 3S it may be running on the ragged edge of an ESC with a internal switchmode BEC. It depends on servo load and current draw plus ESC cooling. Just make sure the ESC is getting plenty of air and it is not buried in the airframe. My Skysurfer with flaps has an external BEC but I am more concerned with Spektrum brownouts than ESC shutdown.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Oct 14, 2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:07 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
i believe i need to change my prop? Someone suggested take the stock prop off if i'm moving to 4s and get a 8x8 APC...
I did my first five flights with 3s and the stock prop. It kept vibrating although it appeared to be balanced. Finally took a close look and found that the two blades were not 180 degrees apart! More like 178 or so. Both props that came with the plane were like that. At least one other poster has said he found that, too. I had an APC 9x4.5E sitting around, so tried that and the plane flew well enough, and without vibration. See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t#post22893382

Then went to 4s (two 2s 4000mAh batteries from an R/C car, in series) with the stock motor and a 60A ESC with 4A switching BEC. And I'm using a three-blade EMP 8x6 prop. The plane climbs noticeably better. ESC gets a little warm, it might be too much propeller for the stock motor.

If I were you I might try an APC 2-blade 8x6E prop on the stock motor with 4s. Then move to others and see if things start getting hot.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn