HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:48 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
My apologies to all. Sometimes I talk too much. I have now ceased that.

In the future I will posts brief facts about what has worked well.
sweet, now let us all carry on i like the old saying KISS (keep it simple stupid)
Ill be hauling the big ole thing out today to fly,so will update,and try to get video of it flying,and hopefully not crashing
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:41 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
3 days and a wakeup!

3 days and a wakeup and I blow this joint for the warmer climes of Yuma and my SSS that has been patiently waiting for me down there to assemble it. Reading all the posts has really got me amped for getting it up into the air. In the long winged variety, I've got a Radian, an Easy Fly, and Easy Glider pro all of which I really like. I will be looking forward to seeing how this one compares to the others.

I'm ready to roll!!

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:11 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:

Another interesting motor for the SSS: http://www.electrifly.com/motors/gpmg4505.html

Scroll down to the "Rimfire .46". 4725 outrunner, 1000W continuous, 1850W burst, 800KV, 5-6s LiPo, 9.5oz. They recommend a 60A ESC. Specs describe it turning a 10x5 or 11x5 two-blade electric prop, both too big for the SSS's motor mount without modification. I wonder how it would do with a 9x6 three-blade or 9x7 three-blade?

Manual here, it mentions a max surge current of 100A(!). http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/rimfi...tem-manual.pdf

Amazon.com says they have 20 left, for $99.94 each. http://www.amazon.com/Great-Planes-4...ds=rimfire+.46
They say it comes from Toysonics (Los Angeles), but Toysonics' site says they don't have them(?).
The suggested power system for that motor is a 6S battery and a 10x5 or larger prop. You are using a 4S battery. With that motor you would have to go to a very large prop (11,12,13 inch) to produce reasonable power on 4S. And it might not even work well then. RPMs would be very low, probably far below the most efficient (or even useful) RPM of the motor. But you can't use those large props on the SSS anyway. I am sure you would be very sorry if you spent $100 on that motor for this plane. Even if you wanted to go to 6S batteries it would not be very satisfactory with a 9 inch prop.

The one you ordered from Heads UP RC (http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail) should be very good in the SSS. Particularly with a three blade 9x6 prop or a 5S battery. Let us know how that one works out!

Gord

BTW, that 1850 watts burst doesn't make sense. With a fully charged 6S that would require about 73 amps. They are recommending a 60 amp ESC. Seventy three amps would require heavier wires, heavier battery connectors and such. In other words the ratings of those motors are quite questionable.
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Last edited by Gordks; Oct 09, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:27 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
The suggested power system for that motor is a 6S battery and a 10x5 or larger prop. You are using a 4S battery.
For now.

4s seems to work well for me with the stock motor and 3-blade 8x6 prop.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:23 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Although I have not maidened mine yet, the only thing I found (so far) that I would call "necessary" is changing out the stock control rods. The stock rods are .032" and woefully skimppy for this plane (i.e. I only use that size is my micro planes). So, I suggest that you use .047" music wire. Be aware though that most LHS sell music wire only in 36" lengths. The length you need is approx. 39" or so. So, you need to solder a bit more onto a 36" music wire (or whatever you are comfortable with-there are several ways to do that).
I hope to have a video very soon to share instead of just talking about it.
AJ
Is in the plane as we speak.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:46 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Couldn't stand looking at pics and videos, broke down and bought it.
Couldn't agree with you more......i cant stand looking and not having...lol... .this is torture......i ordered the Super Sky Surfer arf, 60a esc, and a 4s 3000mah lipo for more climbing power. Tracking from banana hobby as of 10/10 shows delivery date of 10/15.....the wait is killing me.....
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:41 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Back on Track?

Please stay on topic! RCGroups rules can be read here, offending posts and intentional counterproductive/ self serving and trolling posts will be reported from now on:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/wlist.php

If that doesn't curb the gross violators, this thread WILL be locked in favor of starting a new/fresh thread about the SSS.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,522 Posts
OK that's odd I thought for a minute that I clicked on the Super Skysurfer thread but instead found a thread cluttered with arguments and bickering
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Last edited by Dogdude; Oct 11, 2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:24 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude View Post
OK that's odd I thought for a minute that I clicked on the Super Skysurfer thread but instead found myself in the girly bitch slap handbag fight thread
And comments like you just made will only sustain its off topic problems.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude View Post
OK that's odd I thought for a minute that I clicked on the Super Skysurfer thread but instead found myself in the girly bitch slap handbag fight thread
This is called Provocative Trolling and is a violation of forum rules. That kind of poster is not welcome here.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:59 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Several posters have questioned whether the stock SSS ESC (3A BEC, rated for 4 or 5 servos in the manual) can handle the SSS's six 17-gram micro servos.

In posts 12 and 13 of an older RCGroups thread, two guys measured the free-moving current and stall (blocked from moving) current of some typical medium-sized (37g to 45g) Futaba servos. They measured 60 to 105mA with zero to "light" loads, and 430 to 500mA stall current when the servos were blocked from moving. (See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...43#post6388771 )

If the SSS's 17g micro servos' performance is in that ballpark (they may be less since they are smaller and lower-torque), you'd have to stall all six of them simultaneously, to reach or exceed the 3A provided by the SSS stock ESC. It's probably nearly impossible to do that (stall all six at the same time).

I think we're safe, unless the SSS's micro servos somehow draw more current than those larger Futaba servos.

Don't try this at home, you can damage a servo by blocking it from moving while giving it commands to move.
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 10, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:57 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,615 Posts
Quote:
Several posters have questioned whether the stock SSS ESC (3A BEC, rated for 4 or 5 servos in the manual) can handle the SSS's six 17-gram micro servos.

In posts 12 and 13 of an older RCGroups thread, two guys measured the free-moving current and stall (blocked from moving) current of some typical medium-sized (37g to 45g) Futaba servos. They measured 60 to 105mA with zero to "light" loads, and 430 to 500mA stall current when the servos were blocked from moving. (See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...43#post6388771 )

If the SSS's 17g micro servos' performance is in that ballpark (they may be less since they are smaller and lower-torque), you'd have to stall all six of them simultaneously, to reach or exceed the 3A provided by the SSS stock ESC. It's probably nearly impossible to do that (stall all six at the same time).

I think we're safe, unless the SSS's micro servos somehow draw more current than those larger Futaba servos.

Don't try this at home, you can damage a servo by blocking it from moving while giving it commands to move.
A 4S with a linear BEC is a recipe for disaster simply because of the voltage step-down to servo voltage generates far too much heat which can and will shut down the ESC. A 3S with 4 analog servos (with no binding) is the maximum or 3 digital servos . Six servos ona linear internal BEC is insanity and suggesting it is OK is absurd.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:54 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
A 4S with a linear BEC is a recipe for disaster simply because of the voltage step-down to servo voltage generates far too much heat which can and will shut down the ESC. A 3S with 4 analog servos (with no binding) is the maximum or 3 digital servos . Six servos ona linear internal BEC is insanity and suggesting it is OK is absurd.
A good point I hadn't thought of. A linear BEC with a 3s (11.1V) battery that puts out 5V to its servos at 3A, is dissipating 18.1 Watts into heat by itself. With a 4s (14.8V) battery the BEC alone is dissipating 29.4 Watts. That's a lot, and would be added to the heat generated by the ESC itself.

Of course, you'd still have to stall all six servos simultaneously to achieve that 3A draw, if these 17g servos draw as much as the larger, higher-torque 37g and 45g Futaba servos in the other thread.

Prof, you've had extensive experience with servos, ESCs etc. Could this BEC-dissipation problem be why the builders of the linear-BEC 40A ESC in the SSS manual rated it for only 4 servos and a 3s battery, while they rated the switched-BEC 40A one for 5 servos and up to a 4s battery?

And, do you have any educated guesses about how much current these 17g servos in the SSS might draw under "normal" loads the SSS may put on them? I've been unable to find any documentation - that older thread where the guys tested their Futaba servos, is the closest I could find, and they didn't test "normal" loads.
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 12, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:22 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,615 Posts
2010 thread on UBECs

LA,

Here is a good thread on the subject of UBECs and servo amp draw.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t#post14191710
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:10 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,300 Posts
Has anyone had any problems with servo centering? I'm trying to get mine finished up to fly this weekend,weather permitting, and my elevator servo will not center. if I give it down elevator it will center properly If I give it up elevator it will not return to the same center position, it will always return to the same off center position at a significantly up elevator position.
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead