Thanks!
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2012
227 Posts
3.2 in opening
the motor with the 8x7 prop puts out 305 w at 25a
but with a 9x6 prop it is 360w at 30 amps Ithink I will try the 9x6 first thing in the morming
Blaser is online now Find More Posts by Blaser
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:59 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
384 Posts
This is torture... I keep checking this post and another board with a thread about the Super Skysurfer... hoping...waiting... for more pics and info and hopefully video and flight reports soon. This is unhealthy... I need to get a life.

Would this be a hand launched plane, or could you roll out on the fuse wheel?
SquireM is offline Find More Posts by SquireM
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:08 AM
Joined Mar 2012
227 Posts
ready

Sorry for the bad cell phone photo. but all pained up it will fly in just hours
it took 500 grams in the battery compartment to get CG later it will be easy to get CG with a camera over 2000 g all up weight
Last edited by Blaser; Aug 18, 2012 at 01:17 AM. Reason: add text
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:47 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Wow, I'm keen, but ill wait til someone other then banana hobby sells it
Don't hold your breath, nobody else has this.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:54 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaser View Post

Sorry for the bad cell phone photo. but all pained up it will fly in just hours
it took 500 grams in the battery compartment to get CG later it will be easy to get CG with a camera over 2000 g all up weight

WOO HOO! It looks awesome! Waiting anxiously for your flight report.

BTW, what size of lipo did you use?
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:10 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Hay guys this is Eckace and i'm on Scotts comp and I talked him in to getting one as he ordered it yesterday.
Bad thing is after i watch his fly I might have to pull the trigger myself.
Scotts shipping was only $18 not bad for that large box.
We were wondering if you could go 4s in the bat department for a little more goand still use the stock esc or would you need a separate bec?
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
227 Posts
well it's flew great untill it didn't, something happened to the battery and it just fell out of the sky came down so hard, destroyed everything it flew okay like it was heavy which it is. but its look great it was smooth and it will never fight again

Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:42 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,256 Posts
Quote:
well it's flew great untill it didn't, something happened to the battery and it just fell out of the sky came down so hard, destroyed everything it flew okay like it was heavy which it is. but its look great it was smooth and it will never fight again

What happened prior to the crash?
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:58 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2soar View Post
What happened prior to the crash?
Damn! I'm sorry that happened to your plane man. I'm trying to think of something comforting to say but nothing comes to mind.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:06 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,655 Posts
That's the one downside to such a massively scaled up plane. A micro plane can nose dive and come out unscathed. A 1.4m SS can maybe cartwheel at slower speed and be mostly unscathed. A 2.5m SS just isn't going to bounce and come out unscathed. Too much physics vs gangly empennage.

I still like a lot about the plane, and would consider it to replace my Zephyr 2 as a smooth, longer range easy launch cruiser which can also dance. But it will never be as crash resistant as a Ritewing.

Might buy it anyways, since I love my SSv4 a LOT. Somebody set up us Da Bomb
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:23 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:

Oh no!!!!!! Sorry to hear about this.

How long were you flying before the mishap occurred? were there any visible symptoms of something failing just before you lost control?
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:19 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Except for cast foam air planes most planes cannot take a crash. Some explode into fragments others break into fixable parts glass and balsa. Takes much knowledge and skill to remake them.

The designers of these foam planes do not make them to be crash resistant. There is no reason for them to do that unless their designing a 'crash-proof' plane.

It's not "Oh the more of them they destroy the more money we make". No if it will fly and you can't fly it. Balls in your court.

How could a marketing plan include a predetermined consideration for "I can't fly it, I crashed it, I want my money back".

Well designed foam airplanes have opened this hobby / sport to hundreds, and more, me for one.
The foam plane with Lipo batteries and brushless motors are a marvel and the abuse they will take is amazing.

Crash resistance still is subject to the laws physics. If it's lite, and not too big the material foam will make it very durable.
Consider this, If the wings are modified to make them very strong then they will tear the foam apart on 'nose in ' impact. If they are weakly attached then they will pull loose and the load on the fuselage is diminished on impact.com

Thats why the Sky Surfer design is such a good balance of all the physics involved.

"Weight works against strength"
-Henry Ford
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Aug 18, 2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:40 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,931 Posts
Quote:

mate, there is little that can be said on a downed plane, and assuming this happened not long after maiden, that is a short lived & painful end.
was it the battery that failed? or the motor or esc?

how many flights did you clock up on it before the demise?
could you please enlighten us what the flight characteristics are?
does she float? at all? or too heavy/wing loading?
is the power from the stock motor adequate?
would you consider the air frame decent to fly?

my apologies for the questions, but i know a few other guys who are waiting with just as much anticipation as myself for flight reports
personally I'd like to think this SSS will be a replacement for my cularis... powered glider at this size seems a great compromise to me, but I'll need to install all the electrics during the build... it will depend on what the flight reports come back with for me to decide how intense i go with the gear i install...

so sorry to see it, and the great effort on the paint job... would you be tempted to but another, given the arf price is so cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Consider this, If the wings are modified to make them very strong then they will tear the foam apart on 'nose in ' impact. If they are weakly attached then they will pull loose and the load on the fuselage is diminished on impact.com
yup
2 bixlers
#1 mate uses nothing other than tape to secure his main wings
the rest of us had our own ways to secure

#1 mate's bix is the only one still flying after inumerable tree/bush/fence crashes
granted his bix is rock stock and only flies at stock speeds, but on impact the main wings pop off and everything just pops back together and keeps flying... most times...

a quick note on this SSS
i generally dont trust stock motor/esc/bec on such a large and cheap arf, there is no way you can expect quality at a price such as this
imho motor/esc/bec & flight batt are the most likely to fail inflight (and stock equipment especially)... so with this in mind, all my planes that can justify the extra weight of an independant rcRx battery pack I do so, this way any failure of the drive train [motor/esc/bec & flight batt] can fail and i still have full control over the plane to land dead stick
most of us know this already, but i thought i'd mention it for the benefit of those who are fairly green in our flight hobby... i think this SSS is too big to have no safety redundancy
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Aug 18, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Jun 2010
706 Posts
Quote:

Whoa, not so fast. If you collect all the pieces this airplane can fly again. Gorilla and CA glues plus a little hot water can fix this. Believe me I know. Off course you will have to bury the pilot. He looks dead.

What happened to the battery? Did it fall out of the plane? What were you doing when this happened?

Is this a picture of the crash scene, or a collection of the parts you collected after it hit the ground?
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Last edited by cliffkot; Aug 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM.