HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2005
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
just for curiosity sake,what is the average age of people buying this glider ? I am older than dirt
I'm 74 and still flying both RC and full scale planes. Age is just a mind thing.

HB
howieb38 is online now Find More Posts by howieb38
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:30 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
just for curiosity sake,what is the average age of people buying this glider ? I am older than dirt
I've seen ranges from 20-60 at our club. I think this is one of those planes that transcend age. It's goes across the spectrum of functionality and usage too. I've seen older ones get turned into float planes, mock pylon racers, dogfighters, nightfliers, and of course FPV. I have not seen it set up as a slope plane though, the older or newer style. I've never flown that type of plane but have to imagine this would be great for that.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:13 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
1. Ah. Got it. I understand your wording now.
2. I am going to take your advice. The control rods in the plane are .032. That is just plain nuts. I only use that size on my micro flyers. I am going to put in .047. I buy all my music wire in 3' lengths. So, length won't be a problem
3. Mine has very noticeable right thrust (See Picture). The motor is twisted CCW resulting in a right thrust. That seems OK to me because of the left torque roll induced by the motor.
4. Why are you using such a high Kv motor? I always use the smallest Kv motor that I can reasonably use on an airplane just because the lower the Kv, the more efficient the movement of air over the prop. After I fly it (once or twice), I will use a 3536-1450 motor (See Picture) with a 9x6 prop. Besides being more efficient, it will be quieter.
Is that motor 3 cell or 4 cell rated?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:30 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Short Answer-Both.
A bit longer answer - That exact motor is no longer made. The replacement motor is HERE. The new one is a fabulous motor. I have two of them in a Fun Cub and Lazy Bee and it is almost too much motor for those planes. So, it should do a very good job for the SSS. Of course, I won't know until I try it. I will report back with #'s and video when I fly with that motor.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Oct 02, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:30 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,807 Posts
Quote:
Yes.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:33 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,129 Posts
Can you post the specs, please?
Last edited by G-LO; Oct 07, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:42 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,129 Posts
Nevermind. I found it...

http://skyhobby.en.alibaba.com/produ...ner_Motor.html
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,533 Posts
Quote:
I am not familiar with this vendor. Many of us buy our Turnigy motors and other products from Hobby King. They list several variations of that motor. Here is one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14342

PS Note: After posting this I saw that AJ had already done so.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Oct 03, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:06 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,129 Posts
Thanks Kaptondave. I will definitely keep my eye on that and the separate hardware you can buy that not included.

What do y'all think of this motor. I have one coming.....

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...dsh-16)/Detail
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:34 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
1. Ah. Got it. I understand your wording now.
2. I am going to take your advice. The control rods in the plane are .032. That is just plain nuts. I only use that size on my micro flyers. I am going to put in .047. I buy all my music wire in 3' lengths. So, length won't be a problem
3. Mine has very noticeable right thrust (See Picture). The motor is twisted CCW resulting in a right thrust. That seems OK to me because of the left torque roll induced by the motor.
4. Why are you using such a high Kv motor? I always use the smallest Kv motor that I can reasonably use on an airplane just because the lower the Kv, the more efficient the movement of air over the prop. After I fly it (once or twice), I will use a 3536-1450 motor (See Picture) with a 9x6 prop. Besides being more efficient, it will be quieter.
Hi AJ. If you normally use the lowest Kv motor that is reasonable, I am wondering why you would be going to a 1450 kv motor when the original motor is 1250 Kv (if reports I have seen earlier are correct). I'm sure you have a good reason, just wondering what it is.

I notice that, in the Info and Facts post #829, it is stated that the stock motor (not absolutely positive of that it seems) with a 9x6 prop is running 470 watts on 3S. The HK page for the replacement for the motor you will use says it will be running about 432 watts with the same prop and battery. That seems odd to me. I would have expected that 1450Kv motor to run a higher wattage than the 1250Kv with the same prop and battery. But if it is correct, why go to a lower power?

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:49 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Kaptondave. I will definitely keep my eye on that and the separate hardware you can buy that not included.

That's a VERY interesting motor for the SSS. It has higher KV than most outrunners of this size, meaning it's capable of turning a propeller faster than the others... if it's the right propeller.

It mentions taking in power of up to 500 Watts with an APC 8x6E prop (an excellent propeller, same size as the stock SSS prop but MUCH better made), and nearly that with a 9x4.5E with greater static thrust, all on a 3s LiPo battery.

Further, it says it can handle up to a 4s LiPo battery. I wonder what the current draw with a 4s battery would be? The website says that 500 Watts is the max for this motor, and must not be drawn for more than 30 seconds. Would a 4s battery use more than 500W? It would depend on the propeller, of course, and also on airspeed.

You'd have a LOT more power with this motor, than with the stock SSS motor. The SSS will never be a fast plane, of course, it's a powered glider. But this motor would help the climb rate a LOT, which this plane really needs IMHO. And then you can spend most of your time cruising around at half throttle - my favorite flying mode, anyway.

And it would be VERY interesting to put a 4S battery into it, just to see what happens. Careful, though, you might get smoke if you push such a configuration too long and hard.

With this motor you would certainly need an ESC with higher current capability than the stock ESC, of course. At least 50A, and if it were me I'd use a 60A or maybe an 80A, just to have a cooler-running ESC with a comfortable margin.

If I hadn't just received a 3640-3900KV inrunner in the mail yesterday, I'd look seriously at this motor. Sounds like a REAL good one.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:58 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:

Looks like it would be a great motor with maybe a 9x4 prop, but put a bigger ESC in the plane too!

I have the Firepower 15 Sport in an Electrifly 48 inch Super Sportster EP with a 12x6 on it and it is definitely a great combination for that plane. I will be using more of this series for sure.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Last edited by Gordks; Oct 03, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:19 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,129 Posts
Thanks guys. They shipped today after ordering.

LA, I'm like you, I don't want a F-18. I just want a little more Ump; some get up and go when needed. Just want to float till next week..that's all.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:45 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,129 Posts
Oops
Last edited by G-LO; Oct 03, 2012 at 04:18 PM.