HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:59 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca View Post
Checking in. I just learned about this bird!

Aeronca
You mean you haven't ordered one yet???

Fifty lashes.

BTW, see the Technical Info/FAQs sections for the Super Sky Surfer here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22886340
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 02, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:28 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I had the same thought,. I think that Little-Acorn has visions of becoming known as the SSS Guru so is salting the thread.
Quote:
So you want to populate your empty threads with all of the good stuff and have Doubletap link to them, making you the SSS Guru? Sounds like a great plan.
Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have an axe to grind on what subject? I simply stated that I did not think we needed a separate "mods" thread, based on what happened with the same idea on the Radian forum. That does not mean that I am against mods. As I said they are the meat of any model-specific forum.

Who is the "his" that are you referring to? I was responding to a post by Howie. I did not say his post was not helpful. He asked a question and I stated an opinion.

Try again stating your problem with me, whatever that might be.

Ya, I guess the LA I was referring to was to cryptic, I just thought you would be able to figure that out. LITTLE-ACORN.

I apologize on the axe to grind comment, looking at the above noted posts from you I guess I can see now that they are helpful, and supportive, and add value to the thread.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:44 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
It does not matter if anyone minds or not since you have gone ahead "reserved" not just a couple, but a half-dozen. What is the point? Why not just post your mods as you go, like everyone else does?
Or start the blog with all info. and post the link here
Helps to weed out unwanted replays too LOL
Your, posts will be lost here after few more pages
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:07 PM
A wing and a prayer
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
I just unboxed mine. It looks good so far. I still don't know how I'm going to get it to the field after I put the wings together.
keok is offline Find More Posts by keok
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Deleted
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Oct 02, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:24 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,218 Posts
Done with this thread.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Oct 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:41 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keok View Post
I just unboxed mine. It looks good so far. I still don't know how I'm going to get it to the field after I put the wings together.
It barely fits in my Toyota Sienna with the wings and tail on. Have to fold the back seats down and most of the middle seats flat, and put a cardboard box just behind the middle seats for the plane's wheel to rest on.

What kind of car?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
LA i didn't go back to look, but are your wings in permanently? Mine wedge in pretty good with no tape or connections other than friction. I don't plan on doing more than a loop here and there and hauling up a camera, at best a GoPro
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
1. Ah. Got it. I understand your wording now.
2. I am going to take your advice. The control rods in the plane are .032. That is just plain nuts. I only use that size on my micro flyers. I am going to put in .047. I buy all my music wire in 3' lengths. So, length won't be a problem
3. Mine has very noticeable right thrust (See Picture). The motor is twisted CCW resulting in a right thrust. That seems OK to me because of the left torque roll induced by the motor.
4. Why are you using such a high Kv motor? I always use the smallest Kv motor that I can reasonably use on an airplane just because the lower the Kv, the more efficient the movement of air over the prop. After I fly it (once or twice), I will use a 3536-1450 motor (See Picture) with a 9x6 prop. Besides being more efficient, it will be quieter.
Yes that is normal for the motor we have all had the same thoughts when we unpacked the plane I got me some 36" gold-n-rods by sullivan they are number 2 48 thread and came with the servo connectors that thread on each end,had a heck of a time breaking the stock plastic tubes loose so i could replace them with the sullivan tubes
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:03 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
LA i didn't go back to look, but are your wings in permanently? Mine wedge in pretty good with no tape or connections other than friction. I don't plan on doing more than a loop here and there and hauling up a camera, at best a GoPro
No, I sanded down the main spar so they slide on a little more easily. Only real obstacle to removing them now, is that you have to reach inside the fuselage to unplug the aileron and flap servos, every time. I'm going to modify the plugs so you can plug the servos into the outside of the fuselage after installing the wings, instead. Did something similar to my regular SkySurfer's aileron servos, I got the idea from poster Prof100 in the regular SkySurfer/Bixler thread. See:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post18650739

For the SSS, might use a single 4-pin plug for each wing instead of the current two 3-pin plugs for each wing. Quicker and easier to install/remove the wings, and less chance of accidentally plugging the aileron servos into the Flap cable etc.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
yup, makes sense, I'll check that out. Thanks
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:41 PM
A wing and a prayer
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
What kind of car?
Jeep Cherokee
keok is offline Find More Posts by keok
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:46 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keok View Post
Jeep Cherokee
Hmmm, the SSS has just short of an 8-foot wingspan when the wings are in place.

As I mentioned above, I'll eventually set mine up so the wings can be quickly removed. It's not quite there yet.

Can you put an 8-foot-long 2x4 board in your Cherokee?

If not, then removable wings may become a necessity for you.

Have you tried running the long main spar (a long solid rod maybe 4 feet long, it's down near the bottom of the box) into each wing? How difficult is it? (Mine was VERY difficult, I eventually sanded it down to a slightly smaller diameter).
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
just for curiosity sake,what is the average age of people buying this glider ? I am older than dirt
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Good grief people. Unsubscribed!!!!!
Don don,t do it !! Stick around and share your experience !