SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:36 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
It does not matter if anyone minds or not since you have gone ahead "reserved" not just a couple, but a half-dozen. What is the point? Why not just post your mods as you go, like everyone else does?
I just spent an hour leafing thru the thread looking for a few bits of info. It would be nice if most such stuff were all in one place.

It would be nice if the thread owner (Doubletap) could post a link to these posts, in his original post that started the thread.

Or better yet, (if possible) maybe one of the forum moderators could create some empty posts just after Doubletap's, and put information like this there, at the beginning of the thread, as threads for other planes (Easystar, regular Sky Surfer etc.) have done. Then we can get rid of these posts in the middle of the thread.

Of course, everyone can and should go right on posting all their stuff at the end of the thread, building it up as it goes along, just as all other threads do. But when particularly good stuff comes up, it can be linked to in these "FAQ" posts too. Then months later, when somebody tries to recall "Oh, where was that info about different propellers for the SSS?", he can go to the beginning of the thread and find a link, without digging thru a couple hundred or a thousand pages of posts (the other planes' threads have gotten that long!).

Sound like a plan?
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:45 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
I had the same thought,. I think that Little-Acorn has visions of becoming known as the SSS Guru
Nope, don't have either the time or the talent.

But I wouldn't mind giving it a push to get started. and then contributing what I can later, as other people contribute.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:53 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,129 Posts
Thanks LA. I needed that info.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:09 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong911 View Post
Scott,

Stock ESC/BEC? My gosh that's a bad crash. Maybe a power failure? If the receiver has never hinted at a misstep, then maybe it didn't have enough voltage. Hard to prove. Flaps on the SSS are stock, right? Is the stock BEC rated at 3 amps? If so, not enough, IMO.

I'm never again going to rely on the stock ESC/ BEC to give me enough juice to run stuff.

--Jason
yes stock- and maybe that is the issue as i had just went to a 9x6 prop and this was the test flight- watt meter read 350 watts and 29 amps was probably using 3 or 4 servos as i was in a coordinated turn and leveling out of a climb and with throttle at 80 percent when input freeze occurred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Maybe you got shot down by a signal from somewhere else? Though that's rare for a 2.4GHz system, I guess it's not unheard of.

How were the batteries in your transmitter?
tx battery was/is ok still reads 8.1 volts- haven't charged yet- when fully charged it reads 8.9v, have flown down to about 7.9 before- was only 3rd flight of the day- i think it was at 8.3v before the flight
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:13 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,807 Posts
Quote:
Too bad about the loss of your plane but thanks for posting the photos. That is the most destructive crash I have ever seen. It is especially sucky that you will never know what happened so can't do anything to avoid having it happen again.
Just a guess but I brought over a 9x6 prop to try and yes we did a meter reading showing 340w at 29 amps but with the 6 servos it might have overwhelemed the esc. One thing we might look into is if the esc still works.

I was there and flying but watched as it was at full throttle but no response from inputs.

I fly 72 so I'm not up on 2.4 with brown outs.

one other thing if the esc failed wouldn't the motor stop and not be at full throttle?
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:16 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,298 Posts
LOL well i was messing with the program they use to make models for Clearview simulator, First a made the Sky Surfer bigger in clearview, then imported it into AC3D and made the ailerons longer. SO when i saved the files and put them into the clearview folder here is what i came up with. My wife says the SSS WILL be painted with this scheme LOL.No idea what i did to make it go this color ?
fastfwd is online now Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:21 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Too bad about the loss of your plane but thanks for posting the photos. That is the most destructive crash I have ever seen. It is especially sucky that you will never know what happened so can't do anything to avoid having it happen again.
thanks for the sympathy
still not sure if I will get another- it sure never flew like my beloved radians- as a matter of fact - nothing i have seen does- However I will say the SSS flies inverted amazingly well...
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:22 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,807 Posts
Ok from my observation with Scotts SSS.

1- its way underpowered look for 500 watts.

2 replace the spar.

3 replace the esc or use a bec with stock esc.

4 4000mah bat works for balance if your using aka flying with cams but Don is right with 5000.

5 stock servos are fine and work well.

6 Remember this is not you typicall bixler or Easy Star it weighs 5lbs not 1.5 so please fly in a open field.

7 the old is new again 72mz
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:23 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,129 Posts
LA.,are you at all interested in putting a 9x5 prop on your plane being that you had a few flights on it?
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Ok from my observation with Scotts SSS.

1- its way underpowered look for 500 watts.

2 replace the spar.

3 replace the esc or use a bec with stock esc.

4 4000mah bat works for balance if your using aka flying with cams but Don is right with 5000.

5 stock servos are fine and work well.

6 Remember this is not you typicall bixler or Easy Star it weighs 5lbs not 1.5 so please fly in a open field.

7 the old is new again 72mz
Got the lighter spar coming, got a bigger esc,got a huge field Now i have a new motor here for my Sbach,it is good up to 1000 watts and 70 amps, it is a 3720 650KV would it work on this SSS be enough power or to much ??
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:52 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,129 Posts
[QUOTE=fastfwd;22887706]Got the lighter spar coming, got a bigger esc,got a huge field Now i have a new motor here for my Sbach,it is good up to 1000 watts and 70 amps, it is a 3720 650KV would it work on this SSS be enough power or to much ??[/QUOTE
Okay .... that's what I'm talking about here.

What motor is that and where could someone get one? I'm sure in the future to come, folks will be going that route.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,298 Posts
[QUOTE=G-LO;22887750]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Got the lighter spar coming, got a bigger esc,got a huge field Now i have a new motor here for my Sbach,it is good up to 1000 watts and 70 amps, it is a 3720 650KV would it work on this SSS be enough power or to much ??[/QUOTE
Okay .... that's what I'm talking about here.

What motor is that and where could someone get one? I'm sure in the future to come, folks will be going that route.
I bought it as a spare for my Dynam Sbach, i need confirmation that it will work before i try to use it, got it here
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...6m-p-1349.html
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:59 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
LA.,are you at all interested in putting a 9x5 prop on your plane being that you had a few flights on it?
VERY interested. But the stock ESC is rated for 40A continuous, 55A burst. Blaser found out that the motor draws nearly 40A at full throttle with a 9x6 prop, that's sort of pushing the limit for me. And we don't know what happens in flight, motor will turn faster, will it draw even more current?

So I might wait until I put my 60A ESC in it, and just enjoy it as it is for now.

But hmmm, there are three hobby shops within half a mile of each other, right on my way home tonight, hmmm....
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:01 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Now i have a new motor here for my Sbach,it is good up to 1000 watts and 70 amps, it is a 3720 650KV would it work on this SSS be enough power or to much ??
Too much for what?

Airplanes cannot have too much power. Only too much weight.

And if you're worried, that's what the throttle stick is for.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Finally some pictures.

* Super Sky Surfer p0rn! She's naked, she's naked!

* See the 1/16" threaded rod epoxied to the elevator pushrod, wrapped in string. Thread probably would have looked somewhat neater.

* Also the aluminum piece epoxied to the bottom of the fin, added to make the tail removeable, and corresponding 3/16" plywood piece epoxied to the fuselage under the stab, with blind nuts for the nylon bolts that hold the tail on. Soon I will press the blind nuts fully into place with some epoxy under them, and reinforce both the aluminum-connector mount and plywood mount.

* Lots of left thrust in the motor mount from the factory, so much that I had to put a washer between the prop and the drive plate on the motor shaft so the prop would clear the cowl. Not sure if that angle is deliberate, but the plane flew pretty straight. If it works, don't fix it!

* Like father, like son. Two Sky Surfers!
How did ya get your stickers off? Mine seem to be stubborn.
Livesimply is offline Find More Posts by Livesimply