HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
256 Posts
Scott,

Stock ESC/BEC? My gosh that's a bad crash. Maybe a power failure? If the receiver has never hinted at a misstep, then maybe it didn't have enough voltage. Hard to prove. Flaps on the SSS are stock, right? Is the stock BEC rated at 3 amps? If so, not enough, IMO.

I'm never again going to rely on the stock ESC/ BEC to give me enough juice to run stuff.

--Jason
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:36 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,011 Posts
Done with this thread.
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Oct 10, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:46 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
this was not the planes fault- that is crystal clear- never have I had a motor stay on with all the controls frozen- i was dumbfounded and just stared as it plummeted to earth- no response to anything- and i had 500 feet to play with...
Maybe you got shot down by a signal from somewhere else? Though that's rare for a 2.4GHz system, I guess it's not unheard of.

How were the batteries in your transmitter?
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:51 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Little, i ended up sanding the CF rod as well with fine sandpaper and it went in fine. Thanks for your pics, the plane looks great. Love the tail mod.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:51 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,011 Posts
Done with this thread.
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Oct 10, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:13 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
What is that super-heavy spar that comes with the SSS, made of anyway? Fiberglass? Carbon-fiber? Concrete?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
I'm leaning towards lead?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:42 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,113 Posts
Simple yet crazy question I have about the "DL" system. I never knew about that system until tonight but,...ok, I've read that its mostly for fpv right? Can it it be used ONLY for every day, solid, on brown out Rc flying? Does that make Any sense? Or is the DL system only for just video /fpv, period?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:11 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong911 View Post
Scott,

Stock ESC/BEC? My gosh that's a bad crash. Maybe a power failure? If the receiver has never hinted at a misstep, then maybe it didn't have enough voltage. Hard to prove. Flaps on the SSS are stock, right? Is the stock BEC rated at 3 amps? If so, not enough, IMO.

I'm never again going to rely on the stock ESC/ BEC to give me enough juice to run stuff.

--Jason
one of the first things i did,was put in a different esc, not enough cash to go very much so i got a 50amp with a built in 4amp bec.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:21 AM
Tricopters Rule
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2012
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Simple yet crazy question I have about the "DL" system. I never knew about that system until tonight but,...ok, I've read that its mostly for fpv right? Can it it be used ONLY for every day, solid, on brown out Rc flying? Does that make Any sense? Or is the DL system only for just video /fpv, period?
Use it like a normal setup.
Panzlflyer is offline Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:22 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I finally got tired of trying to ream the main spar into the wings last night. It never got any better, even after many tries, the only result was that my hands got really tired. If I hadn't been watching Superman II with my sons, probably couldn't have done it at all. So when I got up this morning, clamped my hand belt sander upside-down into the vise, turned it on, and sanded the entire main spar from one end to the other, rotated it slightly, sanded again, rotated a little more, etc. etc., until I had sanded the entire surface for halfway around the spar. Then it fit!
Another method would be to use some cloth back sandpaper that you can find in the plumbing section of your hardware store. It comes in a roll and used to rough of brass fittings. Rip off 6" piece, clamp the rod and sand it with the sand paper in each hand using a "shoe shine rag" like method. I use this to sand the tips of graphite golf shafts.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Another method would be to use some cloth back sandpaper that you can find in the plumbing section of your hardware store. It comes in a roll and used to rough of brass fittings. Rip off 6" piece, clamp the rod and sand it with the sand paper in each hand using a "shoe shine rag" like method. I use this to sand the tips of graphite golf shafts.
that's a great idea, never would have thought of that. Much easier than the paper backed stuff.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:46 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The stock BEC is a 3A linear .
Really? BH really messed up if this is the case. Never had a brownout with my Spektrum 2.4, although I use no less than a 3A switching BEC on my planes and external ones with more than 4 servos. That's just wrong...
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:47 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzlflyer View Post
Use it like a normal setup.
Thanks for the response. Glad to know that just in case...when tax time rolls around.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:39 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Yeah this plane is heavy and faster than it looks- and when it hits the ground- kaboom !!! I may be a puss- but I wont get another one anytime soon- its back to my Radians and Easystars and Mustang and Slow stick-- the plane was cool- but just too heavy to survive a Loss of signal- and I never could get it to climb higher than my Radian- where its larger size would have let me see it better and go higher- I guess I got it for the wrong reasons-

well, live and learn- was an expensive day....but no lives were lost, my wife didn't leave me, and I still have a job.... and some beer in the fridge- so I do have a reason to live after all....
Not true. Your pilot was definitely dead!

Sorry about your loss....
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks