HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:40 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
scottdearinger's Avatar
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
PLANE FOR SALE CHEAP !!!!
Name: SSS1.jpg
Views: 309
Size: 194.4 KB
Description:

Name: SSS2.jpg
Views: 216
Size: 228.8 KB
Description:

Name: plane for sale.jpg
Views: 206
Size: 257.7 KB
Description:
My first smoked lipo- not something i wish to repeat...
Name: lipo fried.jpg
Views: 215
Size: 178.9 KB
Description:
Ouch!!! gopro lens smashed and it won't turn on
Name: broken gopro.jpg
Views: 481
Size: 103.7 KB
Description:
Beware- SSS pilot tends to lose his head in an emergancy
Name: headless.jpg
Views: 221
Size: 172.1 KB
Description:
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:50 PM
Registered User
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
PLANE FOR SALE CHEAP !!!!
Attachment 5196032

Attachment 5196033

Attachment 5196034
My first smoked lipo- not something i wish to repeat...
Attachment 5196035
Ouch!!! gopro lens smashed and it won't turn on
Attachment 5196036
Beware- SSS pilot tends to lose his head in an emergancy
Attachment 5196037

How much shipped? :-)

OUCH, what happened?
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:56 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
scottdearinger's Avatar
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2soar View Post
How much shipped? :-)

OUCH, what happened?
see post #795- it sucked= big sucking sound
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:56 PM
UAV Guy
UAVJOE's Avatar
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
I'm glad I was not the only one who crashed their SSS 2.4 today.
I found out today that it is not a good idea to decending quickly and pull up. The elevator ripped off and continued to dive right into the ground. I never knew foam could explode.


Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
PLANE FOR SALE CHEAP !!!!
Attachment 5196032

Attachment 5196033

Attachment 5196034
My first smoked lipo- not something i wish to repeat...
Attachment 5196035
Ouch!!! gopro lens smashed and it won't turn on
Attachment 5196036
Beware- SSS pilot tends to lose his head in an emergancy
Attachment 5196037
UAVJOE is offline Find More Posts by UAVJOE
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:27 PM
Nakelp
nakelp86's Avatar
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Well folks- I no longer have a SSS-

the 9x6 prop worked great- i had 350 watts of power and with the hollow spar was able to climb decent.

the plane was about 500 feet up, and 800 feet away, when I had a 2.4 ghz brown out or lock out- or I don't Know what the hell to call it- the plane was at near full throttle and in a turn when i lost all radio function- no rudder- no elevator- nor ailerons- and throttle stayed on all the way to the ground in a fast 45 degree dive .......

the lipo burned, 3 cameras broken, including a gopro- the plane hit pavement- Anyone want to buy a fixer-upper? would now fit in a much smaller box...maybe in about 20 pieces-so some assy required...

lost 1 #11 key cam $30, 1 HK wing cam $37, 1 gopro naked $179, 1 rx no longer trustworthy $39, and 1 SSS $139- I know how to repair planes- not this one- way too many pcs..

good news- the hollow spar is intact and so is the motor and esc- the receiver appears intact- but not sure i want to trust it- I bought it on ebay as new and only flew it in this plane- I think it was my 7th or 8th time out with the SSS- tx is a newer Hi-tec optic 6 that has never lost signal as long as I have used it (8 months... rx is a hitec optima 6 - i have used this same combo out to 2000 ft and 2800 ft altitude with my Radians...
I do not believe I will purchase another SSS- it just hits too hard when it crashes and doesn't fly as well as my Radians
I may post a couple of its last flight videos yet- was nice talking to you all-
Oh man, that hurts deep inside.
But this is one of the reason I invested in DL.
Will NEVER EVER fly 2.4Ghz, anything else but 2.4.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:30 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
scottdearinger's Avatar
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVJOE View Post
I'm glad I was not the only one who crashed their SSS 2.4 today.
I found out today that it is not a good idea to decending quickly and pull up. The elevator ripped off and continued to dive right into the ground. I never knew foam could explode.
Yeah this plane is heavy and faster than it looks- and when it hits the ground- kaboom !!! I may be a puss- but I wont get another one anytime soon- its back to my Radians and Easystars and Mustang and Slow stick-- the plane was cool- but just too heavy to survive a Loss of signal- and I never could get it to climb higher than my Radian- where its larger size would have let me see it better and go higher- I guess I got it for the wrong reasons-

well, live and learn- was an expensive day....but no lives were lost, my wife didn't leave me, and I still have a job.... and some beer in the fridge- so I do have a reason to live after all....
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:36 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
scottdearinger's Avatar
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Oh man, that hurts deep inside.
But this is one of the reason I invested in DL.
Will NEVER EVER fly 2.4Ghz, anything else but 2.4.

How much for DL?
I am now doubting my TX and I never had before- I had been so damn high and far out with my radian that I needed a spotter with binocs to tell me my orientation and direction... using it for last 8 months or so- and I was starting to think my optic 6 was a darn good radio-
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:41 PM
Registered User
G-LO's Avatar
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,135 Posts
Very SORRY about that!

What is DL?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:41 PM
Registered User
howieb38's Avatar
United States, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2005
43 Posts
Wow! That's scary Scott. Sorry about the crash. When I bought mine, the first thing I did was to install a Spektrum AR7000 dual link full range RX. I've had problems in the past with some of the receivers that are "Park Flier" RXs and didn't realize until it was to late.

I've been loving mine so far. Don't get discouraged. It may fly again, but the Go-Pro many not survive.
howieb38 is offline Find More Posts by howieb38
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:50 PM
Nakelp
nakelp86's Avatar
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
How much for DL?
I am now doubting my TX and I never had before- I had been so damn high and far out with my radian that I needed a spotter with binocs to tell me my orientation and direction... using it for last 8 months or so- and I was starting to think my optic 6 was a darn good radio-
Its kind of pricy but not much more than buying two SSS.
And I swear by it:
here is the link: http://www.dragonlinkstore.com/v2/node/32
before you jump do the research if you can use yr radio with it (probably can )
all it takes is plugging in few wires.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:51 PM
Nakelp
nakelp86's Avatar
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Very SORRY about that!

What is DL?
Its a UHF bullet proof system. Dragon Link.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Last edited by nakelp86; Sep 30, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:51 PM
Registered User
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
PLANE FOR SALE CHEAP !!!!
Attachment 5196032

Attachment 5196033

Attachment 5196034
My first smoked lipo- not something i wish to repeat...
Attachment 5196035
Ouch!!! gopro lens smashed and it won't turn on
Attachment 5196036
Beware- SSS pilot tends to lose his head in an emergancy
Attachment 5196037
wow !! you dont bloody mess around when you crash !! Was the brown out in your normal flying area or a new area ? That just flat sucks !!
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:59 PM
Registered User
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
PLANE FOR SALE CHEAP !!!!
Attachment 5196032

Attachment 5196033

Attachment 5196034
My first smoked lipo- not something i wish to repeat...
Attachment 5196035
Ouch!!! gopro lens smashed and it won't turn on
Attachment 5196036
Beware- SSS pilot tends to lose his head in an emergancy
Attachment 5196037
Owie owie owie... my profoud sympathies, Scott. Had something like that happen to a Lanier U2 74" glider I put a motor on. Nearly as I can tell a battery cable solder joint broke just as it was nosing up slightly and I gave it a down-elevator command. Controls froze in that position, including the down-elevator. Motor lost power of course, but still it nosed slowly over into a very majestic dive from some 200 feet up, steeper and steeper, and impacted vertically. Looked a lot like yours after that.

When a horse bucks you off, climb right back on. Get another SSS, fly it for a few flights, then sell it. Don't let the plane get the last word.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:13 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
scottdearinger's Avatar
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Owie owie owie... my profoud sympathies, Scott. Had something like that happen to a Lanier U2 74" glider I put a motor on. Nearly as I can tell a battery cable solder joint broke just as it was nosing up slightly and I gave it a down-elevator command. Controls froze in that position, including the down-elevator. Motor lost power of course, but still it nosed slowly over into a very majestic dive from some 200 feet up, steeper and steeper, and impacted vertically. Looked a lot like yours after that.

When a horse bucks you off, climb right back on. Get another SSS, fly it for a few flights, then sell it. Don't let the plane get the last word.
this was not the planes fault- that is crystal clear- never have I had a motor stay on with all the controls frozen- i was dumbfounded and just stared as it plummeted to earth- no response to anything- and i had 500 feet to play with...
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:25 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
scottdearinger's Avatar
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
wow !! you dont bloody mess around when you crash !! Was the brown out in your normal flying area or a new area ? That just flat sucks !!
It was not our "normal" field ,but we had flown there a couple times before- never had an issue there before- is perplexing
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Banana Hobby BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer JoshB Electric Plane Talk 12 Feb 14, 2012 11:01 PM
Found Looking for BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer Airframe Only or Wing Set cutty01 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Aug 16, 2010 03:16 PM
Discussion BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer Aerobatic Flench Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 4 Feb 13, 2010 03:17 PM
Discussion sky surfer powered parachute $29.95 w/ Free shipping interplanet Hot Online Deals 26 Dec 30, 2008 10:58 PM