Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:02 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,043 Posts
Thanks guys. Will do.

Will y'all be using metal servos in your setups? Or is that obvious on count of large control surfaces?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:51 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Bah, hurry up hobbyking and sell one of these with 'giant bixler' plastered on it
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:31 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
ok got the SSS all put together with new heavy duty control rods and gold-n-rod clevis,s .IM using a 3s-2200 30c and a 3s 3600 30c in parallel and it balances out great at 100mm . Sits level with neither wing dropping. using a Turnigy9X TX and RX have flaps working (a little fast when i drop them) but they work fine. Time for a maiden as soon as the Idaho wind calms down a bit !!
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
... have flaps working (a little fast when i drop them) but they work fine.
Here is a little gadget that will let you slow down flap deployment. It works great but only in one direction. They will deploy as slowly as you like but retract at normal speed.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8863
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:03 AM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Mar 2012
173 Posts
If you install er9x or open9x on your TX, you can easily program the flaps to slow down.
Calla969 is offline Find More Posts by Calla969
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:35 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Here is a little gadget that will let you slow down flap deployment. It works great but only in one direction. They will deploy as slowly as you like but retract at normal speed.

I use some of those. One adjustable potentiometer adjusts speed of deployment, one adjusts speed of retraction and the third controls direction of one of the servos so you do not have to rewire the servo or cut new servo mounting cavities as you might when using a normal Y cable.

So you can have slow retraction as well if you like. A great little device!

Note: It is probably not compatible with Spektrum gear. On this page (http://www.spektrumrc.com/Experience...Practices.aspx), in the right column (Don't), second from the bottom.

"Don't use electronic reversing Y's

They can cause issues. Run the servo directly to the receiver, or use a reversed servo as a last resort."

Don't know what those issues are, but I have had no problem at all with Hitec gear.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Last edited by Gordks; Sep 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post

nice got it on the way.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calla969 View Post
If you install er9x or open9x on your TX, you can easily program the flaps to slow down.
Well isnt there some soldering involved or a program board ? I read something about the flashing of new firmware but it scared me sure hate to mess up all my settings,as i have 4 planes and two helicopters on it right now.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:03 PM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Mar 2012
173 Posts
There is some very basic and easy soldering and you need a $5 programmer. WELL worth the trouble.
Calla969 is offline Find More Posts by Calla969
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Did you change the ESC before you started running 4S? or at least installed a separate switching BEC? because the cheapo stock 40A ESC with the integrated Linear BEC no way it will handle nearly 17V 'on a freshly charged 4S lipo" for very long, AND running 6 servos stepped down to 5V, that setup is a disaster waiting for happen. I wouldn't even run the stock ESC/BEC on 3S with a 6 mini servo drive load, I'm replacing the stock ESC with a 50A with a separate 5A witch mode BEC, just to fly on 3S.
I never flew the stock ESC on 4s.
seojeff is online now Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Did you change the ESC before you started running 4S? or at least installed a separate switching BEC? because the cheapo stock 40A ESC with the integrated Linear BEC no way it will handle nearly 17V 'on a freshly charged 4S lipo" for very long, AND running 6 servos stepped down to 5V, that setup is a disaster waiting for happen. I wouldn't even run the stock ESC/BEC on 3S with a 6 mini servo drive load, I'm replacing the stock ESC with a 50A with a separate 5A witch mode BEC, just to fly on 3S.
Scott is going to try a cc-35 with a 10 amp external with 4s should give it more go power.
Plus I,m trying to talk him into replacing that super heavy spar and I do mean way heavy and way overkill.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calla969 View Post
There is some very basic and easy soldering and you need a $5 programmer. WELL worth the trouble.
is there a step by step ?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Sep 2004
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
excellent ! just how much wind did you have ? was sure bouncing around..
It was pretty windy 10MPH with 20MPH gusts. The site has trees on the windward side so it breaks up the air and makes it very turbulent. Made for an extra challenge.
ssgtakeo is offline Find More Posts by ssgtakeo
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:40 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
490 Posts
Flew my SSS with the new carbon spar tonight. Takes off WAY faster, climbs faster and runs a LOT longer on the same pack. The weight savings makes a huge difference and doesn't impact CG at all. Highly recommended.
seojeff is online now Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:44 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,043 Posts
Seojeff, are you using stock servos?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO