SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:32 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
Very sorry to see this happen. But this crash couldn't be due to faulty design. I've been assured that I don't know what I'm talking about when I point out exactly these things.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
This crash couldn't be due to faulty design. I've been assured that I don't know what I'm talking about when I point out exactly these things.
I wouldn't say it's a faulty design, just a detail that requires special attention. When I hooked them up I kinda thought there was too much slack in the holes - I should have mitigated it then but I pressed on and forgot about it.
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:37 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seojeff View Post
WARNING!

If you have a SSS please double check your control rod connecting to the elevator. The rod is too thin for the holes in the servo arms and can come disconnected during flight unexpectedly. This happened to me tonight and resulted in a high-speed nose dive straight into the ground. Fortunately I wasn't very far away so I was able to recover all the bits except for the axle that holds the landing gear wheel. I'm going to attempt to rebuild it but it will never be the same. Really bummed because I loved this plane and it was gorgeous.
That is a bummer for sure but from what I see its fixable.
Just ask others here in the kit forum that have seen my crash videos.
Dubro connectors would help plus they also have larger rods.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:43 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
WARNING!

If you have a SSS please double check your control rod connecting to the elevator. The rod is too thin for the holes in the servo arms and can come disconnected during flight unexpectedly. This happened to me tonight and resulted in a high-speed nose dive straight into the ground. Fortunately I wasn't very far away so I was able to recover all the bits except for the axle that holds the landing gear wheel. I'm going to attempt to rebuild it but it will never be the same. Really bummed because I loved this plane and it was gorgeous.
Ouch! Sorry to see that happen. But as long as it is partially dissembled, is that a carbon fiber rod I see between the two sections of the fuselage in the center photo? If so, it looks like they have done a fair job of strengthening this plane with CF. Probably would be worth replacing all that linkage hardware with something more reliable since it looks as if the plane will fly forever as long as it doesn't run into something. One of the on board videos a few days back showed a little rotation of the tail in a couple of maneuvers but no appreciable deflection vertically or horizontally, and I have not seen much wing flex either. Pretty solid locking plane.

Good luck with getting it together again.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:19 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Will the SSS ROG on grass or does it need to be hand launched?
rises right off grass easy-- see this

Huge Super Sky Surfer maiden flight (5 min 42 sec)
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:44 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
WARNING!

my flying buddy and i both replaced the thin wires, i didn't like them the minute i seen them. way way to small for this plane ! Went to a local shop and got bigger control wires for the whole plane.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
That is a bummer for sure but from what I see its fixable.
Just ask others here in the kit forum that have seen my crash videos.
Dubro connectors would help plus they also have larger rods.
Use gorilla glue,it is light (almost turns into foam) can be sanded and painted.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:04 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
WARNING!

Feel bad for you but Ive seen worse and nothing that glue cant fix it .
nakelp86 is online now Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:43 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
rises right off grass easy-- see this
Thanks Scott. I saw this when you first posted it but forgot. I am an old fart and my memory is short.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Last edited by Rickochet; Sep 08, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Thanks Scott. I saw this when you first posted it but forgot. I am an old fart and my memory is short.
I am also an old fart so you are in good company....
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
heading out to fly the SSS with a Radian as a chase plane... winds are calm and my flaps are finally programmed- to the landing gear switch _ i only have an optic 6 sport tx but I have always liked it.. if I can see it -i CAN CONTROL IT....
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't say it's a faulty design, just a detail that requires special attention. When I hooked them up I kinda thought there was too much slack in the holes - I should have mitigated it then but I pressed on and forgot about it.
I picked up some number 2 threaded rodasand new connectors for this plane, should solve any problem with controls
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:11 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Any new SSS, flight vids???
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:29 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
Any new SSS, flight vids???
Some really good ones here:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....uper-Skysurfer
SquireM is offline Find More Posts by SquireM
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:10 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
545 Posts
I was able to repair the SSS. Some boiled water, CA & accelerant and it flies fine. I installed servo arm extensions with tinier holes this time for a more secure connection.
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by seojeff; Sep 09, 2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added a photo