HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:51 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Some on similar types of planes have moved the esc to the outside for better airflow.
Can you discribe how hot it was or do you have ir measurments?
No IR measurments as my Nitro buddy who has one, was not flying this past weekend.. You could touch it with your fingers, my estimation it was around 110 degrees F. Hate to cut holes in the nose but I am sure it would help.. It looks like there is a good amount of open space in the fuse so you should get some airflow..
Vern1960 is offline Find More Posts by Vern1960
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:45 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,738 Posts
It would really help to cut a hole in the lower fuse toward the rear, too; in addition to the front one(s). This would provide a flow through the fuse.
My esc gets a good bit hotter than you described and you can really feel the heat in the compartment when you open it after a flight.
This should have been designed better - most electric foamies provide for some airflow.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:58 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calla969 View Post
Can anyone comment about how this plane behaves as a glider? Will it thermal?
i flew mine a good while with motor off the other day- we had just a gentle breeze blowing and when i headed into the wind it would actually gain altitude- so I am thinking it will thermal well- perhaps not like a radian- but then again it did float very well and has lots of wing area-

my question is- will it penetrate a decent 10-15mph headwind- we have lots of windy days here...
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:26 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
i flew mine a good while with motor off the other day- we had just a gentle breeze blowing and when i headed into the wind it would actually gain altitude- so I am thinking it will thermal well- perhaps not like a radian- but then again it did float very well and has lots of wing area-

my question is- will it penetrate a decent 10-15mph headwind- we have lots of windy days here...
I think it would fly great in a lame 10-15 mph wind not sure about a decent one however
I think trading out the solid spar for a hollow spar would help as you lose 8 oz of dead weight thats like over 10% of total weight.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:30 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
That's a good amount of weight to drop for sure, my concern would be that a hollow tube would not hold up as well. Those wings are big and thick and heavy! Would hollow aluminum be better and give the same structural integrity?
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:25 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
That's a good amount of weight to drop for sure, my concern would be that a hollow tube would not hold up as well. Those wings are big and thick and heavy! Would hollow aluminum be better and give the same structural integrity?
My thinking is the wings have a cf tube in them and you insert another tube inside of those be it solid more weight hollow way less weight the smaller ones IE bixler , Easy star don't have a cf tube in the wings just the main spar.
We are not talking Redbull stresses here but sailplane stresses.

If and really when I purchase one that will be the first mod I do.

Oh and that plane has 2 wing spars not just one.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:41 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
I have both the B2 and the SSS, just haven't thrown them together yet. The second spar on the SSS is pretty small.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:59 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
I have both the B2 and the SSS, just haven't thrown them together yet. The second spar on the SSS is pretty small.
My perspective comes from building rite wings and a couple of EZ1,s and a couple of Radians plus looking at my friends sss and helping him build it.
Like my Dad would say God rest his soul I'll bet you dollars to donuts a hollow tube would be more than enough.

I know it seems small but it is another spar system that fits into spars that are in the wings.

The EZ ,bixler cloud fly you name it has zero spars in the wing halfs the sss has 4.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,344 Posts
After my buddy bought one of these and i seen how well built it was and the width of the wings, i couldn't stand it !! I ordered one tonight,never bought anything from Banana before so hope i have a descent experience. I see there are ZERO extra parts available and after telling buddy about that, he ordered another one just in case I got the ARF as i have TX and RX for it. Think it will fly well enough with a 2200 3s battery or do i need to get a 3s 3600 on the way ?
fastfwd is online now Find More Posts by fastfwd
Last edited by fastfwd; Sep 05, 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:22 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
After my buddy bought one of these and seen how well built it was and the width of the wings, i couldn't stand it !! I ordered one tonight,never bought anything from Banana before so hope i have a descent experience. I see there are ZERO extra parts available and after telling buddy about that he ordered another one just in case I got the ARF as i have TX and RX for it. Think it will fly well enough with a 2200 3s battery or do i need to get a 3600 on the way ?
The issue over the pack capacity has to do with having enough pack weight in the nose to balance the model without having to resort to adding dead weight. this is why the RTF version includes a 3600 which is the lightest pack that will still enable balancing within the flyable CG range. Most here actually are using 4000-5000mah packs, so a single 2200 mah pack would be too light to balance the plane, you can run 2 2200 mah packs in parallel for an effective capacity of 4.4A which would give you enough nose weight and also enhance your flight times.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:00 AM
If it flies.....I can crash it
United Kingdom, England, Preston on Stour
Joined Nov 2011
2,641 Posts
With running such huge packs what sort if flight time are you expecting, an average flight with stop start motor and good glide rates??
blackbrabus is online now Find More Posts by blackbrabus
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calla969 View Post
Can anyone comment about how this plane behaves as a glider? Will it thermal?
Yes, it will thermal and it will slope soar even with a HoryzonHD cam on the nose a keychain cam on the wing and a 5000mah 3S battery in the nose
Yesterday evening I got more than half an hour flight having only used 2 minutes of power (and that was just for loops/fun) in an 8mph wind avg, could have stayed up there forever but got cold hands and needed the toilet
Dogdude is online now Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:07 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,546 Posts
Will the SSS ROG on grass or does it need to be hand launched?
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Last edited by Rickochet; Sep 06, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:08 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,546 Posts
Can someone who has one of these measure the solid spar with a caliper?
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:17 AM
Plain City, OH
Joined May 2004
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
After my buddy bought one of these and i seen how well built it was and the width of the wings, i couldn't stand it !! I ordered one tonight,never bought anything from Banana before so hope i have a descent experience. I see there are ZERO extra parts available and after telling buddy about that, he ordered another one just in case I got the ARF as i have TX and RX for it. Think it will fly well enough with a 2200 3s battery or do i need to get a 3s 3600 on the way ?
I've been tracking the comments on batteries and balance points. Cameras are not dead weight. With a GoPro on the nose I'm hopeful I'll be able to balance it out with a 2200. If that don't work I'll add another GoPro or my FlyCamHD.
Hersh is offline Find More Posts by Hersh