HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:20 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern1960 View Post
I just got my SSS in the air on Monday, and it flys great but as reported the ESC is a little warmer than I would like at the end of a 8 to 10 minuted flight.. Has anyone cut any cooling holes in the nose yet to see if that will help with cooling? I have an electic hot knife and was thinking of cutting two small vent holes on the top side of the nose similar to the ones used on the new Flyzone Calypso. Just wondering if that was worth a try.
Some on similar types of planes have moved the esc to the outside for better airflow.
Can you discribe how hot it was or do you have ir measurments?
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:21 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,889 Posts
righto... back to our illustrious giant bixler...

does anyone know if the tail boom part of the fuselage is solid foam or if there's a cavity?
i'm not sure if it is or not, holding light behind & such, i dont want to start cutting savagery unless i know before hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Some on similar types of planes have moved the esc to the outside for better airflow.
Can you discribe how hot it was or do you have ir measurments?
i'm probably going to mount my esc immediately in front of the motor, on top...
if you are using the built in bec, a failed esc is a doomed plane, i wouldnt take the risk cool that sucker by putting it in external air flow or vent the interior
I am also considering making some vents, there's no interior ventilation- battery, rcRx and any other electronics should have at least some fresh air circulation
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Sep 04, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:22 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
Seems like most of you guys only know how to buy and fly, but know nothing about engine torque and how to eliminate it. If you don't offset the motor to a certain amount of degrees, it'll cause the plane to roll to the opposite direction of motor rotation and you'll be spending more time fighting to keep your plane flying level, than you would enjoying your day out flying.
Well so what ?? I buy and fly because i want to fly, i don't want to go thru college to learn all there is to know about aeronautics. but thanks for the info.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
So what did he tell you? He can offer no help at all?
No, not really. BUT, they FINALLY replied to my email saying

Quote:
it appears the delay is due to a discrepancy with the capture of appropriate payments
Whatever that means??!! Regardless, my card was charged, and it was debit, so its essentially cash, which is a lot tougher to have out there with nothing to show for it than if I would have used a credit card. Supposedly she forwarded it to the "accounting" department to figure it out. I just hope it doesnt go out of stock before they figure it out and not have one to ship to me. Im not sure if its still this way but getting a refund from BH a few years ago was like pulling teeth.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth01 View Post
You know some of us actually have "real " stick time in aircraft sonny, you know like the ones you sit in.
"Sonny" is probably old enough to be your father and holds a pilots certificate (you know, for the kind of plane you sit in) with instrument rating, although I fail to see the relevance of that.

I really doubt that your motor was installed 20 degrees off because the fuselage comes out of a precision mold, and several readers beside myself thought you had made a mistake, but if you are happy with the result all is good.

As has been pointed out personal attacks are a violation of forum rules, so cool it.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Sep 04, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
I used to teach a professionally licensed pilot how to fly his Parkzone Radian, because he could never grasp the concept of how to steer the plane correctly when it was coming towards him...nor could he land it without freaking out when it got close to the ground, (he's give it full throttle and elevator down) straight into the ground, nor could he control it once it was directly over his head(again, full throttle and a " It's not responding to my transmitter"), completely out of control. He finally admitted to me, that it's a hell of a lot more different than sitting in the cockpit of a real plane facing the direction that you're steering in.
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
He finally admitted to me, that it's a hell of a lot more different than sitting in the cockpit of a real plane facing the direction that you're steering in.
+1 on that!. I had a very hard time with orientation and visualization. Sim training helped a lot.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:28 AM
United States, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2005
43 Posts
Banana Hobby SSS

I'm re-posting this on the correct thread of the site

I just received the Banana Hobby SSS, 95" wing span, 6 servos, 40 amp ESC, 1250KV out runner, and all associated parts. $140!!! How can they ever sell such a great quality plane for such a low price? The only problem I had assembling it was the the control rods on the flaps were too long and I had to shorten them and add new "Z" bends at the end. First flight will be later this week, but it's a beautiful looking plane.

More to come, if I don't put it in on the first flight.

UPDATE: 09/05/2012: I also found that one of the wing spar receiver ports was very tight and would not accept the solid carbon spar without tons of force. (The main spar is VERY STRONG). My solution was to take a long dowel and attach some sandpaper on the end, insert it into the wing's spar receiver port, and with a hand drill rotate at high speed while working it in and out. After a number of tries, the spar now slides in much better. Be sure to mark the center of the main spar with some kind of paint. The spar can go into the wing way past the center and will through the wing balance off if it's not centered.

More to come after I fly it.
howieb38 is offline Find More Posts by howieb38
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
"Sonny" is probably old enough to be your father and holds a pilots certificate (you know, for the kind of plane you sit in) with instrument rating, although I fail to see the relevance of that.

I really doubt that your motor was installed 20 degrees off because the fuselage comes out of a precision mold, and several readers beside myself thought you had made a mistake, but if you are happy with the result all is good.

As has been pointed out personal attacks are a violation of forum rules, so cool it.
It was not a personal attack, I was matching your sarcasm. OK ceasefire approved.
Yes I understand the precision molding but the nacell is hollow and I figured--- after I cut it, that the angle was too great for the intended result. No harm, no foul right?
Peace.
stealth01 is offline Find More Posts by stealth01
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:40 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
You know some of us actually have "real " stick time in aircraft sonny, you know like the ones you sit in. Yes I understand the reason the engine was offset to reduce of eliminate "P" factor if you know what that is but this motor was sitting 18 to 20 degrees off the centerline. It was installed incorrectly and I fixed it you gotta problem with that? What you need to do is realize not eveyone on line is a preteen holding one of daddys credit cards. Your assumption was wrong pal and the plane flys great hands off---Thanks for nothing.[/QUOTE]

That you are a "real" pilot has virtually nothing to do with these toy planes. Some of the worst RC pilots out there are "real" pilots. Some need plenty of stick and buddy box time before getting good.

People are trying to help...you need to relax.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:09 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Stay on topic please!

Let's try to keep things civil and focused on the thread topic shall we?... which is discussion of the BlitzRCWorks Super Sky Surfer model.

Carry on!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
516 Posts
Maidened my SSS last night - flies great. I would not consider this a beginners plane, as some have asked about. There's a lot more delay in response to control surface input in a plane this size vs a regular 'trainer' type airplane. Also has a tendency to tip stall at slow speeds which is more alarming in a plane this size. Otherwise, I love it.

Has anyone located a hollow replacement for the main wing spar? That thing weighs a ton.
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:52 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
That center spar does feel heavy but I'm not going to replace. I presume it's that thick for a reason, after all they could have saved money with a hollow one right? I'm wondering if the wings need that kind of bulk, as well as for CG purposes?
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
That center spar does feel heavy but I'm not going to replace. I presume it's that thick for a reason, after all they could have saved money with a hollow one right? I'm wondering if the wings need that kind of bulk, as well as for CG purposes?
I found a place that can sell me a hollow replacement for about $40. I may try it.
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
what is the weigh savings?