HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:29 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
Seems like most of you guys only know how to buy and fly, but know nothing about engine torque and how to eliminate it. If you don't offset the motor to a certain amount of degrees, it'll cause the plane to roll to the opposite direction of motor rotation and you'll be spending more time fighting to keep your plane flying level, than you would enjoying your day out flying.
The original SS has motor offset built in too
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:32 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
But they did. Every time I saw the video it posted Scott's name.
Yes they did he wasn't the photographer though.
He was the production manager.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:08 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude View Post
I'm going to switch back to the 2 blade prop as the 3 blade seems to drain the battery very fast, had 15 minutes on power from a 5000mah battery, not very good with the 3 blade, on a watt meter it draws 33amps at full throttle
The 2 blade thrust was adequate, not exciting but then if you buy this plane for thrills you bought the wrong plane

I may try a 9x6 or even a 9x6 folding prop just to experiment but I'm quite happy with the standard power for floating around

Here's some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0VNQH3ikZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWtek2BXdyI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OHmh5kyGRo
Were those vids shot using the 3 blade?
Nice vids by the way with wind looked like it had some good lift.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth01 View Post
:My flying buddy just got his,great solid plane,but the motor mount was installed so crooked it is pointing way left if looking at plane from back. So he will see what can be done with banana hobby come Tuesday. So sad as it looks to be a great plane ! "

Yea mine too. I was pissed off so I did what I thought was best....fixed it myself.
You "fixed it"? No, you messed it up. It was intentionally installed that way to counteract motor torque. On planes with front-mounted (puller) motors it is common practice to offset thrust to the right. On pushers, because motor thrust is acting behind the center of mass, the offset is to the left. High-mounted pushers also have considerable down-offset. I hope you did not "fix" that too.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:42 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Nice...... subcribed
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:50 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth01 View Post
:My flying buddy just got his,great solid plane,but the motor mount was installed so crooked it is pointing way left if looking at plane from back. So he will see what can be done with banana hobby come Tuesday. So sad as it looks to be a great plane ! "

Yea mine too. I was pissed off so I did what I thought was best....fixed it myself. Don't even try to return to B. hobby unless you got a month or two to waste. Cut the engine nacell horozontally then take the motor/mount off, cut off excess material under mount until straight then reglue with hot glue gun. Works great now. Still has up draft for clear air but not the egregious angle to starboard that is not necessary for this aircraft.
Oh dear

Good job you did'nt return to Banana Hobby as they would probably have been so traumatised at trying to convince you that this is how they are meant to be, you wouldn't have listened and they would have tried to satisfy customer service by replacing the model for you which you would have found to be exactly the same as the original

The clue here is that the motor and prop assembly are meant to be offset.
Just like 99.9% of all other model and fullsize aircraft.

As I said in a previous post, if you don't know there's nothing wrong with that, we can't all know everything
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:44 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,807 Posts
All these Oil cans are defective.
Great movie from along time ago.
As it seems everyone is deffective LOL
My friends SSS flys great even with the crocked motor but thats how they should be.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:30 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
Has anyone purchased a Super Skysurfer in the past 2 weeks and received it, or at least shipping confirmation with tracking info?

I ordered an ARF 2 weeks ago, said in stock as it still does. Not shipped as of yet. No replies from BH, and Sebatian on their support forum here on RCG basically said "Its in Progress".......No Crap..Hmmm, I seem to have read that in my account on BH!!

This will be my last order with BH. I said that the last time too, but this time Im seriously done with BH. I dont mind so much that its taking so long to ship, but rather that they are a bunch of lying goons. If they would just tell the truth, and not play you for an idiot it wouldnt be so bad!!!!
Ordered mine on the 20th of August and received it on the 23rd. I just live over the hill from BH. Its there in Yuma waiting for me to put it together when I get back down there in October.

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:23 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
But they did. Every time I saw the video it posted Scott's name.
Bob shot the video- I was just the guy who edited the movie and put it on youtube and Called the local news and then answered the phone calls and negotiated payments-- Bob is shy....lol
I was shooting stills while he shot video...
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:50 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Bob shot the video- I was just the guy who edited the movie and put it on youtube and Called the local news and then answered the phone calls and negotiated payments-- Bob is shy....lol
I was shooting stills while he shot video...
Now that all these very important issues have been ironed out, has anyone heard anything about who the poor fellow was that died? Has anything been released on how it occurred? Were either of the two other planes involved?

Somehow all this attention being paid to a video that just happened to document the crash seems to be in somewhat poor taste.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:00 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,929 Posts
Here is a news page about the pilot:

http://qctimes.com/news/local/pilot-...9bb2963f4.html
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Now that all these very important issues have been ironed out, has anyone heard anything about who the poor fellow was that died? Has anything been released on how it occurred? Were either of the two other planes involved?

Somehow all this attention being paid to a video that just happened to document the crash seems to be in somewhat poor taste.

Gord
well Gord,
the pilots name is Glenn Smith- he was a dedicated performer and a lead pilot of the Hopper Flight Team -who died doing what he loved- I of course did not ever want to witness such a thing and Bob and I knew he was going down before most of the crowd do to our limited flight experience- it was terrifying and sad- However Bob still kept the camera on subject and managed to capture some of the best footage of the tragic event- and we immediately turned it over to the FAA to aid in their investigation, and to the local news station. the rest was out of our hands- Everyone wanted it..
Glenn's wingmen circled the crash site awhile before landing and both planes appeared to be flying well, I can only imagine the pain and emotions they suffered knowing their friend had just died- but I did try, Bob and I looked their planes over the next morning from a short distance and they did not show any signs of contact and they soon departed for home, minus one- I can tell you unashamedly that when they took off my face was wet...

I am sorry if you think I take this lightly- because i do not- however it is our video and I shared it with the world...

I have made a remix of the video into a tribute for Glenn Smith including the Missing man formation performed by the Lima Lima Flight team when the show resumed..

I pray that I may never witness another crash..
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Now I will be happy to discuss the SSS and will not go off topic anymore- but it was too big of an event not to share it with flight enthusiasts who may care...
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
You "fixed it"? No, you messed it up. It was intentionally installed that way to counteract motor torque. On planes with front-mounted (puller) motors it is common practice to offset thrust to the right. On pushers, because motor thrust is acting behind the center of mass, the offset is to the left. High-mounted pushers also have considerable down-offset. I hope you did not "fix" that too.
I really want to thank you guys for all this info !! I had no idea ! Glad we have all you gents to go to instead of butchering the thing Again THANK YOU, we will put it together and get it in the air
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:18 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Were those vids shot using the 3 blade?
Nice vids by the way with wind looked like it had some good lift.
Yes they were using the 3 blade but I have now switched back to the original 2 blade, there doesn't seem to be much difference in thrust but the 3 blade uses too much battery

In dead calm (virtually no wind) at dusk so not much light with the original 2 blade prop

Bananahobby Super Skysurfer with #16 v2 and Horyzon HD cameras (3 min 20 sec)

Plenty of power for climbs and loops and will maintain altitude at 1/4 throttle even with zero wind, that's great news and demonstrates that the plane really isn't under powered though it might become under powered or rather over weight if people add too much battery weight, in mine I have 1 x 5000mah and that's probably all it'll need, if I decide I want more my first choice will be to swap the 5000 for 2 x 3000 Nanotechs

Just do all you can to float around without using power and in a wind it'll stay in the air for ages
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude