HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:03 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
How much better was the climb out and thrust with your 3 blade prop- and it is still stock motor? tis my only complaint so far is lack of thrust as i want to go high to take advantage of its large size and thus its increased visibility...
Undecided yet, it was very windy so I either had a strong head wind or a strong tail wind making it difficult to judge, it seemed faster but I need to test in calmer weather

Yes, it's the stock motor, just changed the ESC and prop

As for altitude personally I'd rather rely on the wind to gain hieght and even in a 10mph wind this thing will climb all day long without power if you're smart, I wanted a little more thrust so it's there if/when I need it to get out of a stall or for the occasional fast pass, mostly I like to float around to conserve power

I'd say change the ESC or move it into air flow or both, changing the prop is optional, this plane is never going to be a speed demon or go vertical, it's a sailplane and damned good at what it's designed for

Dogdude is online now Find More Posts by Dogdude
Last edited by Dogdude; Sep 01, 2012 at 03:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Wow!

Great first flights man. Am I impressed. This bird is everything we wanted and more. It stays up for days and floats like a butterfly with flaps.
Damn I’m loving this thing. I flew the FOX glider with the Gopro underneath for a while and I got tired of landing on my face...so to speak. This plane is everything we hoped for. A great FPV platform and a soft easy, manageable attitude--easy to hand launch player. I guess I didn't mess up the thing too much straightening up the motor and all. Love it.
stealth01 is offline Find More Posts by stealth01
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:02 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Subbed :-)
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:21 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Subbed :-)

Eckace and I just witnessed a fatal crash at the Air Show- so sad a great pilot died in front of us- our video is being used by FAA and local news

L-39 Quad Cities Air show Fatal Crash Sept 1st, 2012 (2 min 16 sec)
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:57 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Yeah I saw it, I was hoping he bailed out :-(
I feel so bad.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:28 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
It's a terrible tragedy!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:18 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,540 Posts
A Question For Those Who Have Flown The SSS

BH lists this in the SSS description:

•Perfect for beginners flying RC model airplanes for the very first time!

Would you agree with this?
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:47 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post

well- it is a little big and it didn't really show me any bad habits- and flew real similar(but more stable due to it's size) than an easystar or bixler-
that being said, I would say no- because an Easystar or something similar may bounce and survive- where the Super Skysurfer will probably go to pieces on a hard nose in or cartwheel(because of it's weight)- things that happen when you are learning to fly

Be a fine second plane after a person has his first several crackups and is not prone to crashing much anymore
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:24 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,540 Posts
Scott, I just saw the tail end of a news segment on Headline News about the crash and saw your name. I am waiting for it to come back on. I assume you were being interviewed.

It is 9:30EST and it looks like that segment is coming back on after a commercial.

They just showed it again. No interview with Scott but they did show his name for supplying the video.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Last edited by Rickochet; Sep 02, 2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:46 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,304 Posts
My flying buddy just got his,great solid plane,but the motor mount was installed so crooked it is pointing way left if looking at plane from back. So he will see what can be done with banana hobby come Tuesday. So sad as it looks to be a great plane !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
:My flying buddy just got his,great solid plane,but the motor mount was installed so crooked it is pointing way left if looking at plane from back. So he will see what can be done with banana hobby come Tuesday. So sad as it looks to be a great plane ! "

Yea mine too. I was pissed off so I did what I thought was best....fixed it myself. Don't even try to return to B. hobby unless you got a month or two to waste. Cut the engine nacell horozontally then take the motor/mount off, cut off excess material under mount until straight then reglue with hot glue gun. Works great now. Still has up draft for clear air but not the egregious angle to starboard that is not necessary for this aircraft.
stealth01 is offline Find More Posts by stealth01
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:41 PM
Plain City, OH
Joined May 2004
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
I've dealt with BH several times for both planes and batteries/electronics. Only once did I have an issue, and with some persistence it was resolved. It took a PP and the credit card company being involved too, but it was done. I suspect based on their sheer volume of business, stuff is going to happen. The same with any vendor. I would buy from them again.

This plane looks fantastic. Of all of the easy star clones, I feel this one was the best, and that was before the shot of steroids! It seemed to float better than the others, and was far more responsive. I actually bought the last version kit and painted it up, but didn't complete the build. I might go with this one instead.

Shipping is a killer to CT...$38.00. I just find that abhorently high. It can be done in the 20-25 dollar range via ground, c'mon.

I saw this and then saw they were running a 3% discount on their new beta website. Of course this is not offered there, just a very limited amount of product. I asked the BH rep if she could put the 3% on this purchase, they refused. Oh well. As much as I want it, i don't think I can pull the trigger on this for almost $180.00. That, and I just bought two of the new Bixler 2's.

Maybe if I flip one of those I can swing this.

Can't wait to see a write up on this.
Only $21 and some change to Ohio. Maybe it is some sort of CT tax thing.
Hersh is offline Find More Posts by Hersh
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth01 View Post
:My flying buddy just got his,great solid plane,but the motor mount was installed so crooked it is pointing way left if looking at plane from back. So he will see what can be done with banana hobby come Tuesday. So sad as it looks to be a great plane ! "

Yea mine too. I was pissed off so I did what I thought was best....fixed it myself. Don't even try to return to B. hobby unless you got a month or two to waste. Cut the engine nacell horozontally then take the motor/mount off, cut off excess material under mount until straight then reglue with hot glue gun. Works great now. Still has up draft for clear air but not the egregious angle to starboard that is not necessary for this aircraft.
Yes i told i could fix it Just as you explained is what i was thinking,good to have confirmation. He wants to talk to them first,but im sure we will end up fixing it.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post

No

It is indeed just as easy to fly as it's smaller sibling, however, it's size is likely to be daunting to a learner and they'll more likely get into trouble with it

I'd recommend it's smaller brother (1400mm Skysurfer/Bixler) as long as it's cobined with an experienced pilot to help
Dogdude is online now Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:55 PM
Plain City, OH
Joined May 2004
49 Posts
[QUOTE=soundcheque;22600717]Very good video.

Definately want one of these in the UK,
The delivery charge to UK is $86 then of course the import tax which could be anything they decide at the time.

I'm visiting relatives in Nebraska in November then journeying down to Florida then back home before Christmas.

Does anyone think I'll get through customs UK side without paying massive import duty ?

I've never bought anything this big and tried to get it through [/QUOTE

Do you know any American servicemen? If so have them check to see if they or any of their mates are going Stateside for leave and returning. They can bring it in duty free.
Hersh is offline Find More Posts by Hersh