HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:11 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Nice flight report! Can't wait to maiden mine now with full trailing edge camber and crow landing setup.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:48 AM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
ok video of maiden in edit room- will post tonight

totally stock- was getting late and growing dark so i dismissed the flap programming and taped them in place

rolled off the ground in 45-50 feet- loved it

this thing looks like a slow flyer- but when you consider the size- it is actually moving quite fast- but it does niot climb like a radian or Easystar.. will prop up and try again tonight- wonder if it can handle a stiff breeze(can it push itself upwind?) was calm last night

i did not have to add any weight anywhere to balance - i used a 4000mh 3s batt andd pushed it as far forward as i could- actyaully had to remove a little foam to get it to fit..i PUT A GORO on the wing near the root- and an HK cam way out on the nose- and it balanced at 4 and 1/4 inches- 110mm is 4.33 inches- so i am close

it floated with little loss of altitude with power off- this thing wants to float- doesn't like being on the ground at all-

Ailerons worked great and turning was easy -even when barely moving- didn't notice any stall tendencies.. does lose some altitude in a tighter turn-as expected

landing were a breeze- but this in not your sport plane- this is a camera platform and glider

all in all i like it...
A couple of more observations as Scott made me go with him really I was the transport. If yo have the sss assembled and have a shortbed truck you will need to leave the tailgate down LOL .
Second about the wing saddle both Scott and myself each took a wing and removed it from the saddle and it took alot of force for us to get it apart.
Scott said it took him 20 min to get the wings on.
As for as a slow mover yes it looks slow in the air but so does a 747 compared to a cessna,and after looking at the video it did cover the ground faster than we thought.

Tonite Scott is going to try a 9x6 prop and I might bring my radian and see how that goes.
Plus I need to bring my wattmeter along to get some numbers.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:51 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
ok video of maiden in edit room- will post tonight

totally stock- was getting late and growing dark so i dismissed the flap programming and taped them in place

rolled off the ground in 45-50 feet- loved it

this thing looks like a slow flyer- but when you consider the size- it is actually moving quite fast- but it does niot climb like a radian or Easystar.. will prop up and try again tonight- wonder if it can handle a stiff breeze(can it push itself upwind?) was calm last night

i did not have to add any weight anywhere to balance - i used a 4000mh 3s batt andd pushed it as far forward as i could- actyaully had to remove a little foam to get it to fit..i PUT A GORO on the wing near the root- and an HK cam way out on the nose- and it balanced at 4 and 1/4 inches- 110mm is 4.33 inches- so i am close

it floated with little loss of altitude with power off- this thing wants to float- doesn't like being on the ground at all-

Ailerons worked great and turning was easy -even when barely moving- didn't notice any stall tendencies.. does lose some altitude in a tighter turn-as expected

landing were a breeze- but this in not your sport plane- this is a camera platform and glider

all in all i like it...
It is sounding better all the time! Pretty much what I had hoped it would be. I already have three planes to build now. Guess I will just have to add one more to the count!

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:32 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
1,012 Posts
I switched te stock prop to an APC 9x4.7 and like it much better. Doesnt make the plane faster but climbs with more authority and gives an overall better response to motor input. Current draw is the same as the stock prop and vibrations are gone.
compuatic is offline Find More Posts by compuatic
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:10 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic View Post
I switched te stock prop to an APC 9x4.7 and like it much better. Doesnt make the plane faster but climbs with more authority and gives an overall better response to motor input. Current draw is the same as the stock prop and vibrations are gone.
Per the APC website: maximum prop rpm for the slowflyer is 65,000 divided by the prop diameter. In this case: maximum safe rpm = 7222.

http://www.apcprop.com/v/html/rpm_limits.html

This high kv motor is designed to spin fast. I measured 12360 rpm with the stock prop. The APC might reduce it a little but it will still be way over 7222.

Wear eye protection if you're going to exceed the design limits like this. That's dangerous.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Aug 30, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
damn and i thought I was getting good at this thing...

Well got mine on the 28th and I thought I'd list a coupla things I learned the hard way. First make sure you get the carbon wing rod in equally or you'll end up putting a couple of ounces of lead on one wingtip for lateral equalization...measure the dang thing first then put it in one wing then the other, glue it you aint gonna be taking it out know how.

Then...I thought those pesky varmints at the factory put the engine in caddy wampass and after an hour or two I fixed it...just to find out it was supposed to be that way...heck if you got enough thrust a barndoor will fly right? I just kept lookin at my "old" surfer and it just made sense to me that the engine should point directly back for the most effecient use of thrust, whattaya think?
The hurricane has kept me out of the air [panhandle of Florida] for the next few days so I hope I didn't screw up my new plane.

CG does seem to be about 105-110 back from the leading edge with a 3S 5000mah battery and a GoPro mounted where the pilot's head used to be. From what I've heard here it should be an awesome FPV platform...thanks for all the info even if I was alittle late reading it i'll send you some vid in a few days.
stealth01 is offline Find More Posts by stealth01
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:50 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,218 Posts
here is maiden flight video- shot at sunset but viewable with 3 cameras- 2 on the plane...

opc orn:

Huge Super Sky Surfer maiden flight (5 min 42 sec)
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
917 Posts
Banana Hobby has outdone themselves with that one! Nice plane Scott and thanks for uploading the video for us to enjoy!
Maximilionalpha is online now Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
Banana Hobby has outdone themselves with that one! Nice plane Scott and thanks for uploading the video for us to enjoy!
it will be a fav in my hanger I believe- and the price is nice- will start tweaking power system for more thrust/climb
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:18 AM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Very good video.

Definately want one of these in the UK,
The delivery charge to UK is $86 then of course the import tax which could be anything they decide at the time.

I'm visiting relatives in Nebraska in November then journeying down to Florida then back home before Christmas.

Does anyone think I'll get through customs UK side without paying massive import duty ?

I've never bought anything this big and tried to get it through
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheque View Post
Very good video.

Definately want one of these in the UK,
The delivery charge to UK is $86 then of course the import tax which could be anything they decide at the time.

I'm visiting relatives in Nebraska in November then journeying down to Florida then back home before Christmas.

Does anyone think I'll get through customs UK side without paying massive import duty ?

I've never bought anything this big and tried to get it through
What a dilemma- and I am sorry I have no idea- just wanted to chime in -that I feel your pain- My Stepmother is from England and she complained how much it cost her when she was over there- just to buy her sister a new TV...
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,218 Posts
heading for a great air show tomorrow-we have VIP tickets on the flight line... since there is no "Thunderbirds" thread- subscribe to my my youtube channel for those videos and much more flight stuff- ...we always try to entertain...

http://www.youtube.com/user/sdearinger?feature=mhee
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,543 Posts
Latest video, with #16 Keychain V2 (wide angle with 120 deg D lens) camera
Unfortunately my HoryzonHD cam cut power so no file from that

As well as the cameras I made the following mods since the last flight...

60a Hobbywing ESC, 8x6 3 bladed prop, wheel removed (I have no flat areas to land on)

Bananahobby 2.4m Super Skysurfer #16 keychain cam V2 (3 min 41 sec)

Next job is to fit the RVOSD properly as well as the VTX
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:57 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
917 Posts
That thing really does move out!
Maximilionalpha is online now Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude View Post
Latest video, with #16 Keychain V2 (wide angle with 120 deg D lens) camera
Unfortunately my HoryzonHD cam cut power so no file from that

As well as the cameras I made the following mods since the last flight...

60a Hobbywing ESC, 8x6 3 bladed prop, wheel removed (I have no flat areas to land on)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Pqfrrlpb0

Next job is to fit the RVOSD properly as well as the VTX
How much better was the climb out and thrust with your 3 blade prop- and it is still stock motor? tis my only complaint so far is lack of thrust as i want to go high to take advantage of its large size and thus its increased visibility...