HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I wouldn't call that particularly easy but it's effective.I used a less involved solution. Proper design would have been better.
It would be nice to know if you have an easier solution than cutting 4 pieces of dowel, perhaps you could share it with us ?

Agreed yes there are two main issues, the wing tubes as above and wing fixing, both really should have been designed in properly but they're not unfortunately
Other than that I think it's a great plane, it flies great, I've yet to experiment with CG as I really do believe it would make the plane more agile and consume less power to keep it aloft
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:29 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,669 Posts
The dowel solution is easy enough - if you happen to have the correct sizes handy. I didn't. And didn't want to make a trip to get them.

Plane flys better with more rearward CG, for sure.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,354 Posts
Quote:

Plane flys better with more rearward CG, for sure.
Thanks, where did you set your CG ?

Also what method did you use as an end stop for the spars instead of dowel ?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,669 Posts
I don't intend to be removing the wings frequently so I centered both spars in one wing and tacked them in place with one drop of medium ca at the spar/tube junction. Then put a small dot of paint on each spar at the junction to confirm it's location didn't change when the wings were pushed together. Your are left with one wing panel with the spars protruding when it's disassembled, no issue for me but it could be for others. The ca tacked spars could be easily broken loose if necessary.

I really dont think it will be a good idea to continually remove and install the wings as the fricition fit is going to diminish with each cycle. I've got a strip of 1 1/2 inch wide clear packing tape about 6 inches long at each lower wing/fuse junction yet there is still some minor wing displacement noticed after each flight.

As I stated earlier, I dont think friction fit is a satisfactory solution for securing wings - especially in a model this large.

I experimented with CG as far as 120mm back but settled on about 115. This is really personal preference, however, and you may prefer something entirely different.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Jun 2010
628 Posts
Loose Wings?

A simple fix for loose wings is to immerse the wing root ends in hot water for a few minutes. It expands the foam and you are good to go, They fit just like new.

You will need a big pot and a thermometer. Bring the water to a boil and let it cool to just a tad below 185F. This is a safe temperature - any higher will cause bubbling.

Pleas note: although I've done this several times with different airplanes and have had great results, all my planes are Multiplex Elapor or EPO. I don't know how this will work with other foams.

Cliff
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:27 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
any one have any idea how to carry sss up hikeing

i got my bixler up to the top squamish chief BC canada

Stawamus chief Squamish BC HK Bixler Gopro hero2 (4 min 4 sec)
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6DrOktAeZo
Cool vid, I realise you're carrying request is a sneaky side swipe at the SSS

However, had you considered the fact that with an SSS you don't need to walk up mountains ?
Surely that the whole point in aerial videography isn't it, that is you don't need to go up yourself to get the views/footage

Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,354 Posts
Quote:
I don't intend to be removing the wings frequently so I centered both spars in one wing and tacked them in place with one drop of medium ca at the spar/tube junction. Then put a small dot of paint on each spar at the junction to confirm it's location didn't change when the wings were pushed together. Your are left with one wing panel with the spars protruding when it's disassembled, no issue for me but it could be for others. The ca tacked spars could be easily broken loose if necessary.

I really dont think it will be a good idea to continually remove and install the wings as the fricition fit is going to diminish with each cycle. I've got a strip of 1 1/2 inch wide clear packing tape about 6 inches long at each lower wing/fuse junction yet there is still some minor wing displacement noticed after each flight.

As I stated earlier, I dont think friction fit is a satisfactory solution for securing wings - especially in a model this large.

I experimented with CG as far as 120mm back but settled on about 115. This is really personal preference, however, and you may prefer something entirely different.
Thanks DBC
Yes, I don't think friction alone is a good idea either, I was quite annoyed to find that the plane didn't come with some kind of wing fixing method
I have a good size vehicle so my wings are taped on top and bottom with no signs of any movement after flight

Thanks for the CG measurement, I was going to initially try 110mm and now that sounds like it might be just right, at least I know it won't be uncontrollable at that now
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:40 AM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude View Post
Thanks DBC
Yes, I don't think friction alone is a good idea either, I was quite annoyed to find that the plane didn't come with some kind of wing fixing method
I have a good size vehicle so my wings are taped on top and bottom with no signs of any movement after flight

Thanks for the CG measurement, I was going to initially try 110mm and now that sounds like it might be just right, at least I know it won't be uncontrollable at that now
GUYS if you go to the Easy Star thread there are dozens of mods for holding the wings together my fav. is using velcro on the ends that butt up to each other. Others have used strong magnets
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:59 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:

Thank you! I have driven by the impressive hunk of rock many times but never got around to hiking it. And judging by the vertical nature of both the front and the back I don't think I really want to anyway. I have camped on top of a peak about that same size (West Church Mountain just north of Mt. Baker) and didn't feel bothered by it at all. But it wasn't clean rock right to the edge of a vertical drop! Makes for great video!

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:08 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
GUYS if you go to the Easy Star thread there are dozens of mods for holding the wings together my fav. is using velcro on the ends that butt up to each other. Others have used strong magnets
Or the Sky Surfer aka Bixler thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231310

Sure is a lot of info on this basic configuration. I am a bit surprised that they did no go with something like the methods used on the more current Bixler versions where the wings are held in by screws. But I won't complain, the velcro under the root of the wing will work. Or the 'Command' hooks with rubber bands.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:02 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Or the Sky Surfer aka Bixler thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231310

Sure is a lot of info on this basic configuration. I am a bit surprised that they did no go with something like the methods used on the more current Bixler versions where the wings are held in by screws. But I won't complain, the velcro under the root of the wing will work. Or the 'Command' hooks with rubber bands.

Gord
Thanks Gord as I dodged a bullet from Doubletap by not mentioning all the other threads
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:56 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude View Post
Cool vid, I realise you're carrying request is a sneaky side swipe at the SSS

However, had you considered the fact that with an SSS you don't need to walk up mountains ?
Surely that the whole point in aerial videography isn't it, that is you don't need to go up yourself to get the views/footage

Name: lions.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 23.1 KB
Description:
next trips is going up to Golden ears Porvivcial park trail is 8 hr up & 7 hr down
need to find a way to pack the plane, my new sss just too big to carry :-(
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Last edited by Westwood; Aug 27, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:07 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,784 Posts
Quote:
Attachment 5114166
next trips is going up to Golden ears Porvivcial park trail is 8 hr up & 7 hr down
need to find a way to pack the plane, my new sss just too big to carry :-(
I assume your going in a group I hope so for safety.
If thats the case could you split up the load and find someway to attach it to your daypacks.
If not mybe a lightweight container as I know weight is important with that long of hike.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:21 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
I assume your going in a group I hope so for safety.
If thats the case could you split up the load and find someway to attach it to your daypacks.
If not mybe a lightweight container as I know weight is important with that long of hike.
That could work, turn one of them into a pack animal or Maybe fly it to the top.

Don't know much about mountains, I live in South Florida, the only mountains we have or called 'Land fills'.

The only thing flying here right now is the lawn furnature.

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor