Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:30 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
I would also like to know what prop is safe to use with the stock motor and 4s battery. I have the align 70a esc (switching) and a 5a external sbec, stays nice and cool.

What happend to the sky surfer to make it self destruct?
No word yet. Talking with FlOhio I think it is a bent elevator push rod... They really need to address that...

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:12 AM
United States, AZ, Sierra Vista
Joined Dec 2007
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crazyflyer View Post
Now you people that get the SSS are now warned. Before you fly this plane check the fourms and do the fixes the rod for the elevator is too weak it will bend and U will crash. You need to replace the cheap rod before you try to fly this thing. check the blogs for the SSS to see what else has to be done to make this flyable.
hum... mine came with a strong fiber glass tube around the pushrods comming out the back of the SSS. i left them on and used some goop to tack that fiber glass tube to the top of the horz stab. no flex/play in rudder.
for the elevator i basically did the same thing but used a small piece of balsa to bridge the gap between the fiberglass tube and side of fuse.... no play flex in elevator.

R/
ltdorn1 is offline Find More Posts by ltdorn1
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:50 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdorn1 View Post
hum... mine came with a strong fiber glass tube around the pushrods comming out the back of the SSS. i left them on and used some goop to tack that fiber glass tube to the top of the horz stab. no flex/play in rudder.
for the elevator i basically did the same thing but used a small piece of balsa to bridge the gap between the fiberglass tube and side of fuse.... no play flex in elevator.

R/
The flex is not at the tail end... Its inside on the servo end... Trust me... its not "IF" but "WHEN" it will fail... at a minimum, change the control horn to the top of the elevator so it is a "PULL UP" setup rather than the current "Push UP" setup.

We just dont want to see more planes fail because of simple failures

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:57 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crazyflyer View Post
Why don't you put it on a 3 foot string and pull it behind the plane.
Have you seen the prices of string these days???
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:23 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
The flex is not at the tail end... Its inside on the servo end... Trust me... its not "IF" but "WHEN" it will fail... at a minimum, change the control horn to the top of the elevator so it is a "PULL UP" setup rather than the current "Push UP" setup.

Chris
+1. Good advice.
AJ
P.S. I hope he knows to toss the stock push rod.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:26 PM
Joined Apr 2007
544 Posts
servo end

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post

Chris
Thats why I changed the push rods...cant happen...the stock ones are just crap and a crash waiting to happen..
RocketJoe is offline Find More Posts by RocketJoe
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
P.S. I hope he knows to toss the stock push rod.
I use the stock pushrod as wire for hanging stuff to paint
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Follow up on 2nd CC ESC:
I was using a 1600mah 3S1P LiPo with a Grayson MegaJet V2 motor and 6x4 APC prop. Static tests show 25.43a, 27.74a, 30.24a, and 30.14a on a variety of 6x4 props. Well, the school that I went to suggests that a 36A ESC should handle those readings. Maybe it is just bad luck.
The last one that burned up was by accident. Even then, though, the temp safety should have saved me (that plane was a total loss - consumed by the fire the ESC caused). This time, it was totally the fault of the ESC.
The scorch marks on the foam tell the story.

They gave you a free replacement for the one burned because it was over-proped. Maybe they will do the same for one burned because of blocked airflow.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:34 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
The scorch marks on the foam tell the story.

They gave you a free replacement for the one burned because it was over-proped. Maybe they will do the same for one burned because of blocked airflow.
There was plenty of air flow. The foam is just scrunched up to hold the battery in place. There is a large hole on the bottom to take care of air flow.
I talked with CC yesterday and they agree that it should not have happened as I was totally in spec with everything. They are sending me 2 (right two! 36a) because of the problems that I had. They requested that I send them both ESC's for analysis - which I did today (they even sent me a prepaid label) . They promised to email or call me with their findings.. I can't say enough good things about their customer service even though I have had 2 terrible experiences with their product. I will let everyone know what they reply. It should be interesting.
After all, this round, I did nothing wrong whatsoever. The config was tested with a watt meter before the flight (36.3Ap). Oddly, I used a 40A with an SBEC today and I flew it for over 2 minutes at WOT with NO air flow (I blocked everything off-This was done several time via bench testing BEFORE risking a flight). I measured the temp of the ESC and SBEC upon landing. ESC temp - 81 Degrees SBEC temp - 74 degrees. And all of the above matters not a whit because the temp controls should ALWAYS kick out the motor no matter what ANYONE does - be it right, wrong, accidental, on purpose, etc.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:43 AM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
^
Quote:
I will let everyone know what they reply. It should be interesting.
Perhaps in another thread, please.

Your personal experience with CC esc's although being installed in a SSS don't really pertain directly to the SSS.

In fact, from my perspective it really detracts from the thread, not add value to it.

I kindly suggest that you start another thread regarding the CC ESC issues and then perhaps post a link here so that anyone may follow along if they choose. Instead of having to sift through unrelated material here while looking for posts about " BlitzRCWorks Super Sky Surfer: 95" span, w/Flaps"

Thanks,

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:11 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,895 Posts
Anybody else have issues with the plane pitching down after hand launching?? After she leaves my hand under a good bit of power she wants to drop the nose hard ..... makes for a fun launch LOL

Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:59 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp125racer View Post
Anybody else have issues with the plane pitching down after hand launching?? After she leaves my hand under a good bit of power she wants to drop the nose hard ..... makes for a fun launch LOL

Don
I know the thing is very COG touchy, mine is 4 1/4 inches back. thats running a 3s 5000
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:16 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp125racer View Post

Don
When I first started flying mine, it was slightly tailheavy. There was no tendency to nose down on launch, it pretty much flew right out of my hand, which was very nice. But later as the plane flew, it tended to bob its nose up and down, stall a lot, etc.

I added a little weight to the nose, to bring the CG forward, to about 93mm behind the wing leading edge. Then it flew fine, with no nose-bobbing or stalling. But with every launch, it would dip sharply toward the ground, and required a quick up-elevator to yank it up before it met the grass.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:26 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
mine can't even be hand launched, not enough power! boo
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:33 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,681 Posts
Not enough power for hand launch? in your arm or the motor?

I hand launch mine with the stock motor on 4s no problem It does dip though...
RCG Plus Member