Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:31 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
I had asked if the SSS can run a 4S and I found out it can.... but
1. I forgot to mention that I'm wanting to run a 4500mah 4S..... this isn't too big for the plane is it?
2. Cause I still have to fit a 2200mah 3S for video gear inside. And on top of that, I have my OSD stuff that needs to go in. I know the plane has a huge wing span...
3. but can it handle the payload mentioned above?
1. No. BUT, get an external 5A SBEC to avoid any fire potential. And.... Make certain that you have an ESC that is appropriate for your power system.
2.You will have to try it. The "C" rating of LiPo's can cause a vast difference in the size of them.
3. Yes. Most likely. If the AUW < 10lbs or so. Again, trial and error is in play.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:36 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Get the old motor out by whatever method works the best for you. Usually, you can "tease" the halves apart using a common table knife (not sharp). Then, simply glue a round 1/8" piece of plywood over the now vacant hole and mount a motor to it. OR, If that doesn't work, cut through the top of the fuselage (like slicing open a hot dog) with an xacto #11 or #12 blade (I prefer a #12) and get the old motor out. Then, use packing tape to hold the fuse halves together at the motor mount area. The latter is what I use on my SSS.
AJ
Quote:
1. No. BUT, get an external 5A SBEC to avoid any fire potential. And.... Make certain that you have an ESC that is appropriate for your power system.
2.You will have to try it. The "C" rating of LiPo's can cause a vast difference in the size of them.
3. Yes. Most likely. If the AUW < 10lbs or so. Again, trial and error is in play.
AJ
Thanks so much!
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:42 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Would this UBEC suffice if I'm running 6 servos for control + 2 for pan/tilt (total 8 servos)?
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:02 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
That would work fine, but at that price I would get a Castle 10A UBEC. That's what I'm installing in my plane.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:03 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,674 Posts
Ok I bought the carbon fiber wing spar to replace the heavier main spar. Now I want to put my 4s 5000mah in but I'm not sure what I need to run the servos and receiver and video equipment. I want to run all the video equipment and servos off the same 14s battery what can I use?
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:18 AM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
castle 10A ubec with skyhunter fpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
That would work fine, but at that price I would get a Castle 10A UBEC. That's what I'm installing in my plane.
Castle no doubt makes good equipment, but I'm assuming your SkyHunter will be a platform with a video downlink, whether FPV or UAV?

I have the Castel 10A UBEC as well (not installed yet), but I have been reading that they can be noisy. So I will be wiring up several UBECs with jst plugs that I can swap out and test to determine if some are noisier than others. I have several that have been suggested in various threads.

Just throwing it out there.

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:24 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Would this UBEC suffice if I'm running 6 servos for control + 2 for pan/tilt (total 8 servos)?
Short answer - Yes.
AJ
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:26 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoGolf View Post
Castle no doubt makes good equipment, but I'm assuming your SkyHunter will be a platform with a video downlink, whether FPV or UAV?

I have the Castel 10A UBEC as well (not installed yet), but I have been reading that they can be noisy. So I will be wiring up several UBECs with jst plugs that I can swap out and test to determine if some are noisier than others. I have several that have been suggested in various threads.

BG
+1. I had that experience with it, too. Once replaced (in my son's plane) the problems disappeared.
AJ
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:21 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
Quote:
+1. I had that experience with it, too. Once replaced (in my son's plane) the problems disappeared.
AJ
Sorry, thought I was posting in the SkyHunter thread.

Holds true regardless. Just insert SSS where I have written ShyHunter.

ooops.

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:24 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
No need to cut open the fuselage. I've swapped motors more than once in my ARF that came with the fuse halves already glued together. Look in around the motor, and you can see the four screws that hold it in place. Use a small Phillips screwdriver to unscrew them, and out it comes. To put in the new one, bolt the cross-shaped mount to the new motor, then lean the fuselage against a table, nose straight down, and put four screws in the outer holes of the cross-shaped mount. Lower it carefully into the motor pod with the screws pointing striaght down, watching to make sure they line up, screw each one in just a little to make sure all four are started correctly, then screw them all the way in. Takes a little touch and patience, but modelers have lots of that.

Some folks have even hollowed out the motor pod, reinforced the original motor mount, and installed bigger motors that took a LOT of work, all without splitting the fuselage halves. Where there's a will..... :-O
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Quote:

BG
Quote:
Short answer - Yes.
AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
No need to cut open the fuselage. I've swapped motors more than once in my ARF that came with the fuse halves already glued together. Look in around the motor, and you can see the four screws that hold it in place. Use a small Phillips screwdriver to unscrew them, and out it comes. To put in the new one, bolt the cross-shaped mount to the new motor, then lean the fuselage against a table, nose straight down, and put four screws in the outer holes of the cross-shaped mount. Lower it carefully into the motor pod with the screws pointing striaght down, watching to make sure they line up, screw each one in just a little to make sure all four are started correctly, then screw them all the way in. Takes a little touch and patience, but modelers have lots of that.

Some folks have even hollowed out the motor pod, reinforced the original motor mount, and installed bigger motors that took a LOT of work, all without splitting the fuselage halves. Where there's a will..... :-O
Awesome information here guys. Thanks for the help
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:53 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
5 cents

Quote:
Sorry, thought I was posting in the SkyHunter thread.

Holds true regardless. Just insert SSS where I have written ShyHunter.

ooops.

BG
If I had a nickle for every time I have done that......
AJ
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:24 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Bad Luck??

Follow up on 2nd CC ESC:
I was using a 1600mah 3S1P LiPo with a Grayson MegaJet V2 motor and 6x4 APC prop. Static tests show 25.43a, 27.74a, 30.24a, and 30.14a on a variety of 6x4 props. Well, the school that I went to suggests that a 36A ESC should handle those readings. Maybe it is just bad luck.
The last one that burned up was by accident. Even then, though, the temp safety should have saved me (that plane was a total loss - consumed by the fire the ESC caused). This time, it was totally the fault of the ESC. Oh, FWIW, this time I had a 5A external BEC that surely saved my tail as I was able to land it and stop the fire (at 1:52) while it was little. Check the video.
AJ

Bixler 2 LG + Smoke (0 min 0 sec)
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:05 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Is there any place besides banana hobby that sells the SSS?

And which servos do you guys recommend using?
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:26 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Is there any place besides banana hobby that sells the SSS?

And which servos do you guys recommend using?
haven't seen any other place selling it. I still use stock servos myself but i'm going to be upgrading my flap servos shortly.

turns out i did a long distance flight today with only one aileron, the clevice on one got sheared off during takeoff.... i didn't even notice because the eagle tree guardian did such a good job
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member