HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:24 AM
Canada, AB, Mundare
Joined Mar 2011
577 Posts
I'm considering buying one to put an apm 2.5 in. How much are you considering selling yours for?
Beerwiser is offline Find More Posts by Beerwiser
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:34 AM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seearestacey View Post
How much do you think you would sell it for?
I'm on the road right now, but when I have a chance, ill figure out what I have into it, and then figure out what I feel would be reasonable. I don't have to sell it so lowballers need not apply!

BG
BravoGolf is online now Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:47 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoGolf View Post
I'm on the road right now, but when I have a chance, ill figure out what I have into it, and then figure out what I feel would be reasonable. I don't have to sell it so lowballers need not apply!

BG
Ill trade you a pile of SSS foam pieces for it!
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:56 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
770 Posts
^leave the reflex tape attached to the foam and I may consider it.

BG
BravoGolf is online now Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:35 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoGolf View Post
^leave the reflex tape attached to the foam and I may consider it.

BG
Pm me... i may have some spare reflex tape around...

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:08 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
For those that are using a 4S setup.... what motor are you using and how did you mod the motor mount??
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Last edited by williamjames; Feb 08, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:22 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
Guys, has anyone tried doing mods on this for a 4S setup?? If yes, would love to see pics!
On an otherwise-stock Super Sky Surfer, you mean? Quite a few have.

Easiest way, obviously, is simply to put in a 4s battery in place of the 3s it comes with. This seems to give noticeably better perfromance, better climb etc. But it's not clear if the stock ESC can handle this well. The manual that comes with the plane says the ESC and its BEC can only handle 3 or 4 servos... but the plane comes with six! And with a 4s battery instead of the stock 3s, the ESC is working even harder to produe its 5V for the servos, and can overheat quickly.

Several fliers have reported strange interruptions in radio contact, possibly due to the ESC and its BEC cutting out due to overtemperature. It's hard to prove that is the cause without instrumenting the plane a lot, but it seems reasonable.

If you want to use a 4s battery with the SSS, it's a very good idea to replace the ESC with a unit having a switching BEC, or at least use a separate switching BEC with the original ESC.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
On an otherwise-stock Super Sky Surfer, you mean? Quite a few have.

Easiest way, obviously, is simply to put in a 4s battery in place of the 3s it comes with. This seems to give noticeably better perfromance, better climb etc. But it's not clear if the stock ESC can handle this well. The manual that comes with the plane says the ESC and its BEC can only handle 3 or 4 servos... but the plane comes with six! And with a 4s battery instead of the stock 3s, the ESC is working even harder to produe its 5V for the servos, and can overheat quickly.

Several fliers have reported strange interruptions in radio contact, possibly due to the ESC and its BEC cutting out due to overtemperature. It's hard to prove that is the cause without instrumenting the plane a lot, but it seems reasonable.

If you want to use a 4s battery with the SSS, it's a very good idea to replace the ESC with a unit having a switching BEC, or at least use a separate switching BEC with the original ESC.
Hi LittleAcorn,
Thanks for that info. I would be using a UBEC since I'm running a total of 6 servos. I'd also change the ESC to something more reliable... in fact, all electronics would be upgraded. But, what I wanted to know is if the stock motor could handle a 4S. If not, I'm even considering upgrading the motor... but don't know how this could be done because I'm assuming there would be heavy modifications that would need to be done to the motor mount correct?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:21 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Hi LittleAcorn,
Thanks for that info. I would be using a UBEC since I'm running a total of 6 servos. I'd also change the ESC to something more reliable... in fact, all electronics would be upgraded. But, what I wanted to know is if the stock motor could handle a 4S. If not, I'm even considering upgrading the motor... but don't know how this could be done because I'm assuming there would be heavy modifications that would need to be done to the motor mount correct?
stock motor will handle 4s, and if you want even more power there is a motor (i put it in) that fits right in no mods needed, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18226
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:13 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,348 Posts
I have a brand new SSS but I'm not sure I want to build it or just sell it and build a radian pro. What do you guys think. How high have some of you been with the stock SSS motor with a 4s setup? Also I'd've using a 5000 mah pack what do you think avg flight times are? And does anyone use a skylark dianmu OSD?
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:41 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Hi LittleAcorn,
There are some pretty powerful motors that apparently bolt right in, they even use the same motor mount, no modifications needed.

There are also some other, even more powerful motors, that are physically larger and DO need modified mounts, I have one of those in my plane. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22886490 for a sort of collection of SSS info. In particular, look at "Entry No. 7". The posts on either side of that post, too, have lots of useful info on the SSS.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:05 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
There are some pretty powerful motors that apparently bolt right in, they even use the same motor mount, no modifications needed.

There are also some other, even more powerful motors, that are physically larger and DO need modified mounts, I have one of those in my plane. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22886490 for a sort of collection of SSS info. In particular, look at "Entry No. 7". The posts on either side of that post, too, have lots of useful info on the SSS.
Wow, there's a great deal of information there. Thanks for the link
So you mentioned that some motors can be bolted on without any mods. Can this be done after the two fuselage halves are glued together? I'm almost thinking of trying out the stock motor on 4S first and then if I'm not happy with it or wanna upgrade, I can change the motor. But in order to do that I need to be able to replace/change the motor after the halves are glued.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:16 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
I have a brand new SSS but I'm not sure I want to build it or just sell it and build a radian pro. What do you guys think. How high have some of you been with the stock SSS motor with a 4s setup? Also I'd've using a 5000 mah pack what do you think avg flight times are? And does anyone use a skylark dianmu OSD?
Build the SSS. You will love it.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:24 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
I had asked if the SSS can run a 4S and I found out it can.... but I forgot to mention that I'm wanting to run a 4500mah 4S..... this isn't too big for the plane is it? Cause I still have to fit a 2200mah 3S for video gear inside. And on top of that, I have my OSD stuff that needs to go in. I know the plane has a huge wing span... but can it handle the payload mentioned above?
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:24 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Wow, there's a great deal of information there. Thanks for the link
So you mentioned that some motors can be bolted on without any mods. Can this be done after the two fuselage halves are glued together? I'm almost thinking of trying out the stock motor on 4S first and then if I'm not happy with it or wanna upgrade, I can change the motor. But in order to do that I need to be able to replace/change the motor after the halves are glued.
Get the old motor out by whatever method works the best for you. Usually, you can "tease" the halves apart using a common table knife (not sharp). Then, simply glue a round 1/8" piece of plywood over the now vacant hole and mount a motor to it. OR, If that doesn't work, cut through the top of the fuselage (like slicing open a hot dog) with an xacto #11 or #12 blade (I prefer a #12) and get the old motor out. Then, use packing tape to hold the fuse halves together at the motor mount area. The latter is what I use on my SSS.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker