Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:54 AM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,767 Posts
I agree Aussie as it seemed to fly better then I thought it might after reading other flight reviews.

I'm also glad that as it seems you can hand launch.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:13 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
I agree Aussie as it seemed to fly better then I thought it might after reading other flight reviews.

I'm also glad that as it seems you can hand launch.
yes! my question has been answered! lol

it has given me the inclination to maiden the airframe stock, to some degree at least

now i'm itching to see it
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:11 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post

it has given me the inclination to maiden the airframe stock, to some degree at least

now i'm itching to see it
No reason not to fly it stock. I've gotten 5 flights and well over 1 hour airtime on mine - completely stock.

I would caution anyone, however, to watch that esc carefully. Mine comes down too hot to touch and could go into thermal limiting while in flight.. That's the only really dangerous issue I've seen with it stock.

Aussie: Have you decided what to do about your TS 73" Cessna yet? My bone stock one continues to provide reliable and enjoyable flying after over 140 documented flights. I know you really liked that plane, as I do.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:15 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Mine arrives monday !!! may install a bec then maiden otherwise stock..
all I have so far is a 4000mh 3s batt- brand new- may get a 4s as a 2nd batt- we shall see after my maiden impressions- may go for a new motor- will know soon...i will balance with the gopro and share maiden with all of you...
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:27 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
955 Posts
Some answers to the questions above

Yes, gusty wind on the landing. This is why it was all over the place.

I actually checked my esc after landing and it was barely warm to the touch. I am thinking that dbc flys mostly full throttle, i rarely use full throttle, usually modulating between 25% to 75% as you can see in the video. This is how this plane should be flown, as a glider/sailplane, not a hotliner.

Every flight for my has been a hand launch and it does it really well. I usually go full throttle for only a few seconds as you can see in the vid then throttle down. I feel the power is plenty for hand launches. I dont like to ROG 1wheel setups, especially with this wingspan in fear of smacking the ground.
compuatic is offline Find More Posts by compuatic
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic View Post

I actually checked my esc after landing and it was barely warm to the touch. I am thinking that dbc flys mostly full throttle, i rarely use full throttle, usually modulating between 25% to 75% as you can see in the video. This is how this plane should be flown, as a glider/sailplane, not a hotliner.
I dont fly "mostly at full throttle" at all. The last flight was for 24 minutes with about 30% remaining in a 3600mah battery. I purposely tried to spend as much time gliding as possible. I did, however, use full throttle for climbs to high altitudes and then spent as much time gliding as possible. And, for some reason, the esc seemed even hotter than before. Maybe it, or the motor, is defective. But I kind of doubt that.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
955 Posts
hmmm... did you program the esc when you built the plane? you should be using low timing setting. i dont remember what the default was, might have been medium. my motor is cold after every flight.

here is my landing from thursday. much better due to the easier wind that day. just to show that landings are straight forward with this bird.

Super SkySurfer FPV landing (0 min 57 sec)
compuatic is offline Find More Posts by compuatic
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:16 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
I didn't even check esc settings assuming all were at default. Default is listed as low timing BTW. And the issue is not the motor being hot. It's fine. Just the ESC. Its really no biggie as I have several 40-60A ESC laying around, including a couple of Turnigy's with switch mode bec's. It would probably be prudent for me to install one.

I mentioned the ESC issue only to alert others to be aware and check for this. You could easily lose a plane over this.

You're absolutely right about the landings - they are a piece of cake. Either with or without flaps it settles in nicely.
Last edited by dbc; Aug 25, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:54 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
No reason not to fly it stock. I've gotten 5 flights and well over 1 hour airtime on mine - completely stock.

I would caution anyone, however, to watch that esc carefully. Mine comes down too hot to touch and could go into thermal limiting while in flight.. That's the only really dangerous issue I've seen with it stock.

Aussie: Have you decided what to do about your TS 73" Cessna yet? My bone stock one continues to provide reliable and enjoyable flying after over 140 documented flights. I know you really liked that plane, as I do.
yuppers, i'll be maidening stock airframe to start with
i read somewhere (half asleep last night) that there's suspiscion that HK might be bringing out... wait for it... a Super Bixler! LOL!
no surprise if they do, after all they are the "Hobby King of Copies"... but for us hobbyists, competition is always a healthy thing if HK Aussie warehouse stocks one of these, and it is a dead ringer copy of this SSS, i would be very tempted to buy one purely for the purpose of lengthening the fuse to try and achieve the smoothest fpv ride possible

i will be swapping out motor/esc/ext bec prior to maiden...
motor- simply because i would like just a little more than sailplane performance, with a reasonable rate of climb
esc/bec- because i fpv and i will not trust an esc that comes with such a wonderfully cheap airframe... i am not a gambler
what's the verdict on the servos? are they up to the task or stretched to the limit?

honestly, the TS 1900mm Cess is just a gorgeous plane
for all the planes in my hanger, big & small, ep & ic, that Cess was the most graceful scale bird out of all of them
the moment my mate shot her down (inadvertantly), i'm not sure who was closer to tears- him or me lol he actually used to sometimes just sit back and watch the Cess flying around, as did everyone
i had a quick look around for a replacement fuse after acesimmer suggested PW-RC but couldnt find a fuse... i can rebuild everything else, but not the fuse- it exploded on impact with the steel fence
it still sits in the corner of the shed, i havent done anything with it yet... in a state of indecision. This SSS may be the replacement for now

Quote:
You're absolutely right about the landings - they are a piece of cake. Either with or without flaps it settles in nicely.
i was just about to ask you intrepid aviators if you were using flaps on final
it looked like compuatic doesnt need flaps when there's a head wind, nice to know she settles in very slow & stable, going by the vids
mind you i'll probably be loading her up a little more than you guys with electronics, bigger batts & such
that last landing vid Compuatic, looked real cool rolling to a stop on fpv
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Aug 25, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,295 Posts
Maiden of my Super Skysurfer flown line of sight
Was a bit too windy to assess properly so I will fly it in calmer weather when I can

It floats lovely and would take a large payload, I want to keep mine light though
A 5000mah 3S in the nose puts the CG exactly on the recommended 100mm (right on the spar), not certain yet but I think it's a little nose heavy at 100mm so I'll fly it in calmer weather to asses then maybe move the CG back by 10mm at a time using a small eight on the tail boom for now then if it works out right I'll use a camera to balance it properly

Super 2.4m Skysurfer Hat Camera footage banana hobby sky surfer (2 min 41 sec)

Super Skysurfer 2.4m Maiden banana hobby super sky surfer (1 min 54 sec)

Dogdude is online now Find More Posts by Dogdude
Last edited by Dogdude; Aug 26, 2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,295 Posts
New day, new video
Well 2nd day and two more flights, this time in calmer weather with winds around 5-8mph gusting to 10mph
She flies great I still feel that the 100mm CG makes it nose heavy and lethargic/slow and less floaty

Each flight was 20 minutes give or take 30 secs averaging half throttle all the time, one battery took 2466mah to top up and the other took 3059mah so with the CG set at 100mm a 5000mah battery will give you 30 minutes flight time at half throttle
Another thing that points to the 100mm in the manual being wrong is that they themselves recommend a 3600mah battery and with that it's impossible to get the CG at 100mm without adding weights in the nose, she also dips her nose very quickly when lift is lost and her nose drops in turns which has to be corrected with elevator, in fact pretty much the same symptoms as the FMS Fox glider which was also cured by moving the CG back
Anyway I will experiment with the CG one tiny bit at a time and report back, in the meanwhile here's the video

Super Skysurfer Banana hobby 2.4m Sky Surfer Hat Camera (2 min 19 sec)

Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:32 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
Here is a pix that I found on the UK FPV site. It sort of puts things in perspective.

Here is the link:

http://fpv-forum.com/index.php?topic=1109.0
If Banana Hobby would put a pic like this on their product page they would sell 10x more of these.
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:37 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
Let me mention another build problem I haven't seen discussed yet:

The spar tubes (both large and small) in the wings are far longer than necessary - consequently, it's easy to get both spars way off center. This would really compromise wing strength. The big one is so heavy it will even disturb lateral balance unless it's centered.

There's no easy and foolproof solution I can see, shy of cementing both spars in one wing before assembly. But be sure to solve this issue durIng assembly to avoid a potential disaster.

I've moved CG around several times and have settled on 115mm back.
Last edited by dbc; Aug 26, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Let me mention another build caution I haven't seen discussed yet:

The spar tubes (both large and small) in the wings are far longer than necessary - consequently, it's easy to get both spars way off center. This would really compromise wing strength. The big one is so heavy it will even disturb lateral balance unless it's centered.

There's no easy and foolproof solution shy of cementing both spars in one wing before assembly. But be sure to solve this issue durIng assembly to avoid a potential disaster.
There is a very easy, cost effective and practical solution to that (read my build log, link above)

Just use 2 off 12mm pine dowel cut to the right size and 2 off 6mm pine dowel again cut to the right size

Just slide the spar into the tube as far as it will go, stick a piece of tape round the spar where it exits the tube, then remove the spar, mark the centre of the spar with another piece of tape and measure from tape to tape this will give you the MAXIMUM length of dowel required, leave it a little short to allow for flexing of the wings, the main spar dowels are the same length each but the 6mm spar dowel is longer in one wing half than the other
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:23 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
I wouldn't call that particularly easy but it's effective.I used a less involved solution. Proper design would have been better.
Last edited by dbc; Aug 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM.