HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:39 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
I never thought of adding more caps... just looked at my ESC and it has a cap for the lipo side and the 5v side... wonder why BEC's dont (well one for stabilizing, not filtering)?

Heres my little cap array for my RX (Joking... I was bored)
Its only a measly 3400uf at 200v max
Attachment 5477829

Chris
Got me thinking....

I've got a Davis weather station with a small solar panel that charges a super cap for normal operation, with a 123 for cloudy days.

Here's a link on eBay to a one farad super cap.

Whatcha think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-1F-Elec...item53efb4c0e3
robschonk is online now Find More Posts by robschonk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:40 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Wing holding method

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
The velcro on my wings does not seem to be doing the job to hold the wings in. Any other solutions out there that are not too invasive?

I dont like the idea of drilling holes through the top of the fuselage and into the wings, because that section is weak already, so I open to new ideas.
You might consider this method:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=306
Any movement causes the wings to be continually held together. Additionally, it is much lighter than magnets.
That is my design from years ago.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:54 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
Got me thinking....

I've got a Davis weather station with a small solar panel that charges a super cap for normal operation, with a 123 for cloudy days.

Here's a link on eBay to a one farad super cap.

Whatcha think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-1F-Elec...item53efb4c0e3
Super Caps only put out a very small current for a long time... you could parallel a few to get what you want but might be better to have that and a standard cap, they will compliment eachother (one for short busts of energy, one for a slow brownout)

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:30 AM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
265 Posts
Quote:
Super Caps only put out a very small current for a long time... you could parallel a few to get what you want but might be better to have that and a standard cap, they will compliment eachother (one for short busts of energy, one for a slow brownout)

Chris
Here's a bank of 2400 F super caps for cranking a Diesel engine. Of course you'd need a half scale model to carry it....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultracapacit...item460be9fc94

I used to use one of those computer caps the size of a coke can across the power leads of a loran unit on my boat to keep it from loosing its lock when I cranked the engine.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
Here's a bank of 2400 F super caps for cranking a Diesel engine. Of course you'd need a half scale model to carry it....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultracapacit...item460be9fc94

I used to use one of those computer caps the size of a coke can across the power leads of a loran unit on my boat to keep it from loosing its lock when I cranked the engine.
Yes, With enough farads it will produce enough power to do what you need. Their intent was to replace batteries for cmos and other sensitive devices. You can do it but will the weight out weigh the performance?

Just a note... running capacitors in series (just like our Lipos) will decrease the capacitance. For example, that video used 6x 2500 F cap's, each time they double it cuts the capacitance in half, so...

Two caps makes it drop to 1250 F
Four caps makes it drop to 675 F
So 6 caps is somewhere around 400-500 F (much lower than advertised)

You have me thinking more now... going to start searching for some 10uf+ 6v+ supercaps that are reasonably small...

Heres what i found... Running these in parallel can give you some nice power! .33f per 1g with a 1000c discharge rating! Ill probably order 20-40 of them for testing Id love some backup system on my SSS
http://www.all-battery.com/55v033cap...pacitor-1.aspx
40g of these gives you 13.2f at 5.5v

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chanyote66; Jan 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:07 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Just a note... running capacitors in parallel (just like our Lipos) will decrease the capacitance. For example, that video used 6x 2500 F cap's, each time they double it cuts the capacitance in half, so...

Chris
Chris this is incorrect - in parallel they add...they drop in series.
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:19 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113 View Post
Chris this is incorrect - in parallel they add...they drop in series.
ya... I corrected that while you were typing...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:21 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Yes, With enough farads it will produce enough power to do what you need. Their intent was to replace batteries for cmos and other sensitive devices. You can do it but will the weight out weigh the performance?

Just a note... running capacitors in series (just like our Lipos) will decrease the capacitance. For example, that video used 6x 2500 F cap's, each time they double it cuts the capacitance in half, so...

You have me thinking more now... going to start searching for some 10uf+ 6v+ supercaps that are reasonably small...

Heres what i found... Running these in parallel can give you some nice power! .33f per 1g with a 1000c discharge rating! Ill probably order 20-40 of them for testing Id love some backup system on my SSS
http://www.all-battery.com/55v033cap...pacitor-1.aspx
40g of these gives you 13.2f at 5.5v

Chris
Hmmmm, 2400 F, 2500 F? How about 2600 F? That's what is printed on the label on those things. Not that it is really all that big a difference!

Those little super caps are about 1/4 by 3/8 inch. Forty of them plus whatever they are mounted on is going to make a pretty fair sized bundle, and weigh slightly more that 40g in the end. But one or two in parallel with that little Turnigy cap mentioned a couple of pages back might be useful. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Protector.html

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:36 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Those little super caps are about 1/4 by 3/8 inch. Forty of them plus whatever they are mounted on is going to make a pretty fair sized bundle,
Gord
ya, Im not planning on using that many... after some testing with cap's around the house I figure that 5-10 of them paired with about 1000uf standard cap would work great! and im not mounting them to anything... just solder them all directly together epoxy and shrink wrap em...

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:48 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
Quote:
ya, Im not planning on using that many... after some testing with cap's around the house I figure that 5-10 of them paired with about 1000uf standard cap would work great! and im not mounting them to anything... just solder them all directly together epoxy and shrink wrap em...

Chris
once you get it tested and figured out let us know, i'd definitely be interested in hearing your results
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,482 Posts
Will do... They probably will be here late this week.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:00 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
265 Posts
They come in all shapes, sizes and ratings.....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Business-Ind...uper+capacitor
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:18 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,877 Posts
That's fpv lingo. That's another language to me...

Its cameras just to look at the ground from the sky?..

......ok, I'll be quiet
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:11 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Thoughts???

It seems like there are a lot of good ideas on capacitor configurations here. What is a plausible max for size/weight/value/etc. I would think that there is some point that adding any more size/weight/value/etc would be counter productive or adds no more protection. Anybody have any guidelines on this.
FWIW-I use THIS one on my larger (and 6+ chs) planes with no problems. But, is it enough? I know, I know, that is the one that Boopidoo (sp?) suggests. I wonder if he has any thoughts on this?
AJ
P.S. Where I am heading is like LiPo's. Somewhere along the way, the weight of LiPo's used will cause less flying time rather than more. How to apply that logic to spike protection is the mystery for me.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:20 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,472 Posts
The cap is not to be used as a backup power but rather to handle high current spikes. Therfore I don't think larger caps then the one sold on HK is necessary.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo