Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:22 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Nobody cares about this topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
You freely admit burning out the ESC by overloading it yet you had no problem demanding a free replacement from Castle Creations, one of the most highly regarded manufacturers in the industry. After getting that have said that you would never again use a CC ESC. Go figure.

This is not a personal attack - just a statement of fact per your posts.
Of course, it is. What possible value is it to anyone??
So, for that reason, I offer a pointed reply:
You left out a few key points like, I told CC exactly what happened and how I did it. They commiserated and replaced the ESC. After all, no matter how it happened (which was by mistake-another thing you keep leaving out), CC has the whole story and they don't have a problem. Plus, regardless of what is said, the fact remains that it should NOT have failed. I don't have a problem. CC does not have a problem Why do you have a problem?
This whole discussion was buried many posts ago. What is it going to take for you to let this go? If you want the last word, please go ahead. You have my permission.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:35 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Dear god

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiZdY...ature=youtu.be
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:10 PM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
No I didn't cause I used the same prop that came with it. Figured it would work the same as the other. I did three small flights 1st, had some power issues brought it in, checked all systems....good. Then complete failure. I'm guessing the ESC overheated but why??
stealth01 is offline Find More Posts by stealth01
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:12 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
666 Posts
Wow... things move fast on this thread... So I have two suggestions for external BEC's, both Turnigy, both either 5 or 6 v. Difference is that one is 3A and the other is 5A. Which should I go with and why?
guaglione87 is online now Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:12 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
lol
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:23 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth01 View Post
OK guys here it is, the Super Sky surfer death dive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5_gvY8DW18

First the motor went out a few months ago, changed the motor and ESC

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ESC_Opto_.html

Redbrick did some funny things would run the motor for about 10 seconds the beep and stop the power to the motor...very unnerving. Changed back into a turnegy 50A programmable and this happened. Oh well, had a 5000 in the front with gopro setup and 6 ounces of lead and it still looked tail heavy. Has BHobby made any changes to the model since this thread started?
The batterys survived but everthing else was toast.

Anyone need any scrap EPO foam?
Looks like a lockout to me.

Your last post states that you had a couple of flights then you landed due to power problems so perhaps the power had started to deplete enough to cause lockout / brownout.

What TX and RX were you using at the time.
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Last edited by soundcheque; Jan 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:38 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
Wow... things move fast on this thread... So I have two suggestions for external BEC's, both Turnigy, both either 5 or 6 v. Difference is that one is 3A and the other is 5A. Which should I go with and why?

Go for the higher amperage one.

The reason is that you are running 6 servos AND the receiver so the higher amperage will give you more headroom and less chance of system failure.

When you are flying, although you are not using all the conrol surfaces at the same time, the servos are still maintaining their centrepoint and the flow of air on the control surfaces will still make the servos work to keep their position even at neutral.

Someone else may have the exact figures but I have always been lead to believe that servo amp draw, depending on the application is usually 0.25 - 0.5 amps.
Certainly 0.5 amps under load.
Therefore multiply this by 6 and you'll have a projected amps draw of 1.5 - 3.0 amps.

Digital servos draw surprisingly more.

The only sure way is to connect a meter in line but to get an exact reading it will need to be installed while flying.

By using an external BEC with a 5 amp rating you will clearly have plenty of headroom.

The spec may also suggest that the BEC may be 3 amps with a 5 amp peak or 5 amps with a 7 amp peak.

Hope this helps
Last edited by soundcheque; Jan 24, 2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:06 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheque View Post
Go for the higher amperage one.

The reason is that you are running 6 servos AND the receiver so the higher amperage will give you more headroom and less chance of system failure.

When you are flying, although you are not using all the conrol surfaces at the same time, the servos are still maintaining their centrepoint and the flow of air on the control surfaces will still make the servos work to keep their position even at neutral.

Someone else may have the exact figures but I have always been lead to believe that servo amp draw, depending on the application is usually 0.25 - 0.5 amps.
Certainly 0.5 amps under load.
Therefore multiply this by 6 and you'll have a projected amps draw of 1.5 - 3.0 amps.

Digital servos draw surprisingly more.

The only sure way is to connect a meter in line but to get an exact reading it will need to be installed while flying.

By using an external BEC with a 5 amp rating you will clearly have plenty of headroom.

The spec may also suggest that the BEC may be 3 amps with a 5 amp peak or 5 amps with a 7 amp peak.

Hope this helps
I am using a 55amp esc with 5amp built in sbec and so far no heating issues.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:50 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Source please

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
I am using a 55amp esc with 5amp built in sbec and so far no heating issues.
Good choice. What brand? Do you have a link?
AJ
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:51 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
666 Posts
5a it is. Grazie mille!
guaglione87 is online now Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:06 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Progress on SSS attempt 2

Wiring the wings
Name: IMG_0114.jpg
Views: 101
Size: 230.9 KB
Description: Name: IMG_0120.jpg
Views: 96
Size: 190.9 KB
Description: Name: IMG_0121.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 211.4 KB
Description:

Testing all lights (no controller yet)
Name: IMG_0126.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 183.0 KB
Description: Name: IMG_0127.jpg
Views: 92
Size: 176.2 KB
Description: Name: IMG_0129.jpg
Views: 99
Size: 243.7 KB
Description:
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:33 AM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Wiring looks really neat.
And those LED's wowzers
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:43 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Could you please provide more information. I am not clear on what you suggest.
AJ
Sure, a capacitor can help providing power for very short current spikes that can happen for stalled servos. This can make the receiver fail if you're unlucky. It has to be one of the easiest and cheapest modifications to do yourself so I definitely recommend it. Especially for the larger more expensive models. But it's also possible to buy it.

Such as this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Protector.html

Some RCRx have such a capacitor already built in: http://tslrs.com/products/rx600lr-boosted/

Also, I really don't think that people feel that they need you to "allow" posting or "give" them permission. Sure you can give that permission if you will but it doesn't really matter as I'm sure you're aware. Anyway, you have my permission to post as well, I'll allow it.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Last edited by boopidoo; Jan 25, 2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:12 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Cap it off

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
Sure, a capacitor can help providing power for very short current spikes that can happen for stalled servos. This can make the receiver fail if you're unlucky. It has to be one of the easiest and cheapest modifications to do yourself so I definitely recommend it. Especially for the larger more expensive models. But it's also possible to buy it.

Such as this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Protector.html

Some RCRx have such a capacitor already built in: http://tslrs.com/products/rx600lr-boosted/

Also, I really don't think that people feel that they need you to "allow" posting or "give" them permission. Sure you can give that permission if you will but it doesn't really matter as I'm sure you're aware. Anyway, you have my permission to post as well, I'll allow it.
Thank you for your permission.
You linked some good information IMO. Thanks for that, too. Have some popcorn.
AJ
I just looked over that Rx. Wow!! That is one feature rich item.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:27 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
I never thought of adding more caps... just looked at my ESC and it has a cap for the lipo side and the 5v side... wonder why BEC's dont (well one for stabilizing, not filtering)?

Heres my little cap array for my RX (Joking... I was bored)
Its only a measly 3400uf at 200v max
Name: IMG_0131[1].jpg
Views: 85
Size: 260.0 KB
Description:

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member