Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:35 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
CC ESC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BldrFlyr View Post
I use the CC 10amp BEC in most of my planes and helis. Never had a failure.
Castle Creations is generally considered to be the "Rolls-Royce" of ESC's on every forum that I have ever followed.
Clearly, my opinion does not matter.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:42 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
it's easy to dismiss them sometimes given the method of delivery/rebuttal.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:52 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,801 Posts
:/ I think i may move my SSS info to a different thread... this one is becoming strangely hostile...

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Things were finally back to normal and I'm willing to bet some people came back to the thread (like me as I was here from the start), but then this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2597

If you are already writing an apology for the post before it's even posted, chances are it shouldn't be posted.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:58 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Things were finally back to normal and I'm willing to bet some people came back to the thread (like me as I was here from the start), but then this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2597

If you are already writing an apology for the post before it's even posted, chances are it shouldn't be posted.
You are correct. I edited it. Thank you.
Happy now?
AJ
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:00 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Please explain. I don't get it.
AJ
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:01 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I have a Hacker X-7 (actually 2). Here is my problem - I fly a 3 channel plane around and occasionally, it will lock out the motor (the controls still work fine). After having it happen many times, I try to fly in somewhat close overhead and push the throttle to zero. I hear a fairly loud "BeeP" and the motor works again. It does this with both ESC's. After swapping everything many times, it comes down to everything works great with no problems if I use a 10A ESC. I several know low amp draw servos and no change. I monitored all changes with a watt meter and I am not exceeding the 1A rating of the ESC. So, the obvious problem is the ESC's (2). Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong with the insides of the unit?
TIA
AJ
The reason I ask is because I would like to "fix/modify" the ESC's to work properly just to learn something new.
I have had this only one time on a "Hi Model" ESC.

This situation usually manifests in the event of a high temperature being detected or a fall in volts lower than what the ESC is looking for.

If the ESC has not been programmed to accept the size lipo which you are using (2 , 3, or 4s etc) it will auto detect the pack size on connection each time.

It could be a problem where the auto detect has not worked correctly and the ESC is seeing a too low voltage input after using the throttle and the drop in voltage of the pack is being detected too early by the ESC.

When you push the throttle stick to off this resets the ESC and then you can power up the motor again, this is registerd with the "Beep" and usually does all this within a 2 second period.

I can only suggest to try manually going into the program mode and setting the ESC to use what ever lipo cell count you are using.

I don't think it will be a temperature issue if both ESC's are doing the same thing
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:08 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheque View Post
I have had this only one time on a "Hi Model" ESC.

1. This situation usually manifests in the event of a high temperature being detected or a fall in volts lower than what the ESC is looking for.

2. If the ESC has not been programmed to accept the size lipo which you are using (2 , 3, or 4s etc) it will auto detect the pack size on connection each time.

3. It could be a problem where the auto detect has not worked correctly and the ESC is seeing a too low voltage input after using the throttle and the drop in voltage of the pack is being detected too early by the ESC.

4. When you push the throttle stick to off this resets the ESC and then you can power up the motor again, this is registerd with the "Beep" and usually does all this within a 2 second period.

5. I can only suggest to try manually going into the program mode and setting the ESC to use what ever lipo cell count you are using.

6. I don't think it will be a temperature issue if both ESC's are doing the same thing
6. Agreed. It does it within 10-20 seconds most times and when I land, nothing is even warm.
5. I had not thought of that. I will try it and let you know. All of your post is excellent information IMO. Thank You.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 24, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:30 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcia83
Please explain. I don't get it.
AJ
Please don't explain. Let it die instead.

Please.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:50 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,477 Posts
Quote:
So, bottom line guys - please don't just change the 3S to a 4S because it WILL work.,.... perhaps at the peril of a very fine airplane. Oh, I know the above very well because I (and I freely admit it) did something like that (another plane-NOT the SSS).AJ
You freely admit burning out the ESC by overloading it yet you had no problem demanding a free replacement from Castle Creations, one of the most highly regarded manufacturers in the industry. After getting that have said that you would never again use a CC ESC. Go figure.

This is not a personal attack - just a statement of fact per your posts.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Jan 24, 2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
and you were concerned about me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Please don't explain. Let it die instead.

Please.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Dooooohhhh!!!

OK guys here it is, the Super Sky surfer death dive.

Super Sky Surfer air crash. (0 min 47 sec)

First the motor went out a few months ago, changed the motor and ESC

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ESC_Opto_.html

Redbrick did some funny things would run the motor for about 10 seconds the beep and stop the power to the motor...very unnerving. Changed back into a turnegy 50A programmable and this happened. Oh well, had a 5000 in the front with gopro setup and 6 ounces of lead and it still looked tail heavy. Has BHobby made any changes to the model since this thread started?
The batterys survived but everthing else was toast.

Anyone need any scrap EPO foam?
stealth01 is offline Find More Posts by stealth01
Last edited by stealth01; Feb 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: new link
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Ugh..that sucks. What the heck happened? Thank god it veered toward the sand and water instead of the homes. It looked like it impacted the sand then did a little hop into the drink.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
My less than death dive

Since you can see the wing to my SSS in the back of the truck, (left hand side) I think I can still post this.

One of my Bixlers. Went up, flew for about 15 second on 3/4 power. All of a sudden it went dead. Everything went dead, no power or control. So it starts porpoising on the way down and for a second or two I'm thinking it might actually come in at the right angle. As you can see, not so much. Luckily it's all tall grass that has been windblown down and deer use it to run around in, and it's pretty thick so no damage to the plane.

I've been wanting the get the SSS in this area but this was the last flight I had there, perhaps someone can give me a thought on this odd issue.

It's a pretty good sized field, no cell towers or anything like that around, just some homes on three sides. At three different times, with three different planes, using 3 different receivers I've lost power after about 20-30 seconds of flight. Complete shut down, no control at all. Sometimes it's on the first flight, sometimes it's the 6th or 7th. It's always at this field though. All different batteries and esc's too. The only constant in all of this is my transmitter, a DX8. But I've never had the issue at any other field. The receivers used were all OEM Spektrum too.

I've heard of FM signals being "jammed" or shut down, but can this happen with 2.4 as well?

Thanks!
Last edited by porcia83; Jan 24, 2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Can't upload video, will try later.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:14 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth01 View Post
OK guys here it is, the Super Sky surfer death dive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5_gvY8DW18

First the motor went out a few months ago, changed the motor and ESC

Redbrick did some funny things would run the motor for about 10 seconds the beep and stop the power to the motor...very unnerving. Changed back into a turnegy 50A programmable and this happened. Oh well, had a 5000 in the front with gopro setup and 6 ounces of lead and it still looked tail heavy. Has BHobby made any changes to the model since this thread started?
The batterys survived but everthing else was toast.

Anyone need any scrap EPO foam?
Yipes. That is very unfortunate. That is exactly what can happen if you accidentally overamp an ESC which is probably what happened. Then, the overamp/overtemp safety mechanisms in the ESC will stop the motor (or entire ESC). When the overamp/overtemp part of the ESC does not work, fire is a possible result which is what I keep getting hell about. A CC ESC of mine failed because of that and one person is still tweaked because I returned it. Hmmmmm...
What prop did you use with that motor? Did you run the numbers with a watt meter before you flew it?
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 24, 2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: typo