Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:29 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Copied from an article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
Well that is what I'm unsure of. My SSS should weight around 5lbs AUW but I don't know what kind of power/weight ratio the tow plane should have to the glider. Just curious if there was a "rule of thumb" out there for tow planes.

Eric
Yes. Electric motors are even better low end torque. As a rule of thumb, a tow plane typically needs a power system that is about half again larger than what would be used for a sport plane application.
Copied from THIS article.
FWIW-I have a Micro Telemaster and a mini-telemaster. I use the mini to tow my sons Slow Stick slope glider. But, that is an extremely light plane to tow and the mini has much more power than needed. I hope some of this helps you.

AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:35 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,685 Posts
hmmm... so adding to aj's details... Even though I do not tow other RC planes, I have pulled streamers and banners behind my RC planes... it is basic calculations

If the SSS weighs 5lbs
Tow Plane Weighs 8lbs
You would need 12+lbs of thrust to tow based on a 80% power to weight minimum

And at that you hope nothing happens or the tow plane is going to dump you to save himself...

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Custom All in one 1.3ghz RX
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:33 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Hmmm.... Do you even know how much an SSS weighs? Do you even own one? If so, proof please.
All models, even the Super Sky Surfer, has to abide to the physical rules so indeed this is a relevant question.

BTW, what does your negative remarks about my comments contribute, really?

Several times in this thread you write posts questioning what others posts contribute, but what does your questioning posts contribute? IMO I think the trolling in this thread needs to stop, don't you? For it to stop it is IMO a good way to start behave politely even when someone questions your information.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:51 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,568 Posts
I think polix method is an easy and fast way to start. Did you already have a towing plane in mind?

I've flown RC gliders (though mostly full scale) however I have never flown a towing plane but I guess it is good to have a lot of extra power for RC since I, at least, find it much harder to center (correct word?) correctly flying an RC glider then full scale during towing.

EDIT: The article ajbaker posted a link to is very interesting, I also suggest you read it.
Last edited by boopidoo; Jan 22, 2013 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Added comment about article
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:34 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
All models, even the Super Sky Surfer, has to abide to the physical rules so indeed this is a relevant question.

Several times in this thread you write posts questioning what others posts contribute, but what does your questioning posts contribute? IMO I think the trolling in this thread needs to stop, don't you? For it to stop it is IMO a good way to start behave politely even when someone questions your information.
You are trolling too. and yes. All of your posts had nothing to do with the SSS. After all, you don't even own one. Buy one and then you can join the rest of us and contribute relevant posts.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:41 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopidoo

You are trolling too. and yes. All of your posts had nothing to do with the SSS. After all, you don't even own one. Buy one and then you can join the rest of us and contribute relevant posts.
Can I ask you guys a favor?

Please take this line of discussion, to another thread?

My guess is, no one here is interested in reading it.

I've started one for you, here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post23893211

Please.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:57 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,568 Posts
Nice one! No, I'm not interested in continuing that discussion since I don't think it would lead to anything productive.

Let's keep this thread about the SSS instead.

BTW, over here it's quite cold and the snow is very powdery (is that a word?) so I'm thinking about making a wide skid. Has anyone made wide skids that works on soft snow? I'm thinking it would be easy to make one i KYDEX and fit it where the wheel is. The ones I've made previously has always been too narrow so I guess it has to be quite large.
Last edited by boopidoo; Jan 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:09 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
AJ i've been enjoying this thread since i first purchased my SSS and i've been staying off lately simply due to your aggressiveness. This thread is for everyone, even if they don't own a SSS they can have positive contributions.

You may not realize you come off aggressively on some of your posts but please check your posts more carefully, we're all here to help each other.
CrashAffinity is online now Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:17 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Nice video. It climbs out really well. Very smooth flying. Were you flying it with your FPV? That reservoir looks like a nice place to swim (for a polar bear). What prop did you use with the 4s LiPo? Did you have the upgrade installed when you made the video?
AJ
You'll see some details at the end of the vid as well as my other posts in this forum but yes FPV, OS Motor, 10x6 prop, CC Ice 75amp.
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:21 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
SSS and Condor

Here's a tandem FPV flight over the weekend.

SSS and Condor - 1st FPV Flight.wmv (10 min 27 sec)
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:32 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
Great video BldrFlyr! For those who built the SSS in kit form what is everyone doing for servo extensions? From what I've been reading it seems that for long runs I should probably do away with the connectors and solder the wires together and just use a short extension at the receiver. Just got the kit in yesterday (very well packed with no damage) and the servos I ordered from HeadsUpRC came in last weekend. Still need to order the carbon spar from Goodwinds.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:42 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Great video BldrFlyr! For those who built the SSS in kit form what is everyone doing for servo extensions? From what I've been reading it seems that for long runs I should probably do away with the connectors and solder the wires together and just use a short extension at the receiver. Just got the kit in yesterday (very well packed with no damage) and the servos I ordered from HeadsUpRC came in last weekend. Still need to order the carbon spar from Goodwinds.
I always do all my connectors and solder myself, if you want to keep the connector, just cut the servo wires, solder a new length of servo wire and resolder the stock connector,

I never trust the extensions.
bakchos is offline Find More Posts by bakchos
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:46 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
I embedded a little plug right under where each wing plugs in, wired them to the receiver, and then shortened the wing's long servo wires. Now I can just plug each wing into the fuselage, and then plug the servo wires into the fuselage right below the wing roots. A lot easier than snaking the long servo wires thru the fuselage every time you put the wings on.

See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post22991214 for details and photos.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:03 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
Thanks for the info. Soldered it is then! Oh, and I did see your post before Little-Acorn. I'll probably do something like that on this build. Although on my smaller Sky Surfer with flaps it only takes me an extra minute or two to connect all 4 extensions. Your way looks easier. Still deciding on whether to stick with the stock motor on 4S or go with something else.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:32 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Last word

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
Nice one! No, I'm not interested in continuing that discussion since I don't think it would lead to anything productive.

Let's keep this thread about the SSS instead.

BTW, over here it's quite cold and the snow is very powdery (is that a word?) so I'm thinking about making a wide skid. Has anyone made wide skids that works on soft snow? I'm thinking it would be easy to make one i KYDEX and fit it where the wheel is. The ones I've made previously has always been too narrow so I guess it has to be quite large.
I guess you insist on having the last word. So, go ahead. You have my permission.
For me, I am going to go along with everyone elses suggestion- I am done with that discussion.