HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:28 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Let me correct that for ya It's my truck we drive on sunday not yours.
I'm just glad I have 4 wheel drive to handle all that foam in the bead

thats foam in the bed- i hope

and ok a motor a month is way cheaper than buying your beer for a weekend
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:33 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
thats foam in the bed- i hope

and ok a motor a month is way cheaper than buying your beer for a weekend
oh snap:d
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Mar 2012
236 Posts
4c 8x4 speed prop
1605g
453w
with the stock motor
I don't thont 28.7 amp will hurt it and in the air more like 24 amps
Blaser is online now Find More Posts by Blaser
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:35 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaser View Post
4c 8x4 speed prop
1605g
453w
with the stock motor
I don't thont 28.7 amp will hurt it and in the air more like 24 amps
That looks to be a nice option for 4s. I don't understand why the motor is only rated for 3s. If it will tolerate 4s (and I think it should at this reasonable current draw) you would get a little performance bump.
That thrust figure is probably calculated rather than measured?
I actually measured 1332g on the stock system - it calculated about 100g more.

I'd sure replace that ESC if using this prop. The supplied one looks suspiciously small to dissipate 40a and is only rated for 3s. Plus it only has a linear BEC. It gets too warm (hot) on my plane flown with no additional gear, already.
A good quality 40-60a ESC with a built in switch mode BEC would put that issue to rest. Here, I'll complain again about the poor design that provides no airflow for cooling.

This ESC:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...SC-with/Detail

along with the motor I linked earlier, would give over 500watt power draw, and everything would be operated well within its design limits. Fly it heavy and high and not worry about anything. Total cost for the upgrade , about $68. (ESC, motor, APC 9x6 prop)
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Aug 24, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:50 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,773 Posts
Just got in from flying this tub again. Winds are 8-14 mph. The ROG takeoff from grass was the most entertaining part of the flight. It awkwardly plows it's way thru the grass for over 100 ft before lifting off. Very ugly, but strangely entertaining, as it requires a lot of aileron input to keep the wings level and rudder input to keep it on course.

It's pitch, yaw, and roll tendencies have already been pointed out by others, but they are really evident in some wind. Someone suggested lengthening the boom and the nose - which is exactly what it needs for better stability. But it should have been designed correctly to start with. The ESC came down too hot to touch. Be careful!

A completely mediocre product that could have been great with a slight change to its proportions and a better power system. But, hey, I got a lot of foam and it didn't cost much!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:08 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,828 Posts
I would love to see a video of this TUB takeoff and fly.
My friends TUB will be here Mon I only hope it isn't as bad as you make it out to be.
We will do our best to figure out what it needs so that it is a great flyer.
Scott does intend to use it for a video planform.
So far it looks like the powertrain needs work.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:43 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
My friends TUB will be here Mon I only hope it isn't as bad as you make it out to be.
I didn't say it's bad. Just mediocre. I just get frustrated to see a product that could have been great, but for a few design flaws, falls short.

Upgrade the power system with the inexpensive mod I suggested, or something similar, and you'll be fine with it.
Last edited by dbc; Aug 24, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:50 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
992 Posts
Here is my setup.

This shows the 5000mah 3S fitment:

Camera / tx

Full shot

mediocre ground station
compuatic is online now Find More Posts by compuatic
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:19 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic View Post
Here is my setup.

Camera / tx

Full shot

mediocre ground station
Nice setup.
I wish I knew more about FPV would love to give it a try.
I think I would start with 5.8 as I don't see myself flying at a great distance.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
236 Posts
no that is a measured not a calculated # and I only got 1100 with the stock setup
you might get even more then 1600 on your set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
That looks to be a nice option for 4s. I don't understand why the motor is only rated for 3s. If it will tolerate 4s (and I think it should at this reasonable current draw) you would get a little performance bump.
That thrust figure is probably calculated rather than measured?
I actually measured 1332g on the stock system - it calculated about 100g more.

I'd sure replace that ESC if using this prop. The supplied one looks suspiciously small to dissipate 40a and is only rated for 3s. Plus it only has a linear BEC. It gets too warm (hot) on my plane flown with no additional gear, already.
A good quality 40-60a ESC with a built in switch mode BEC would put that issue to rest. Here, I'll complain again about the poor design that provides no airflow for cooling.

This ESC:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...SC-with/Detail

along with the motor I linked earlier, would give over 500watt power draw, and everything would be operated well within its design limits. Fly it heavy and high and not worry about anything. Total cost for the upgrade , about $68. (ESC, motor, APC 9x6 prop)
Blaser is online now Find More Posts by Blaser
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:37 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Here is my setup.

Camera / tx

Full shot

mediocre ground station
That is an impressive set up and it shows your planning and passion for 'First Person Vision' FPV flying.

I wish you all the best in this.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:29 AM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
992 Posts
Here is my FPV flight from today. I'm a total newb at FPV, my 5th fpv flight and flight on this plane. Nothing too exciting, just moazying around the park to stay within my current 500meter limit. There was a nasty wind during the whole flight coming out of the north-west (towards the sun).

I added a stack of 7 quarters to the nose as you can see in the video to play around with the CG. I think i found the good spot. I'll be moving the camera further down the nose and removing the quarters.

Super Sky Surfer FPV (27 min 2 sec)
compuatic is online now Find More Posts by compuatic
Last edited by compuatic; Aug 25, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:58 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
here is my fpv flight from today. I'm a total newb at fpv, my 5th fpv flight and flight on this plane. Nothing too exciting, just moazying around the park to stay within my current 500meter limit. There was a nasty wind during the whole flight coming out of the north-west (towards the sun).

I added a stack of 7 quarters to the nose as you can see in the video to play around with the cg. I think i found the good spot. I'll be moving the camera further down the nose and removing the quarters.

http://youtu.be/kovtc8qy1kg
nice one!!!
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Jun 2010
713 Posts
Quote:
Here is my FPV flight from today. I'm a total newb at FPV, my 5th fpv flight and flight on this plane. Nothing too exciting, just moazying around the park to stay within my current 500meter limit. There was a nasty wind during the whole flight coming out of the north-west (towards the sun).

I added a stack of 7 quarters to the nose as you can see in the video to play around with the CG. I think i found the good spot. I'll be moving the camera further down the nose and removing the quarters.

http://youtu.be/kOvTC8QY1Kg
Well it looks like it cruises at around 6 amps or so and should do about 45 minutes on a 5000mah battery. Seems stable enough, but noticed you had a little problem with the landing. Were there crosswinds?

cliff
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:56 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,969 Posts
real nice to see some in-flight footage, thx ever so!

i was wondering about the crosswinds too, perhaps direction of wind from the water?

assuming stock setup, seems to float around no different than the usual easy/bix, i can see why the comments on low/under powered, but in the light of powered glider, power could be sufficient for some folks
personally, i'd like some power in reserve

looks like a capable stable platform, going by your vid... makes me feel a little more optimistic heh heh

thanks again
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'