SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:13 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Loved the touch and go video. looks like he was using crow mixing. That was cool!! I need to play around with some mixing on mine. unfortunately I have only 4 flights on mine so far, they were awsome flights, but weather conditions here have been bad on the days that I have had a chance to get out and fly a little. I think it has been almost two months that it has been hanging on the wall waiting
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:26 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Being called a newbie is not an attack, nor is it derogatory. We were all newbies at one time, and as you have noted post count does not necessarily correlate with skill or knowledge level.
When it's used in that manner it is definitely an attack IMO. It is quite clearly used in a demeaning way to belittle some elses opinion while trying to boost their own opinion by writing insignificant details about how large threads one started etc... as clear invitation to a pissing contest as I've seen in years. I wonder if anyone really is impressed by that?
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Last edited by boopidoo; Jan 22, 2013 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Got reported, removed the kinderkarten remark which I guess was unnecessary.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:13 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I just ordered a 5800mAh 5s LiPo from Hobby King's USA Warehouse, hopefully it will be here next week. Then I can move the external ESC from the nose (where it looks strange) back under the motor where it belongs, and get some more flying time per charge to boot, while still balancing the plane properly.

Q: What's the only thing that never stops working on a Super Sky Surfer?
A: The owner.

P.S. See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post23131125 for pictures of strange nose-mounted exernal ESC, etc.
The battery arrived (wow, quickly from HobbyKing's USA warehouse in Seattle! ), 5800mAh, 5s, 18.5V.

Would you believe it had *** 8 gauge wires*** ? Last time I saw wires that thick, they were jumper cables. No way would they fit the paired 4mm bullet connectors I've been using for all my medium-to-large installations. So I grafted some 12ga wires on and installed the 4mm bullet pair. Hadn't figured on doing any arc-welding with this battey, 12ga has flown the plane fine so far with the Emax motor http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail and 100A ESC.

Now to move the ESC back where it belongs (outside the fuselage, under the motor pod), and see where the balance point turns out.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
New to RC

Never done RC before. Thinking of buying either the Bixler 2 or the SUPER Sky Surfer. Which would be the best learner for flying rc planes?
Thanks
onco11 is offline Find More Posts by onco11
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:46 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onco11 View Post
Never done RC before. Thinking of buying either the Bixler 2 or the SUPER Sky Surfer. Which would be the best learner for flying rc planes?
Thanks
IMHO the Bixler2 is better. It's a little more stable, and medium-sized so it's easier to launch. This is also true for its close cousins the (regular) Sky Surfer and the Easystar.

That said, the extra-large Super Sky Surfer isn't bad, either. It's rudder-only performance isn't quite as good as the others, but when flown with ailerons it's nice and responsive.

Another interesting plane is the small Hobbyzone Champ. It's relatively tiny, with an 18" wingspan and weighing only a few ounces. But it comes complete, ready to fly, costs $99 (less at some hobby shops), and a wonderfully forgiving beginner plane. It's my top recommendation for people starting out in R/C. The three medium-sized planes above, tie for second, and the Super Sky Surfer is third.

Champ and Easystar can be bought at your local Hobby Shop.

(Regular) Sky Surfer is available only through mail order. A good source is:

Ready-to-fly: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=505
Almost Ready to fly: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=506
Kit: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=507

Hobby King has the Bixler 2: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...bixler&x=0&y=0

Banana Hobby also has the Sky Surfer. But their Customer Service is miserable, use them only if you like endless hassles.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Jan 20, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:44 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onco11 View Post
Thanks
I think the regular sized skysurfer or bixler would be a better choice for you. the Super sky surfer is just as gently, but when it crashes it tends to blow apart into alot more pieces because it is alot heavier than the regular versions, also the shear size of the SSS makes it more difficult to fly at smaller parks.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:00 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,308 Posts
Not to many people seem to know about toysonics, but the have quite a few of the same airplanes as BH, at similar prices, but without the customer service headaches. I have purchased quite a few planes from Toysonics with no problems at all, however I have also been lucky to not have any problems with BH either after more than a few purchases. Ready made sells the hollow fuse V1 and toy sonics sells the V2 that has clear conopy among other changes

Kit version with motor,
http://www.toysonics.com/sky-surfer-...ess-motor.html

Ready to fly
http://www.toysonics.com/sky-surfer-...otor-lipo.html

Any of which are an excellent choice
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:14 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Another interesting plane is the small Hobbyzone Champ. It's relatively tiny, with an 18" wingspan and weighing only a few ounces. But it comes complete, ready to fly, costs $99 (less at some hobby shops), and a wonderfully forgiving beginner plane. It's my top recommendation for people starting out in R/C. The three medium-sized planes above, tie for second, and the Super Sky Surfer is third.

Champ and Easystar can be bought at your local Hobby Shop.
I agree, but another great plane would be the Champ's big brother, the Hobbyzone Super Cub. It would be a bit more tolerant of windy conditions. It's very expandable, by adding floats, ailerons, and a brushless motor as you progress.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ7400....Fad_QgodKgIAPw
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:25 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Here come the pics!

Finally got around to working on the new SSS

I cut a small groove for the paracord to lay in about 1mm deep
Name: cut.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 126.4 KB
Description:
The ESC was placed inside the area with the motor and a scoop was added for those hot summer days. (the ESC is a Turnigy Trust 55A, they can have the direction programmed just incase its installed wrong.)
Name: install ESC.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 112.4 KB
Description:
after the cord was installed i filled the space with gorilla glue and covered with fiber tape. The pressurized expansion of the GG forces its way into the fibers and hardens (sort of like a poor-mans fiberglass)
Name: Cord glue.jpg
Views: 104
Size: 168.8 KB
Description:
While that was drying I removed the pushrods and ran wires (I used the push rods as a wire pull to bring two sets of 3 wire shielded cable back for servos and lights.
Name: tail servos.jpg
Views: 106
Size: 113.2 KB
Description:
I then wrapped the entire plane in 3mil car wrap vinyl
Name: vinyl wrap.jpg
Views: 92
Size: 94.7 KB
Description: Name: Wrap 2.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 106.2 KB
Description:
The bottom was covered in 6mil 3M Scotchlite brand reflective sheeting (580 series) This is Mil-spec safety tape for marking objects and personnel on active runways
Name: IMG_0084.jpg
Views: 85
Size: 69.7 KB
Description:
I used some of the Reflex Silver (covered with red sharpie) and black Reflex for designs on the plane.
Name: body.jpg
Views: 107
Size: 202.0 KB
Description:
They are extremely reflective (picture taken with an Iphone flash)
Name: body reflex.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 164.0 KB
Description:
And here is testing some patches for the wingtips
Name: IMG_0095.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 77.8 KB
Description:

More to come! I have to install wiring in the wings for markers and Flood lights, Make some design, and install FPV gear!

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:51 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,200 Posts
Nice! I'm definitely gonna one day move my servos to the back like that. I bought the heavy duty push rods. They were the only ones I could find in the area at the time.

Chanyote, what would you think the weight would be after everything said and done?
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Nice! I'm definitely gonna one day move my servos to the back like that. I bought the heavy duty push rods. They were the only ones I could find in the area at the time.

Chanyote, what would you think the weight would be after everything said and done?
Ill have to weigh it tomorrow... Dad has the scale at his house

Unless i can figure out how to use my WII to weigh stuff precisely

Im shooting for around my original SSS's weight of around 5lbs...
The removal of pushrods and installation of wire was a good 20g reduction
The change to 5000mAh from two 2650's is a 210g reduction
The Spar will be replaced with is another 200g savings
The FPV pod is now carbonfiber and wiring cleaned up so estamated about 100g savings there...

The Laminate weighs about 200g for all of the 3mil, the 6mil weighs 70g
The paracord was only about 40g with the GG on it
The Extreme tape is about 100g total over the whole plane
And the reflective 6mil tape is only a total of about 20g

Ill weigh the thing with all gear and one 5000mah, then see how it feels with two

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:28 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
I cut a small groove for the paracord to lay in about 1mm deep...
What is the purpose of doing that... I assume strength?

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:03 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
What is the purpose of doing that... I assume strength?

Eric
Yup... Look a few pages back at what happened to my last SSS

And... Here is an example of the 3M Reflex laminate at 30 meters away... again only a Iphone flash (you can see it barely lights the house only 2 meters away)

There is no power onboard or any LEDS on at all... this is only the reflective material!

Name: IMG_0103[1].jpg
Views: 93
Size: 164.8 KB
Description:

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chanyote66; Jan 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:25 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Yup... Look a few pages back at what happened to my last SSS

And... Here is an example of the 3M Reflex laminate at 30 meters away... again only a Iphone flash (you can see it barely lights the house only 2 meters away)

There is no power onboard or any LEDS on at all... this is only the reflective material!

Attachment 5466341

Chris
I put automotive reflective tape on the leading edges of some of my models. If worse comes to worse, and they go down in the woods or in a field, I can go out at night with a spotlight...

Oh hello Mr. Game Warden. No, of course not. I'm looking for my plane.....
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:40 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
I put automotive reflective tape on the leading edges of some of my models. If worse comes to worse, and they go down in the woods or in a field, I can go out at night with a spotlight...

Oh hello Mr. Game Warden. No, of course not. I'm looking for my plane.....
lol... yup even more awkward... going through people's yards at night with a flashlight...

Owner: "Whos out there"
Me: "Sorry, im looking for a model plane"
Owner: "Oh where were you flying from?"
Me: "About 2-3 miles north of here"
Owner:

Chris
RCG Plus Member