HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:27 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Yay! My 5000mah 4S lipo's came in... Just need my SSS to show up...
Please take videos. I am very interested to see how the plane handles with 5A (4S) LiPo's. I use 3A or 2.3A LiPo's (3S) and the plane handles very well. I am hoping that you experience solid performance. I would like my plane to handle a bit better in strong (15-25mph) winds. Let us know what you think. TIA.
Are you going to use the stock motor & ESC?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:17 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
Another teaser from BH; the SS V5.

Flaps, removable plastic engine cowling, reinforced nose, hinges, clear cockpit cover.....
Of course... naturally right after I buy the SSS they gotta come out with a smaller one. Looks awesome.

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:28 AM
UAV Guy
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
Its the same as the Bixler 2.4m

Quote:
Another teaser from BH; the SS V5.

http://youtu.be/OZI3JvVhJiE

Flaps, removable plastic engine cowling, reinforced nose, hinges, clear cockpit cover.....
UAVJOE is offline Find More Posts by UAVJOE
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:35 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2011
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
You newbies seem to overlook that or feel that it doesn't apply to you.
Your "Personal Attack" post has been reported. Post counts do not indicate skill level, or how new someone is to RC.
fallingdown is offline Find More Posts by fallingdown
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:01 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Please take videos. I am very interested to see how the plane handles with 5A (4S) LiPo's. I use 3A or 2.3A LiPo's (3S) and the plane handles very well. I am hoping that you experience solid performance. I would like my plane to handle a bit better in strong (15-25mph) winds. Let us know what you think. TIA.
Are you going to use the stock motor & ESC?
AJ
I'm using a turnigy trust 45a ESC... It flew great with my last SSS on 5300mah 4S

I flew in 15-20 mph no problem...

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:08 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
I'm using a turnigy trust 45a ESC... It flew great with my last SSS on 5300mah 4S

I flew in 15-20 mph no problem...

Chris
I haven't done much wind flying with mine, but have never had a problem making it go where I wanted. I'm presently using a 5s 4000mAh GensAce LiPo. Not with the stock motor, obviously. And using a Hobbywing 100A ESC. The ESC is probably overkill, but it never hurts to have more capacity than you need.

I just ordered a 5800mAh 5s LiPo from Hobby King's USA Warehouse, hopefully it will be here next week. Then I can move the external ESC from the nose (where it looks strange) back under the motor where it belongs, and get some more flying time per charge to boot, while still balancing the plane properly.

Q: What's the only thing that never stops working on a Super Sky Surfer?
A: The owner.

P.S. See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post23131125 for pictures of strange nose-mounted exernal ESC, etc.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Jan 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:11 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,917 Posts
Do you have any pics of the battery installation in your plane Acorn?? Also did you beed up an ARF build or start from a kit with your build??

Thanks!
Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:26 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
SBEC application

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I just ordered a 5800mAh 5s LiPo from Hobby King's USA Warehouse, hopefully it will be here next week. Then I can move the external ESC from the nose (where it looks strange) back under the motor where it belongs, ........
Do you mean inside or outside the fuselage when you wrote for "where it belongs"? IIRC, you use an external (outside the fuselage) SBEC? I use them (only for inside the fuselage applications) and everything runs much, much cooler. (edit: Your post 1430 earlier shows that you are very clear on that). Have you mounted one inside the fuselage yet? If so, what did you think of that application of an SBEC?
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 18, 2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: add edited comment
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:17 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,137 Posts
Just opened mine up... looks awesome! I was wondering though, has anyone tried "streamlining" the prop area with a spinner? I had one laying around a temporarily put in on to take a picture. I haven't seen anyone else do this and am curious if there was a reason? I think it looks good but maybe thats just me.

Oh and I was very impressed that the SSS came "clean" without all the stickers slapped on! Most companies don't give you a choice of the matter and peeling them off (if you want to) can be quite a chore. This way the SSS can be customized easily strait out of the box!

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Last edited by EricClark; Jan 18, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:56 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
That looks great! Nice and clean.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:32 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
How to build an SSS

[QUOTE=fallingdown;23851874]
When you get a few thousand posts, let me know what you think then. Every person (without exception) that a lot of posts has been a great resource to learn about the SSS and other planes. The newbies are here to learn and that is certainly appropriate.
Did anyone "fall down" on this one?
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:58 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Look what I found over on Cafepress
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:28 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
Just opened mine up... looks awesome! I was wondering though, has anyone tried "streamlining" the prop area with a spinner? I had one laying around a temporarily put in on to take a picture. I haven't seen anyone else do this and am curious if there was a reason? I think it looks good but maybe thats just me.

Oh and I was very impressed that the SSS came "clean" without all the stickers slapped on! Most companies don't give you a choice of the matter and peeling them off (if you want to) can be quite a chore. This way the SSS can be customized easily strait out of the box!

Eric
Wow, that looks VERY nice!

I didn't use such a spinner on mine, because I wanted to be sure that any cooling air coming in the above-wing scoop and going thru the motor, could easily get out the back.

Your mileage may vary....
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Jan 18, 2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:36 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Look what I found over on Cafepress
Bonus question....what version?
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:06 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Bonus question....what version?
Darned if I know, but they had it in two colors; SS and Bixler.
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk