HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:43 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoGolf View Post
Actually it was posted in a public "forum" which makes it anyone's business. The forum exists for public discussion. Had you typed it in a private message you might have some traction with this otherwise highly irrational line of reasoning.

The fact is kaptondave nailed it. I am far too busy, and too lazy honestly, to go back and find your words, so thanks KaptonDave. You clearly contradict yourself and thereby lose vast amounts of credibility fast!

I enjoy reading what others have to say about their experience with the SSS, including you; however, you are mucking up this otherwise great thread with your nonsense.

I would also note that forum etiquette dictates you remain on topic which you have not, I would kindly request that you take your off topic discussion and create another thread for it where you and the other members can enjoy discussing it there.

Best Regards,

BG

Link to etymology of the word "forum"
Do you include your off-topic participation, too? Some newbies seem to overlook that or feel that it doesn't apply to them. That is what PM's are for. I always take issue when I am quoted with something I never typed and/or personal attacks.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 19, 2013 at 01:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:56 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukie View Post
HI guys, just a question whats the biggest prop can the SSS accommodate? irregardless as to whats the capability of the stock motor.
Mine came stock with the 8" diameter propeller that I think they all come with. It had a little more than 1/2" clearance between the prop tips and the fuselage. I found that a 9" diameter prop would also fit, and got in a few flights with one on the stock motor. It had maybe 1/8" clearance, the bare minimum I'd say.

Later I put in a larger, more powerful motor, intending to use a 9" diameter prop. This motor was also longer than the stock motor, and since the motor is angled up and back, moving the prop back also had the effect of raising it up, and I found I could use a 10" diameter prop with it! A pleasant surprise.

But with the stock motor, on mine at least, 9" diameter was the biggest I could fit.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:59 AM View Post
BravoGolf
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while BravoGolf edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:04 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Enjoy .....

Personal attacks are always wrong. Your post has been reported .
Try running your own thread. I did/do. Run the numbers on THIS thread which I started. At 1175 pages, it clearly shows that it is also the most popular thread on RCG.
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:08 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Mine came stock with the 8" diameter propeller that I think they all come with. It had a little more than 1/2" clearance between the prop tips and the fuselage. I found that a 9" diameter prop would also fit, and got in a few flights with one on the stock motor. It had maybe 1/8" clearance, the bare minimum I'd say.

Later I put in a larger, more powerful motor, intending to use a 9" diameter prop. This motor was also longer than the stock motor, and since the motor is angled up and back, moving the prop back also had the effect of raising it up, and I found I could use a 10" diameter prop with it! A pleasant surprise.

But with the stock motor, on mine at least, 9" diameter was the biggest I could fit.
Perhaps it depends on where the factory mounts the motor. Take a look at the pictures below. That is a stock motor in the stock position with a TGS 9x6 prop. I can easily use a 9.5x?? prop. So, IDK why there is such a difference.
AJ
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:10 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukie View Post
Hmmm im not sure I understand you question. What I meant was the range of I understand stock it uses 8" right? I was wondering if the space between the motor and the fuselage can accomodate 10" or even 11" I got kinda confused since by looking at the picture it seems that it cannot accommodate anything bigger than 9" but in this review it says he used 13"

http://z8rc.com/2012/11/blitzrcworks...flight-review/
13" is obviously a typo or dumb-error, since he listed it under "Manufacturer specs". Anyone who has an SSS knows it cannot possibly mount a 13" prop, and Banana Hobby has never enclosed any prop other than those (often mis-formed) 8" props.

I found it possible to fit a 9" prop on the stock motor on mine, and barely clear the fuselage, but that looked like the absolute max to me, for the stock motor. Don't know if this varies from plane to plane, but it probably won't vary much.
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Jan 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:16 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Perhaps it depends on where the factory mounts the motor. Take a look at the pictures below. That is a stock motor in the stock position with a TGS 9x6 prop. I can easily use a 9.5x?? prop. So, IDK why there is such a difference.
AJ
Yup. Banana Hobby quality control has always been rather loose in my experience, to put it kindly. I had 1/8" clearance on a 9" prop on mine, but it wouldn't surprise me if the next one off the assembly line had 1/2" clearance or more on a 9" prop, and the one after that couldn't mount a 9" prop at all.

They seem to build them so at least the stock 8" prop will work. Beyond that, all bets are off.

That's why I'm always careful to tell people what worked or didn't work on MY plane, but never try to tell them what will work on theirs. One plane can be very different from the next, even when they're off the same assembly line. True also for supposedly "identical" motors, propellers, electronics etc.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:17 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
13" is obviously a typo or dumb-error, since he listed it under "Manufacturer specs". Anyone who has an SSS knows it cannot possible mount a 13" prop, and Banana Hobby has never enclosed any prop other than those (often mis-formed) 8" props.

I found it possible to fit a 9" prop on the stock motor on mine, and barely clear the fuselage, but that looked like the absolute max to me, for the stock motor. Don't know if this varies from plane to plane, but it probably won't vary much.
Their specs are certainly laughable. BTW- I credit you with finding the off center on the props that are sent with the plane - Nice find. If anyone still has the stock prop, I suggest that you toss it (if it is off-center). Just for giggles, I tried to balance my stock prop. That was a waste of time. I could never get rid of the vibration. It was approximately 1/8" off center.
AJ
P.S. Does the link (from rukie) in your post #2466 work?
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: add question
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:37 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
P.S. Does the link (from rukie) in your post #2466 work?
It did for me.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:33 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Enjoy your fantasy world JA, you are clearly delusional. You have got to be one of the biggest hypocrites I've ever seen on the boards. Quite foolish really.

Indeed.

Edit: Unbelievable. We live in a world where people can't take criticism.

Now, back to SSS discussions....

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Last edited by EricClark; Jan 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:57 PM
United States, CA, Rio Vista
Joined Feb 2012
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
Indeed.
Now, back to SSS discussions....

Eric
At last...thanks
OldDmbThms is offline Find More Posts by OldDmbThms
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:19 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Yay! My 5000mah 4S lipo's came in... Just need my SSS to show up...
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:56 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Another teaser from BH; the SS V5.

Sky Surfer V5 Teaser! You Ready?? In HD! (1 min 26 sec)

Flaps, removable plastic engine cowling, reinforced nose, hinges, clear cockpit cover.....
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:22 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
Indeed.

He had to retract

Eric
Your apology is too little too late. That pretty much covers it.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 19, 2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:23 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDmbThms View Post
At last...thanks
I hope he keeps to his statement. We shall see.
AJ