SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:03 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
Well I finally bit the bullet and ordered the kit (couldn't beat the free shipping). I'll have to reread all the threads about what mods to do. I've put off buying this for a while (need to thin out the fleet) but whatever. Should be an easy build, as I've built 4 of the smaller Sky Surfers already.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:33 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Well I finally bit the bullet and ordered the kit (couldn't beat the free shipping). I'll have to reread all the threads about what mods to do.
Hey, it's only 2,400 posts. Should take you what, an hour or so? Time well spent!

You might start with the SSS Info/FAQ page, at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22886340

Scroll down to Post #831, there's a list of common mods a lot of people have made. The first few actually affect safety and flightworthiness, and many people here have recommended them.

The sky's the limit!
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:34 AM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
You were very, very lucky. I did that once (45A through a 30A Phoenix HV 30). The result was a plane that literally caught fire in the air. It was a total loss - About $200 to replace everything. Check out the pics below.
AJ
P.S. I sent the ESC in and Castle replaced it because the automatic temp shutoff failed (obviously). But, I had to fight with them pretty hard to get that. They wanted me to pay half the cost for an ESC that was only 1 month old. To this day, I will never use a CC ESC for anything.
Apparently I'm missing something.

You say you will never again use a CC ESC for anything because you're upset that an ESC rated for 30A caught fire when you continually pulled 45A through it!!?

Do you expect that a companies product should be able to withstand any kind of abuse you dish out and not damage your plane?

This does not seem like a good reason to stop using CC products.

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:46 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
You say you will never again use a CC ESC for anything because you're upset that an ESC rated for 30A caught fire when you continually pulled 45A through it!!?

Do you expect that a companies product should be able to withstand any kind of abuse you dish out and not damage your plane?

This does not seem like a good reason to stop using CC products.

Eric
I vote with Eric on this one.

It's like taking an empty 12 oz can of beer back to the store and asking for a refund because it wasn't a tall boy.

--Jason
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:00 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong911 View Post
I vote with Eric on this one.

It's like taking an empty 12 oz can of beer back to the store and asking for a refund because it wasn't a tall boy.

--Jason
On the reverse side... I sent my logs from overamping the turnigy to hobbyking... They were impressed that it held its own and sent me the right size ESC for free

Oversized elcheapo Motor - $4
Turnigy AE20 - $9

Recording the details to show i need a larger ESC = Priceless (+$20 )

New SSS is on the way! Going to start this one off with reinforcements rather than letting it fall apart like the first

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:07 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Well I finally bit the bullet and ordered the kit (couldn't beat the free shipping). I'll have to reread all the threads about what mods to do. I've put off buying this for a while (need to thin out the fleet) but whatever. Should be an easy build, as I've built 4 of the smaller Sky Surfers already.
Glad you didn't have to bite a big one Where'd you find the free shipping?
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:20 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
I just bought mine the other night from Banana Hobby and they have free shipping for all orders over $50 right now.

$139.90 + free shipping. Awesome.

I've always liked my dad's Easy Star (in concept) but I could never buy one because I have a personal rule about never buying or flying anything with less than 4 channels... so when I stumbled across this SSS.... well, I had to get one!! Not only does it have ailerons but flaps!? Sold.

Eric
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:50 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
I just bought mine the other night from Banana Hobby and they have free shipping for all orders over $50 right now.

$139.90 + free shipping. Awesome.

I've always liked my dad's Easy Star (in concept) but I could never buy one because I have a personal rule about never buying or flying anything with less than 4 channels... so when I stumbled across this SSS.... well, I had to get one!! Not only does it have ailerons but flaps!? Sold.

Eric
The Easy Star II is 4-channel now. FYI
builderdude is online now Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:15 PM
Subsurface flying expert
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
And a beautiful flyer. It was my first plane and even after much abuse is still great plane.
FlyingGolem is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:56 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,954 Posts
Yes I agree. It really is a beautiful flyer.
builderdude is online now Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:12 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
Nice! Did not know that.

The size of this beast and the added flaps made me look no further, lol.

Eric
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:44 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
the skysurfer v5 has flaps now as well... we just need them to throw flaps on the mini and you could ahve three different size aircraft with the same configurations
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:07 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Iv started building a little board for my power distribution and think im going to go with three separate 3A BEC's...

1 for flap/Rud (6v)
1 for Ail/ELE (6v)
1 for RX/OSD (5.5v)

But... I may use the Turnigy Trust BEC for either flaps/rud or Rx/OSD the main power requirements are the Aileron and Elevator. The highest draw system will probably be both flaps down, thats why ill keep those two seperate.

Chris
Just be aware: you are adding failure points. In principle, put each aileron on a different power circuit, since you can fly with one aileron. (They could still use a common RX channel.) I don't see other ways to diversify risk: failing flaps is not a problem.
I do like having two different voltages available.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
Just be aware: you are adding failure points. In principle, put each aileron on a different power circuit, since you can fly with one aileron. (They could still use a common RX channel.) I don't see other ways to diversify risk: failing flaps is not a problem.
I do like having two different voltages available.
I have mixed flaprons... If my Ailerons fail i still have roll control with that...

My last one ran fine off the internal 3A Sbec of the Turnigy Trust ESC so ill probably just break out the Flaps to their own BEC.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:31 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
I have mixed flaprons... If my Ailerons fail i still have roll control with that...

My last one ran fine off the internal 3A Sbec of the Turnigy Trust ESC so ill probably just break out the Flaps to their own BEC.

Chris
Perfect.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor