HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:13 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Summary of different ESC brands

I once asked about comparing different ESCs, and got some very informed responses. As of about 2 years ago, the excellent and inexpensive brand was Hobbywing, which is sold under numerous brand names. Above 60 amps, other brands may be worth the price premium.
If anyone has newer comparison information, I hope they will add it to that thread. Thanks.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1363323
Quote:
The Hobbywing Pentium is a great speed controller line and is also found under the following names that are rebranded (just naming a few of them):

Turnigy Plush
Turnigy Sentilon (larger esc's in the 100amp and up range)
Exceed Volcano (now known as the Proton)
FlightPower Flight Tech
Dualsky
Thunderpower Higrade.
RobotBird (UK company/reseller)
EMAX
OEMRC
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:35 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Battery Backup has no relation to BEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp125racer View Post
Just a question but why not bypass a BEC altogether and go with something like a batshare??
That device has nothing to do with what a BEC does. It is sort of a backup battery system. A separate BEC protects the ESC from overloading (loose explanation). Extra batteries does nothing to circumvent that problem. Having a battery backup system is a good idea if you can afford all the extra weight. Personally, I have not had a battery or connection failure for 4+ years (since I went to XT 60 connectors and got rid of Dean's). So, I really have no use for one. The weight premium is a deal breaker for me.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 14, 2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:32 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
That device has nothing to do with what a BEC does. It is sort of a backup battery system. A separate BEC protects the ESC from overloading (loose explanation). Extra batteries does nothing to circumvent that problem. Having a battery backup system is a good idea if you can afford all the extra weight. Personally, I have not had a battery or connection failure for 4+ years (since I went to XT 60 connectors and got rid of Dean's). So, I really have no use for one. The weight premium is a deal breaker for me.
AJ
what is the problem with deans ? i know there are copies of the deans and the real ones, i use deans on everything,and if they have a problem,id like to know so i can start switching everything before i have the problem. thanks.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:21 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
what is the problem with deans ? i know there are copies of the deans and the real ones, i use deans on everything,and if they have a problem,id like to know so i can start switching everything before i have the problem. thanks.
Thanks for asking. That is a good question. If you fly in a dusty environment, the Dean's plugs will eventually get dust/dirt inside the contacts and hold them out from making connection. I crashed two planes because of them and I switched to XT-60's. I have not had a problem is the last 4+ years. However, if you are not having any problems with them, I suggest that you follow the time tested rule -> "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.".
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:34 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,917 Posts
AJ,

It is not for dual flight packs, it is for dual RX packs. This allows you to use two receiver batteries to power your servos and receiver but essentially isolates their load from the ESC/BEC. This type of configuration (not powering your servos/RX off the flight pack) is the same type of configuration I'd expect to see employed on larger aircraft where more servos (or servos with higher amperage draws) are required. Myself, I figure isolating the 6 servos from the flight pack is just a good idea even though in most conditions the overall amp draw should be pretty low amongst them

Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:02 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp125racer View Post
AJ,

It is not for dual flight packs, it is for dual RX packs. This allows you to use two receiver batteries to power your servos and receiver but essentially isolates their load from the ESC/BEC. This type of configuration (not powering your servos/RX off the flight pack) is the same type of configuration I'd expect to see employed on larger aircraft where more servos (or servos with higher amperage draws) are required. Myself, I figure isolating the 6 servos from the flight pack is just a good idea even though in most conditions the overall amp draw should be pretty low amongst them

Don
+1
I run a seperate Rx batt on pretty much any bird over 1400mm, if anything fails on the power train (motor/flight lipo/esc) I can make a controlled dead stick landing.
Cheap insurance for the small battery weight penalty, it means I dont lose the plane.
smaller than 1400 I run a ubec where possible
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:47 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Iv started building a little board for my power distribution and think im going to go with three separate 3A BEC's...

1 for flap/Rud (6v)
1 for Ail/ELE (6v)
1 for RX/OSD (5.5v)

But... I may use the Turnigy Trust BEC for either flaps/rud or Rx/OSD the main power requirements are the Aileron and Elevator. The highest draw system will probably be both flaps down, thats why ill keep those two seperate.

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:50 PM
dannylooper
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
OK HERE WE GO

Just built my SSS

I CHANGED THE WING TUBE TO THE CARBON FIBER ONE BOUT $30 BUCKS AND CHANGED THE ESC TO HOBBY KING 60 AMP FOR $20 BUCKS,ALSO REINFORCED THE PUCHRODS IN THE REAR WITH TAPE SEEMS TO WORK JUST FINE AND I CHANGED MY CLEVIS THINGS TO DUBRO AND PUT FUEL TUBING ON MY FLAPS AND AILERONS
and IM USING 4500mah 3 cell nano tech EVERYTHING ELSE BONE STOCK EXCEPT STRIPES I PAINTED ON BOTTOM OF WING

SHE FLYS GOOD SHES A FLOATER AND ALSO AS IN OTHER POST I READ WHEN IN DIVES AND FAST DOWNWIND FLIGHT THE AILERONS DON't HAVE MUCH AUTHORITY THAT SEEMS TO BE THE SAME IN MY CASE AND I HAVE 1 INCH THROW, I THINK MAYBE ITS CAUSE THAT BIG WING AND FOAM I FLEW FOR 20 mins IN 15MPH wind SO THE MAIDEN WENT GREAT NOW TIME TO PUT ON MY CAMERA AND HOPEFULLY GET A VIDEO UP IN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO

KEEP UP ALL THE GOOD WORK ON THE FORUM GUYS I KNOW I REALLY APPRECIATE IT
flybydanny is offline Find More Posts by flybydanny
Last edited by flybydanny; Jan 14, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:53 PM
dannylooper
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Oh yeah throw that prop that it comes with both of them in the trash, IM USING APC 8x6 for now
I put it on my balancer it was right on luckily
flybydanny is offline Find More Posts by flybydanny
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
ya... that APC 8x6 is money...

I threw the stock prop on a balancer and my buddy fell over laughing... when i let go it looked like there was a lead weight on one end... spun fast and stopped. so i very lightly sanded off and it did the same thing to the other end? Looked at the prop and they were not even inline and the hole want centered

So I took the stock props and threw them on my "auto balancer" A 1HP bench grinder with the wheel removed... I almost got the blades to touch eachother before the whole thing blew apart :P

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:51 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,032 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bench grinder blowing apart, did you have an ESC on it?
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:24 PM
Joined Nov 2006
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
+1
I run a seperate Rx batt on pretty much any bird over 1400mm, if anything fails on the power train (motor/flight lipo/esc) I can make a controlled dead stick landing.
Cheap insurance for the small battery weight penalty, it means I dont lose the plane.
smaller than 1400 I run a ubec where possible
Forgive me but do you just plug both batteries into the same reciever? Or do you have 2 recievers one with power and one with servos?

I picked up a skysurfer at the AMA convention this weekend and I am planning on building it this weekend with my boy.

Thanks for all the tips...I plan to swap the speedcontroller for a 60a, put on an 8x6 prop and add a 5000mah battery on 4s.

The only thing im not sure about at this point is the 2nd BEC or battery config...dont understand what to do.

cheers!
tbogey is offline Find More Posts by tbogey
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Sorry to hear about your bench grinder blowing apart, did you have an ESC on it?
ha... the prop+adapter blew apart... the grinder is fine
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:34 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,917 Posts
Using the batshare (or similar device) allows a bit more protection then running just two RX packs into a single receiver (dead cell, shorts, etc.). I have seen folks using Spektrum setups run an rx pack into the battery port of their receiver and also another pack into an open channel.

The attached photo should summarize nicely.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbogey View Post
Forgive me but do you just plug both batteries into the same reciever? Or do you have 2 recievers one with power and one with servos?

I picked up a skysurfer at the AMA convention this weekend and I am planning on building it this weekend with my boy.

Thanks for all the tips...I plan to swap the speedcontroller for a 60a, put on an 8x6 prop and add a 5000mah battery on 4s.

The only thing im not sure about at this point is the 2nd BEC or battery config...dont understand what to do.

cheers!
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
So if you want redundancy you could go with this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Not sure how its reputation is but looks like it has potential.

Chris
RCG Plus Member