SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:26 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I just gave you one - and it only costs $26.
Yes you did Thanks.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:39 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...ef=MD2510-1300

And he has the best warranty in the world.

Most of you will freak at the price though but its well worth the $

I also have one of his 2505 2800kv motors that I run at about 400 watts and it weighs in at a whopping 29 grams.
That motor is not going to work very well with this plane. It's rated for 28A, exactly like the supplied motor, and it's maximum thrust is about 48 oz. I measured almost 47 with the stock setup. The only advantage would be it's lighter weight. You need a lower kv motor to swing a larger 9 in prop efficiently and generate lots of thrust.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:44 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
someone earlier mentioned the "elephant" in the room, namely that this won't be a sporty plane. Was anyone really expecting it to be sporty at 95 inches in wing length?
I'll be happy if it gets up and stays up. Low expectations perhaps.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:57 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
someone earlier mentioned the "elephant" in the room, namely that this won't be a sporty plane. Was anyone really expecting it to be sporty at 95 inches in wing length?
I'll be happy if it gets up and stays up. Low expectations perhaps.
amen brother !!

i have only a few expectations of this plane-
I want to haul two gopros and 2 hk cams aloft and be nice and steady- I wont do any rolls- i wont do any loops- i wont fly inverted-
if i want to do that stuff i will fly my P-51 mustangs or other fast sporty planes

I just want enough power to turn this 8 ft monster into a spec in the sky and then read my eagle tree altimeter when it comes down...

I am confident Eckace and I will get the power set up to give me enough climb to get to my target of 3000ft.. It ought to be easy to see at that altitude as I have had a radian to 2600ft
If i have to spend another $100 to get it the way I want it- no problem- just work another 4 hours that week-lol

We will post the video of the maiden and the altitude attempt- I can't believe one of you guys that has one flying isn't sticking a cam on there and sharing with us,,,,shame !!!-
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:59 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
Yeah, I made the elephant in the room analogy. Nobody seemed to want to admit that the plane is very low on power. Some would even call it UNDERPOWERED! Oh no, now I've said it.

But Banana says "if you're a Sunday sport flyer or an avid FPV enthusiast, this Surfer hits all the right spots." They also talk about the "heavy duty control surface horns". Nothing could possibly be further from the truth - for both statments.

I feel, porcia83, that your low expectations will be fully met as I've successfully gotten it up and it stayed up - three times now!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:18 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
My thinking is the stock motor might be able to handle the 4s setup but testing will determin that.
Testing won't really determine much. I"m sure it will initially work ok. Question is how long?

I run my Dynam Meteor EDF, designed for 4s, on 5s and get about 20 flights or so on it before it burns up the motor. But it's over 100mph ... for a while.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:21 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Does one hand launch this or fly it off the ground?
same thing has been going through my mind... has anyone hand launched this giant? or is ROG the only safe way? I hope not...

a curiousity question: could cg/porpoising/yawing/coupling tendancies be minimized by lengthening the tail boom & nose proportionately?
not sure i'd want to go that far lol, but i am curious

thanks for the tip on the 1000kv 550 watt upgrade, i'll see what i have lying around, prob swap out the motor/esc during the build... mine must be arriving soon, tracking says it was in the country 2 days ago, no doubt will greet me on Monday
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:23 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Testing won't really determine much. I"m sure it will initially work ok. Question is how long?

I run my Dynam Meteor EDF, designed for 4s, on 5s and get about 20 flights or so on it before it burns up the motor. But it's over 100mph ... for a while.
motors are cheap- i will run it gladly on 4s for 20 flights
20 flights ins like 2 months of flight for me- by the time i fly all my models twice i am out for hours- and i only have sunday to fly
if i burn out a motor per month-hell thats way cheaper than driving my truck
but i will get the right motor and battery combo to make this thing a speck in the sky...I vow it...
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:27 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,840 Posts
[QUOTE=dbc;22532263]That motor is not going to work very well with this plane. It's rated for 28A, exactly like the supplied motor, and it's maximum thrust is about 48 oz. I measured almost 47 with the stock setup. The only advantage would be it's lighter weight. You need a lower kv motor to swing a larger 9 in prop efficiently and generate lots of thrust.[/QUOTE

I wouldnt be running it at 28A more like 40 plus as I know these motors will handle it.
My little 2505 29 gram motor runs in excees of 28amps all day long and some push it to 600 watts silly I know.

Your Headsup motor looks good also but why not try the stock motor and see what she will do.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:40 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I made the elephant in the room analogy. Nobody seemed to want to admit that the plane is very low on power. Some would even call it UNDERPOWERED! Oh no, now I've said it.

But Banana says "if you're a Sunday sport flyer or an avid FPV enthusiast, this Surfer hits all the right spots." They also talk about the "heavy duty control surface horns". Nothing could possibly be further from the truth - for both statments.

I feel, porcia83, that your low expectations will be fully met as I've successfully gotten it up and it stayed up - three times now!
In a row? Congrats...ah to be young again!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:51 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
[QUOTE=eckace1;22532714][QUOTE=dbc;22532263

Your Headsup motor looks good also but why not try the stock motor and see what she will do.[/QUOTE]

Sure, give it a try. If it burns up at least your in a glider and not a EDF jet. Much better chance of saving the plane. You might have to prop down a little to keep current draw in check. Might try the APC 8x6 as it drew about 10% less power than the supplied prop. On 4s it could work well.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:08 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Got an APC 8x8e on order, to run on the SSS.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:08 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
In a row? Congrats...ah to be young again!
Ya the good old days.
I'm still ing
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:10 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Got an APC 8x8e on order, to run on the SSS.
We will figure this out at any cost just glad its my friend who has deep pockets
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:14 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
motors are cheap- i will run it gladly on 4s for 20 flights
20 flights ins like 2 months of flight for me- by the time i fly all my models twice i am out for hours- and i only have sunday to fly
if i burn out a motor per month-hell thats way cheaper than driving my truck
but i will get the right motor and battery combo to make this thing a speck in the sky...I vow it...
Let me correct that for ya It's my truck we drive on sunday not yours.
I'm just glad I have 4 wheel drive to handle all that foam in the bead