HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:49 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbogey View Post
thanks for this!!
Don't bother to click on the link to the 9x6 prop on the BEVRC site. It goes to a p.o.r.n site instead. It seems BEVRC's url has been pirated. Does anyone have a phone # for BEVRC? Or an old email from them with contact info? Maybe they don't know yet.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:01 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
My last video was taken and posted on 10-14-12. Here is an updated video. It is way over the suggested 3mins. But, it contains 4 TO's and landings. There is one landing (3rd?) that is pretty funny. No damage. I did edit the video down from 33 mins. Of course, that is just an excuse. The afternoon was fantastic for flying. I went through 5 LiPos before the sun went down. Fun, fun, fun. The SSS is it.
AJ

http://youtu.be/Ok-KttzsONo
That thing flies real nice! What gyro? What surfaces is it on? Where was the CG? What was 'way, way, way too much' at 11:30? It looked like it was trying to spin a couple of times just before landing that time. Thought it was going to get bent there for a bit. Nice recovery.

Quote:

And

For those of you who like thermal riding, Here is approx a 6 minute thermal from engine cut off to landing.

http://youtu.be/WCGjIUWUutw
Beautiful! Thanks for not covering the natural sounds in these videos with some stupid music.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:34 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
That thing flies real nice!
1. What gyro?
2. What surfaces is it on?
3. Where was the CG?
4. What was 'way, way, way too much' at 11:30? It looked like it was trying to spin a couple of times just before landing that time. Thought it was going to get bent there for a bit. Nice recovery.

Gord
1. EK2-0704
2. Pitch axis
3. 205mm (unflyable without a gyro)
4. Up elevator (It was edited out at that point).

AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:04 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
648 Posts
Does anyone here think an Align 70a ESC would be a good fit for the SSS? I've heard good and bad about it, and dont know if it would be better than a Turnigy Plush.

Any thoughts?
guaglione87 is offline Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:58 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
Does anyone here think an Align 70a ESC would be a good fit for the SSS? I've heard good and bad about it, and dont know if it would be better than a Turnigy Plush.

Any thoughts?
FWIW-I have never had a Turnigy (Plush, Sentry, OPTO, Basic) ever fail in 7+ years. I know nothing about Align ESC's. I hope this helps.
AJ
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:44 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
ARF version $120 at AMA Expo

I got the SSS yesterday from the Banana Hobby booth at the AMA Expo. $120 for what they swear is the ARF version = everything but the battery, charger, and RX/TX. I admit I have not opened it yet. They were selling at $120 "cash only" with no tax, which leaves the suspicion that they are playing games with sales tax. But $120 flat is very nice.

I realize I'll probably end up replacing some of the servos. Flap servos I don't care if they fail. And I always use an external BEC except on planes under 1 pound - I went in the water flying my T-28 with the stock linear BEC when I was starting out.

Is there a good summary somewhere on this thread of how to attach the wings? They seemed surprised I wasn't planning to glue the wings. Summary of other mods? Thanks.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:00 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Reegor, how about opening the box... are you afraid for some reason?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:35 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Just started looking into this plane.

For those of you in need of a reliable esc, I would like to suggest the Turnigy AE line - in this case the AE-65a would seem a good size.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hless_ESC.html

You will find it has a switching bec. Despite the spec showing linear, it is clearly marked on the device SBEC, and a number of us who have been flying this line are of the opinion if is indeed switching. Additionally, it presents an impressive list of programmables, including 8 timing settings, and programmable 5v/6v bec output.

I find it easily programmed using tx; but, despite some of the reviews, I believe it is programmable using the Hobbywing Platinum card.

Please check out the ratings reviews and you will find many satisfied users. You may want to look into the AE45a, since it has been the mainstay of the line for quite a long time, and has the most reviews.

I'm likely going to get this big Sky Surfer, but I just want to look into it a little further. That, plus I have not had great experiences in dealing with BH in the past; so, I still a bit hesitant.

In the meantime, I hope some of you find this helpful.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:29 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,866 Posts
sgomes...

Be careful with those AE esc's...
I have the 20A version and ran it at 45A for about 3 min (not knowing what power I was actually pulling before the flight)... My motor blew but the ESC pushed on still use it today!

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:35 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Sounds like a testamonial to me!!

Tks.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:14 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
sgomes...

Be careful with those AE esc's...
I have the 20A version and ran it at 45A for about 3 min (not knowing what power I was actually pulling before the flight)... My motor blew but the ESC pushed on still use it today!

Chris
You were very, very lucky. I did that once (45A through a 30A Phoenix HV 30). The result was a plane that literally caught fire in the air. It was a total loss - About $200 to replace everything. Check out the pics below.
AJ
P.S. I sent the ESC in and Castle replaced it because the automatic temp shutoff failed (obviously). But, I had to fight with them pretty hard to get that. They wanted me to pay half the cost for an ESC that was only 1 month old. To this day, I will never use a CC ESC for anything.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:20 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
648 Posts
Wow, caught on fire!

I dont have a watt meter. I suppose it would be prudent to get the plan up in the air a minute, bring it down and check the temp of the motor and esc looking at those photos.

The align 70a esc looks and feels pretty solid, and the programming had an option for planes, so I am hoping for a good result. I know some people hold the belief that heli components are more bullet prof than plane components due to the beatings that they take...

We shall see...
guaglione87 is offline Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:24 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
Using a 50 amp hobby king esc with 4 amp built in bec, zero problems and flying the sss for months.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:48 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
BAsic tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
Wow, caught on fire!

I dont have a watt meter. I suppose it would be prudent to get the plan up in the air a minute, bring it down and check the temp of the motor and esc looking at those photos.

The align 70a esc looks and feels pretty solid, and the programming had an option for planes, so I am hoping for a good result. I know some people hold the belief that heli components are more bullet prof than plane components due to the beatings that they take...

We shall see...
YES! It would be very prudent to get one if you are going to stay in the hobby.
I have two of them. It is as necessary as a screwdriver in your toolbox. I got mine toasted because I was too lazy to check the amp draw. Being lazy and careless cost me a lot of $$$. Now, if I change a prop (even to a smaller one), I ALWAYS check the amp draw now. HERE is one of the ones that I use. I have a WattsUp, too. The Turnigy is the same thing only it has a backlight and a higher amp limit (130A). And, it is cheaper, too - $24 vs $50 for the WattsUp. Get one NOW. That is an order.
AJ
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:03 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,914 Posts
Just a question but why not bypass a BEC altogether and go with something like a batshare??
https://www.smart-fly.com/Products/B...e/batshare.htm
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100