HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:05 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BldrFlyr View Post
Both of these methods are better than fiberglass.
that's a bit of a blanket statement. Different methods will have their pros and cons depending on what it is you actually are trying to achieve.

I just did a fix on a broken hexacopter arm where using small long strips of resin saturated glass cloth strengthened the original joint (epoxied) and on top of that created a new, very strong structure member.
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:09 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I saw flaps, and what looked like an enclosed motor pod. Not much else.

Anybody have a list of features?
Just saw the teaser on their Facebook page. No other info yet.

Seems like the SS and copies have been sold out everywhere for awhile, so I suspect the Chinese manufacturers are shifting their production a bit. Witness the HK Bixler vs. the Bixler V1.1.

Googling around, I did find a Mini SS that I didn't know about, although its sold out/not available. Cute 'lil thing. Now you can have Poppa Bear, Momma Bear and Baby Bear.

http://www.bananahobby.com/mini-sky-...1806-prd1.html

Here's the page for the SS V4.

http://www.bananahobby.com/sky-surfe...rd1.html#video

Rob
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Last edited by robschonk; Jan 03, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:19 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
i got it here... it's a canadian outfit

http://www.ippnet.com/fibreglass/polyester-resins.html

attached are pics of the side and front of the bottle, + a pic of the catalyst bottle + a pic of chopped strand & glass cloth

Keep in mind i'm using polyester resin, though epoxy is supposedly better, though a touch more expensive.

AussieHoppy has a GREAT intro to fiberglassing here in his blog:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1793688
Watch out for that MEKP. It's classified as an acute hazardous waste in the US. We couldn't transport it on public roads. One of our waste managers packed a bottle in vermiculite, and it leaked and blew the roof off of a shed.

When you're done, mix the MEKP up with the extra resin and let it harden.
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:15 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,961 Posts
Balsa sheeting is an old method for strengthening foam without adding much weight. It is lighter than fiberglass. On your nose, maybe the fiberglass is better. But on the wings, I would have been tempted to use the balsa sheeting method.
builderdude is online now Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:22 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
Balsa sheeting is an old method for strengthening foam without adding much weight. It is lighter than fiberglass. On your nose, maybe the fiberglass is better. But on the wings, I would have been tempted to use the balsa sheeting method.
not a bad idea, i've left the wings alone though, just toughened the shell middle -> front
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:56 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,920 Posts
Anybody have watt / thrust / amp numbers for the stock motor running on 4s and an APC 8x6 prop??

Thanks!
Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:19 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp125racer View Post
Anybody have watt / thrust / amp numbers for the stock motor running on 4s and an APC 8x6 prop??

Thanks!
Don
yup...

Watts: enough
Thrust: plenty
Amps: 35-40 full, 2-4 cruise

I dont have a Watt meter for bench testing... never liked that stuff. I do the "throw and feel"

If it flies it has enough power... If the motor gets hot it needs more

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:37 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSoulsDream View Post
Can you tell me where u got that resin or post a pic of it on here
Your profile says that you live in Florida so I am guessing that there are boat-building industries there, so you should be able to find fiberglass products. I can also buy them at my LHS. I use light fiberglass cloth (0.75 to 1.5 ounce/square yard) and apply it with finishing resin. You don't need to use fiberglass mat, which is heavy and messy to work in small areas, unless you are building structural parts.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:53 AM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Your profile says that you live in Florida so I am guessing that there are boat-building industries there, so you should be able to find fiberglass products. I can also buy them at my LHS. I use light fiberglass cloth (0.75 to 1.5 ounce/square yard) and apply it with finishing resin. You don't need to use fiberglass mat, which is heavy and messy to work in small areas, unless you are building structural parts.
just want to make sure I get the right kind cuz I know most resins will eat the foam. so is it a water based resin?
AsSoulsDream is offline Find More Posts by AsSoulsDream
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:55 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,090 Posts
You can also use 30-60 minute epoxy with fiberglass cloth.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:29 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
Wow why didn't I think of that before? Sometimes I guess I just need to be told. Thank you!
AsSoulsDream is offline Find More Posts by AsSoulsDream
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:31 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,920 Posts
Thanks. How many flights do you have on yours running this setup??

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
yup...

I dont have a Watt meter for bench testing... never liked that stuff. I do the "throw and feel"

Chris
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:50 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Regarding the use of Kevlar, it seems like overkill in the extreme to me. In the event of a crash you might wind up with a perfectly whole bottom shell (or whatever you used it on) but with the rest of the plane disintegrated into popcorn.
And I would think it would take a LOT of CA to fill the cloth. Also, if I read it right, it was something like $31 for approximately a square yard. If correct, that is way more than I want to pay. FG and resin seems quite strong enough on foam planes to me. If the FG breaks it is likely the rest of the plane is blowing away in pieces anyway. But I could see a use for a strip on the bottom of a belly lander that lands on sand, gravel or pavement. It would seem ideal for that!

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:09 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
Those wings have a slightly different shape from the earlier versions. The trailing edge looks straight from the tips to the root where the earlier ones narrowed slightly near the ailerons leaving the tips looking swept back. The new one seems to have a bit more chord. Hard to tell from the video but for whatever reason they look like more the SSS's wings. And it seems to fly beautifully. Maybe it is just that Pete has developed some pretty impressive skills too. Don't think I would be doing rolls that close to the ground.

I think I will have one when they are available.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:35 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
yup...

Chris
Oh man, are you ever going to get flamed for that post...!!!
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn