SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:18 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Yes, I plan on flying this thing pretty hard. This is going to be my 'WindFighter'. I want to build it to fly at least 50mph so I can fly 25mph ground speed in a 25mph wind.

Yes, eventually I am going to drastically change the motor. I'll probably go with a regular direction motor and use a regular prop mounted with the writing towards the front. I know the torque needs compensated for correct tracking. A normal plane needs right thrust. But, I haven't convinced myself that a pusher configuration needs left thrust.
This plane comes from the factory with the motor angled, so that more wind passes to the right of the rudder, than to the left. If the motor were in the front of the plane, this would be called "left thrust"; and if it were at the very back of the plane, it might be called "right thrust". What do you call it when the motor and prop are in the middle?

I've got a fairly hefty motor in mine (1000W, 850KV, three-blade 10x5 prop). I deliberately left the same motor angles in it, as what the plane originally came with, and it still flies straight and true. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Your mileage may vary. But if I were you, I'd start by putting my (big) motor in with those same angles, try it and see how it flies, and then make adjustments from there.

The original designers seem to have done SOMETHING right, at least for the original power system. That's not a bad place to start, even if you intend to wind up with something very different eventually.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:22 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,954 Posts
Let's see a pic, if you don't mind...
builderdude is online now Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:24 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,881 Posts
I wish someone made a bigger contrarotating motor... That would be awesome! lets say a 1800w contra setup with 9x5x6 props.... sort of a propfan type setup! We could fly forever! The efficiency of that type is amazing when actually moving. and there is no torque roll...

hmmm... maybe the fumes from my rebuild process are getting to me...

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilwein View Post
Hi Chris,

It looks like from your pic, if I put an air scoop up front in the nose it will pass air thru the front nose thru the main compartment and out thru the wheel area.
This will help cool the batteries, ESC, FPV-tele TX along with some other electronics in the front compartment when there are hot days and plug it up when freezing days here.

Thanks,
Tony
works great i did this to mine not a thing of beauty but works.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:32 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
I wish someone made a bigger contrarotating motor... That would be awesome! lets say a 1800w contra setup with 9x5x6 props.... sort of a propfan type setup! We could fly forever! The efficiency of that type is amazing when actually moving. and there is no torque roll...

hmmm... maybe the fumes from my rebuild process are getting to me...

Chris
step away from the glue and take a break...
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BldrFlyr View Post
This is why I recommended more structural support at the front and back of that area. Mine broke while launching and fortunately not up the air like yours.

I used CF rods vertically inside the fuse running from the lower fuse main up to the upper most portion of the wing support/motor case. I then laminated that entire center section of the fuse for support. I'll post some pics.

I'm guilty of having my esc in that portion of the foam (above the wing) and that's the other risk....the esc blows up and your wing and fuse separate. It's a much bigger problem then when the ESC is in the fuse were at least you might be able to save the plane and land it. I've thought about running the esc down in the fuse bay but the wiring runs aren't perfect and very long.
now you freaking me out !! would a lite layer of fiberglass or even a layer of gorilla glue over that area do the job ?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
now you freaking me out !! would a lite layer of fiberglass or even a layer of gorilla glue over that area do the job ?
running fiber tape around the fuselage (from the top of the motor pod around the bottom on both the front and back of the wing) would help. Also running fiber tape across the top of the wing opening.

Once i get to that point ill show some examples...

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
step away from the glue and take a break...
mmm... gorilla glue and 5min epoxy... it will either make you high and glue something you didnt want glued... or glue what you wanted glued correctly and give you a stupid headache later...

I have to figure out why my 6" exhaust vent is not wanting to evacuate these fumes

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:08 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,990 Posts
Quote:
mmm... gorilla glue and 5min epoxy... it will either make you high and glue something you didnt want glued... or glue what you wanted glued correctly and give you a stupid headache later...

I have to figure out why my 6" exhaust vent is not wanting to evacuate these fumes

Chris
Helps to actually turn the fan on lol

I'm still trying to get back to my build, but I was already planning on a couple of light layers of epoxy fibreglass over the wing join area and continue the f'glass over the motor pod and under the fuse fore & aft of the wings, I'm looking at 6ah 4S battery, but figure if I do decide to try 12ah batts there'd be a fair load on the fuse at wing join area. also a quick layer over the control surfaces help to prevent twist.
BTW the hacker isn't a huge motor coz I'm not chasing speed, but along Acorn's direction of enough power for reasonable rate of climb
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:22 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
well i'm 25 hours into my SSS build... couple more days left, after reading most of this thread i wanted to actually do it right. Now I'm not saying it's GOING to fly right, just want to make a good first attempt
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
Helps to actually turn the fan on lol

I'm still trying to get back to my build, but I was already planning on a couple of light layers of epoxy fibreglass over the wing join area and continue the f'glass over the motor pod and under the fuse fore & aft of the wings, I'm looking at 6ah 4S battery, but figure if I do decide to try 12ah batts there'd be a fair load on the fuse at wing join area. also a quick layer over the control surfaces help to prevent twist.
BTW the hacker isn't a huge motor coz I'm not chasing speed, but along Acorn's direction of enough power for reasonable rate of climb
i got a couple of wings that were in a crash for my diamond 2500,i put a layer of gorilla glue over an area that the foam was mushy on one wing,then sanded it looks fine and no more mushy spot
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
running fiber tape around the fuselage (from the top of the motor pod around the bottom on both the front and back of the wing) would help. Also running fiber tape across the top of the wing opening.

Once i get to that point ill show some examples...

Chris
pictures are a good thing, monkey see monkey do lol.. On a side note im thinking about getting this little setup . it will even land the plane for you if need be
http://www.fpvflying.com/products/RC...-RTH-unit.html
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:49 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
pictures are a good thing, monkey see monkey do lol.. On a side note im thinking about getting this little setup . it will even land the plane for you if need be
The FY-21 units are great, i've got 5 of them

Just be warned, they're a little touchy about high vibration.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
The FY-21 units are great, i've got 5 of them

Just be warned, they're a little touchy about high vibration.
Sure just freak an old man out and drop it ! LOL what you mean by high vibration ? I have never done any of the auto pilot type stuff.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:17 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Well, $334 is a bit rich for me. I just ordered this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ega_2560_.html (about $48 shipped) and one of these: http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...63&productname (about $37 including a USB to serial device to do initial setup). There is a free firmware called AuduplaneNG that can be loaded into the Crius AIOP and will give all the function mentioned in the $334 product, at least as far as the autopilot and return to home functions go. It does not supply the FPV related function but I will bet that could be added if desired. I don't desire that right now though. I just found out that, in Canada, you can only use .75 mW (honest!) of power on the video downlink unless you have a ham license. Heck, I could almost throw a rock as far as that would go.

BTW, the flight modes of this package should be the same as the original Arduplane/Ardupilot package and can be seen seen here > http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-m...ki/FlightModes

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Last edited by Gordks; Dec 17, 2012 at 10:45 PM.