to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:32 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Well... My SSS met its fate...
And Bananahobby may have a very frustrated customer...

I was cruising at about 20mph, throttle barely cracked, turned home, all was well.
Then... Lost video signal. Took off goggles to see my SSS Fuse lawn darting... The Wings were gracefully floating away in the breeze, and the motor pod was traveling just as fast towards its fate.

I found the Main Fuselage in a pile with battery cells (no not batteries but the individual cells) over 40ft away! The motor and fpv camera was found about 150ft from the main body, and the wings were 1/4 mile away since they floated nicely in the wind.

Well after collecting my gear, I found everything except for my new 1000mw RMRC VTX

The damages:
Main body totaled
Motor Ceased
Main wing 2 broken servos
1 flap missing
1 aileron missing
Control rods toast
KK2.0 flight controller dead
$80 batteries destroyed
FPV camera (unknown but looks good)
VTX missing

The Repairs are commencing but it will be a challenge!

Chris
What the hell???

My extreme sympathies for your loss! Any idea yet what happened?

In the picture, it looks like your wing spars are more or less intact. In fact, do I see ffour of them? Did you have a skinnier spar inside a larger one, both front and rear?

Did the wings depart the fuselage, but stay attached to each other? Or did the wings fold in the middle?

Wow....
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:22 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Well... My SSS met its fate...
And Bananahobby may have a very frustrated customer...

I was cruising at about 20mph, throttle barely cracked, turned home, all was well.
Then... Lost video signal. Took off goggles to see my SSS Fuse lawn darting... The Wings were gracefully floating away in the breeze, and the motor pod was traveling just as fast towards its fate.

I found the Main Fuselage in a pile with battery cells (no not batteries but the individual cells) over 40ft away! The motor and fpv camera was found about 150ft from the main body, and the wings were 1/4 mile away since they floated nicely in the wind.

Well after collecting my gear, I found everything except for my new 1000mw RMRC VTX

The damages:
Main body totaled
Motor Ceased
Main wing 2 broken servos
1 flap missing
1 aileron missing
Control rods toast
KK2.0 flight controller dead
$80 batteries destroyed
FPV camera (unknown but looks good)
VTX missing

Attachment 5375987

The Repairs are commencing but it will be a challenge!

Chris
wow so sorry man !! My wings fit tight but was still paranoid so i did this bolt mod. bolts go down through and into wing with nut glued into wing. have two one for each wing. when you get her all glued back might try it and if need more info just yell
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:26 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
wow so sorry man !! My wings fit tight but was still paranoid so i did this bolt mod. bolts go down through and into wing with nut glued into wing. have two one for each wing. when you get her all glued back might try it and if need more info just yell
thanks was just thinking of how to secure the wings in and i happen to have a lot of extra nylon bolts / nuts
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:28 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Man I'm so, SO, s0 sorry about that Chris! # It seems that everything was going so well...
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:46 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,866 Posts
lol... the wings didnt seperate... they stayed together all the way two blocks down the road...

The actual motor pod came off (the whole section of foam over the wing)

Im rebuilding this section and placing glass fibers from the rear spar to the front battery area. I have the majority of the body rebuilt, and hopefully can piece the nose back together tonight.

Got all the pieces boiled back into the correct shapes so now im just gluing...

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,866 Posts
Ya everything was going Too good...

Just got RTH dialed in...

Just got Autolevel and stabilize working...

Now I have to salvage the DragonOSD (hope its still good)

And the KK2.0 is toast... all pins torn off, the board is cracked, and the display is broke.

Good thing I have all this stuff for my dual camera fpv pod

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:16 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
lol... the wings didnt seperate... they stayed together all the way two blocks down the road...

The actual motor pod came off (the whole section of foam over the wing)

Im rebuilding this section and placing glass fibers from the rear spar to the front battery area. I have the majority of the body rebuilt, and hopefully can piece the nose back together tonight.

Got all the pieces boiled back into the correct shapes so now im just gluing...

Chris
Yow.

I haven't seen it up close of course, but I can't help wondering if there was some sort of crack in the fuselage, just ahead of the wing leading edge, maybe from something else that happened, maybe on a earlier flight, or a storage/transportation bump or something. Sounds like for this flight, the plane wasn't under any particularly high stress, but suddenly the wing mount and/or motor pod let go? Does that jive with what you saw?
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:42 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Craziness, I know I am going to re-enforce that area now!
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:43 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Craziness, I know I am going to re-enforce that area now!
yup, that box full of glass cloth i got is going to be useful now
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Yow.

I haven't seen it up close of course, but I can't help wondering if there was some sort of crack in the fuselage, just ahead of the wing leading edge, maybe from something else that happened, maybe on a earlier flight, or a storage/transportation bump or something. Sounds like for this flight, the plane wasn't under any particularly high stress, but suddenly the wing mount and/or motor pod let go? Does that jive with what you saw?
Yup...
And there were no cracks prior... just flying along and Pop goes the foam over the wing...

oh... The 4th is the tail boom support. So what you can see is one of the wing tubes, the main spar, the little wing spar, and the tail support..

But its coming along...
Figured while i was inside the body ill throw in a CF tube for the rear.. it will cut 18g from the rear of the plane, but im moving the servos back so im not worried.

I have also wrapped Cord from inside paracord around the wing area, then use GG to make it sort of a glassed string. Figured two strands rated at 100lbs each should work, they are tied and GG'd to the rear spar, and will be tied and GG'd to the front spars that will run down each side.

Name: IMG_0018[1].jpg
Views: 157
Size: 259.3 KB
Description:
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:49 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Yup...
And there were no cracks prior... just flying along and Pop goes the foam over the wing...

oh... The 4th is the tail boom support. So what you can see is one of the wing tubes, the main spar, the little wing spar, and the tail support..

But its coming along...
Figured while i was inside the body ill throw in a CF tube for the rear.. it will cut 18g from the rear of the plane, but im moving the servos back so im not worried.

I have also wrapped Cord from inside paracord around the wing area, then use GG to make it sort of a glassed string. Figured two strands rated at 100lbs each should work, they are tied and GG'd to the rear spar, and will be tied and GG'd to the front spars that will run down each side.

Attachment 5376254
Looking good man !! take pictures at each step so youll have a record for others to see
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:54 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Looking good man !! take pictures at each step so youll have a record for others to see
ya, ill did skip quite a few steps... like boiling the foam... but ill take pics of key points...

On a lighter note...
The SSS can reach 80mph with no motor or wing

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:58 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,951 Posts
Quote:
On a lighter note...
The SSS can reach 80mph with no motor or wing

Chris
That's good to know, if i see the OSD showing that i'll know what the problem is
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:10 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Good job Chris! Your resurrection project is coming along quite nicely! You may get your plane up and about before I do. I am taking my time with this baby.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO