SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:03 AM
UAV Guy
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
Sss

I want to make sure that this is clear. I have attached pictures of the plane post crash.
Background:
I am an experienced Aero-modeler and a professional UAS/UAV pilot. I have 22 yrs in R/C and 7 yrs in UAV operations and UAS Safety Analysis. I am also a Commercial Pilot and currently earning my Aerospace Engineering Degree.
I did question the linkage and that is the reason for adding the support at the pushrod exits near the tail surfaces.
Final:
The plane did fly good. I enjoyed the stability and the hauling capability. I am not trying to bad mouth anyone or any company. I'm just trying to put facts out from my experience with the airframe and with past dealings with the distributor.
UAVJOE is offline Find More Posts by UAVJOE
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:09 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVJOE View Post
I want to make sure that this is clear. I have attached pictures of the plane post crash.
Background:
I am an experienced Aero-modeler and a professional UAS/UAV pilot. I have 22 yrs in R/C and 7 yrs in UAV operations and UAS Safety Analysis. I am also a Commercial Pilot and currently earning my Aerospace Engineering Degree.
I did question the linkage and that is the reason for adding the support at the pushrod exits near the tail surfaces.
Final:
The plane did fly good. I enjoyed the stability and the hauling capability. I am not trying to bad mouth anyone or any company. I'm just trying to put facts out from my experience with the airframe and with past dealings with the distributor.
Ouch, i haven't seen a wire bend at the servo like that, since you reinforced the back side there wasn't enough give left to prevent the failure at the front with the thin wire, good lesson for the rest of us.
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
I am not trying to bad mouth anyone or any company. I'm just trying to put facts out from my experience with the airframe and with past dealings with the distributor.
There was no offense taken on my part
Banana Hobby has been questionable in their workings, This plane however, they have been activly modifying to correct issues. Maybe soon we will see the control rods upgraded.

Hopefully your electronics and FPV gear can be salvaged.

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:24 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
KK fully setup and ready to fly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJaQwFBsJds
Fascinating stuff!

chanyote66, I notice that Hobbyking describes the KK2.0 as being designed for multicopters. Do you have to flash it with new firmware to use it in a fixed-wing aircraft like this?
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:24 AM
Subsurface flying expert
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
189 Posts
This issue has me considering the option of placing the servos in the tail instead. CG shouldn't be a problem as I plan on running quite a few components up front.

chanyote66, would it be possible for you to gen up a simple wire diagram of your setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Fascinating stuff!

chanyote66, I notice that Hobbyking describes the KK2.0 as being designed for multicopters. Do you have to flash it with new firmware to use it in a fixed-wing aircraft like this?
No, you don't have to but they are available. Check out the KK2.0 thread for info.
FlyingGolem is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGolem View Post
This issue has me considering the option of placing the servos in the tail instead. CG shouldn't be a problem as I plan on running quite a few components up front.

chanyote66, would it be possible for you to gen up a simple wire diagram of your setup?

No, you don't have to but they are available. Check out the KK2.0 thread for info.
Im working on the wiring diagram now.

Those two links are where I found all of my information for my KK setup. OpenAero is a great firmware and HappySundays is almost done with the final release.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:41 AM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
Unfortunately my Adrupilot 2.0 was destroyed, 8000mAh Battery destroyed, and my GoPro in its protective case was destroyed. The only thing salvaged was my receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
There was no offense taken on my part
Banana Hobby has been questionable in their workings, This plane however, they have been activly modifying to correct issues. Maybe soon we will see the control rods upgraded.

Hopefully your electronics and FPV gear can be salvaged.

Chris
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,837 Posts
That is a good idea. I've done that on a plane of mine. You relocate the servos in the tail and you not only save yourself the very long pushrod lengths, but you also probably tighten up the control accuracy.

In fact, the Bird of Time has the tail servos IN the tail, come to think of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGolem View Post

builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:13 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
This is a common problem on a lot of planes, i lost my first radian for the same reason. Any of us who have gone through this reinforce the wire, replace it, or you can redirect the wire to go over the elevator instead of under, then your up elevator is guaranteed (because you're pulling) instead of down
THis was brought up and a fix way early in the thread , we all replaced the rods with bigger ones,as one lost his plane the same way for the same reason.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Background:
Final:
man i am sorry to see that ! Early in this thread that problem was brought up,they are way to small of rods ! We replace them with bigger rods first thing. That really sucks !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Heres my diagram...
My Ground is tied at the battery for my Flight bat and my FPV battery.

Name: dosd+KK.png
Views: 179
Size: 63.5 KB
Description:
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:00 PM
Subsurface flying expert
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
189 Posts
Thanks for that.
FlyingGolem is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:21 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,927 Posts
Quote:
Background:
Final:
real sorry to hear of the crash... not only is it a serious downer to lose a plane, not to mention all the goodies, but the time dedicated to the build and then the consequent rebuild

no offence but I am a tad surprised that experienced folks would fly with stock servos/pushrods, especially with expensive gear on board
the stock electrics *may* be ok for a while, if flown with the small recommended flight battery and nothing else, purely a lightship LOS bird only

even my bixlers I relocate the servos to the tail using decent quality rod, clevis & horns eg Dubro, and this SSS is getting even more of these upgrades
also things like I mount my horns on the top of the elev so it further minimizes the risk of bendage because the pushrod is pulling for up elev

please guys, this bird is a damned cheap 2400mm powered glider, you cant expect any degree of quality in the electrics for the money, so IMHO if you intend to fly anything other than LOS, therefore add weight, change out servos/pushrods/clevis&horns/esc... it really makes me cringe when another bird is reported broken due to failure, when it can be avoided
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Mar 2012
184 Posts
Looking for opinions. I want to set up a plane for FPV. My goal is to be able to fly for long periods of time and work up to long distance. Can anyone comment on how this plane would compare to the 1900mm Skywalker for this purpose?
Calla969 is offline Find More Posts by Calla969
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
UAV Guy
Joined Feb 2012
257 Posts
No offense taken.
This was my first PNP airplane and was under the impression that the manufacture made some attempt to ensure safety. I will no longer look at purchasing PNP models and just get kits as I am use to.
I do know that other people have had issues with this plane and I just want to educate others to its down falls. The plane is of good basic design and I am just sharing my experiences.

Thanks for the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
real sorry to hear of the crash... not only is it a serious downer to lose a plane, not to mention all the goodies, but the time dedicated to the build and then the consequent rebuild

no offence but I am a tad surprised that experienced folks would fly with stock servos/pushrods, especially with expensive gear on board
the stock electrics *may* be ok for a while, if flown with the small recommended flight battery and nothing else, purely a lightship LOS bird only

even my bixlers I relocate the servos to the tail using decent quality rod, clevis & horns eg Dubro, and this SSS is getting even more of these upgrades
also things like I mount my horns on the top of the elev so it further minimizes the risk of bendage because the pushrod is pulling for up elev

please guys, this bird is a damned cheap 2400mm powered glider, you cant expect any degree of quality in the electrics for the money, so IMHO if you intend to fly anything other than LOS, therefore add weight, change out servos/pushrods/clevis&horns/esc... it really makes me cringe when another bird is reported broken due to failure, when it can be avoided