Subsurface flying expert
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
lol... Wait till I post my CarbonFiber FPV pod with dual cameras

Chris
Oh, you magnificent son of a gun. Pray tell, when will this morsel be released to us savages?
FlyingGolem is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:35 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
837 Posts
You can make any kind of mount or connector you want with InstaMorph. You heat it and mold it with your fingers like playdo and it dries/cools hard.
http://www.instamorph.com/
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:20 AM
Subsurface flying expert
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
184 Posts

Ordered...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Have you tried that on a fuse yet?
Yep. I lam the rear fuse for strength as well. It doesn't work on the bottom front though as it's not the best solution for abrasion resistance.
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:03 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
Ok i'll do this ONE thing, but if i keep listening to the rest of you this plane will never see it's maiden! lol
Most of these things are mods-in-progress. I put eight flights on mine with the solid fiberglass spar before going to the CF tube. Same pattern for the wing retainers, the surface aileron/flap plugs at the wing roots, various propellers, and even major stuff like the 1000W motor and ESC.

I do this cuz I like to fly planes, not work on them. Don't let one get in the way of the other.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGolem View Post
Oh, you magnificent son of a gun. Pray tell, when will this morsel be released to us savages?
I dont have the means of fabrication, but i will release the build plans if it turns out...

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What does the FAA think of FPV?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
837 Posts
Quote:

Ordered...
]

You can make some pretty neat things with that IM stuff. One guy I know makes connectors for bullet connectors so there's no way the polarities can possibly touch.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhas View Post
Stock motor test performed today. Thought some of you guys might be interested. I plan on using the Super Sky Surfer to carry gopros. I was not happy with the weight of the spars so I cut them out of the wing and partially fiberglassed the top and bottom surfaces. I think it will be a nice weight savings. The plane barely fits in my car fully assembled.

Stock motor
8x6 APC Prop
HobbyKing 50 amp ESC
4s 3300 nanotech Lipo
38 amps static
That is interesting.
Do you mind sharing what your finished weight was, after the glassing?
And do you have any photos you could share? (Just so we can see how it turned out, that's all).
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:01 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,691 Posts
KK fully setup and ready to fly!

Super Skysurfer DOSD+KK2.0 (5 min 41 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:27 AM
UAV Guy
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Feb 2012
235 Posts
The plane is nice. I flew it with an Ardupilot 2.0 and it worked great. I wanted
to land on a flight and I expedited the decent by cutting power and nosing down
a bit. I started to arrest my decent and I was unable to. The plane began to
increase its decent rate and I pulled up more with no results. The plane hit the
ground and foam flew everywhere. After closer inspection of the wreckage I found
the culprit. The extremely thin push rod on the elevator bent at the servo arm.
This was a very poor design for this size plane. The pushrod for this plane
should have been a bit thicker just for the size of it.
I am very disappointed in Blitz RC and Banana Hobby in this oversite. This
needs to be replaced in future models. Others on RCG.com have had theirs meet
the same fate. I would like for Banana Hobby to replace my plane but I know that
they don't stand behind there product from previous dealings with them while I
was in Afganistan. Shame on you Banana Hobby. I will make sure that this is
posted on other forums too... I only had this plane for 2-3 weeks with 3
flights. So I would not recommend this product or this company.
UAVJOE is offline Find More Posts by UAVJOE
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,365 Posts
Wow, that's good to know. If I do order this plane in the future, I will make sure to take a close look at the pushrods and replace as I see necessary. I always order my planes as stripped down as possible, and then prefer to add all my own stuff. For one thing, that's cheaper, and for another thing, I can control my own quality.

Mainly what I would be looking for is the quality of the design. How well does it fly. As far as how well it survives a crash, well, with the new types of foam that are out, that is nice that you can have a little bit of a rough landing and toss it back up again. A wooden plane would be going back to the workshop for repair on anything but the perfect landings. (Albiet I do believe that most wooden planes would fly better than a foamie). The main idea here is that you build a plane to fly, not to crash.

Now, if the pushrods that they stuffed into that large plane are too weak, then yes, that's an issue. If you like the plane, you could buy another one and next time stuff it with new pushrods, etc. Perhaps there are parts you can salvage off of the wreckage, like the wings perhaps, and servos, and then only order a new fuselage/tail assembly. That might be a possibility.

When I totalled my AXN Floater jet into a stove pipe sticking up that I didn't see, the wings were salvagable, but it was such an evil-handling airplane that I made the choice to throw the whole thing away after pulling out the electronics of course. Is any part of your Sky Surfer salvageable?
And if you don't want it, can an offer be made on the remains?
I'm sure if the wings are still good, I could come up with an interesting plane around that.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:25 AM
Subsurface flying expert
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
184 Posts
Damn nice video, chanyote66.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:40 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVJOE View Post
This was a very poor design for this size plane. The pushrod for this plane should have been a bit thicker just for the size of it.
This is a common problem on a lot of planes, i lost my first radian for the same reason. Any of us who have gone through this reinforce the wire, replace it, or you can redirect the wire to go over the elevator instead of under, then your up elevator is guaranteed (because you're pulling) instead of down
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
This is a common problem on a lot of planes, i lost my first radian for the same reason. Any of us who have gone through this reinforce the wire, replace it, or you can redirect the wire to go over the elevator instead of under, then your up elevator is guaranteed (because you're pulling) instead of down
good point... Having a Pull down ele is a bad idea!

Use stock Tubes, Double Diameter of Pushrod, Change to Pull Up ELE. now you just have to hope your ELE servo does not fail (but its barely used so it shouldnt.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,691 Posts
Quote:
Damn nice video, chanyote66.
Thanks, Any time someone can save money and get the same results as more expensive setups, I try to share my info.

FY system is about $100 more than the KK, and the only thing you gain is AHI on DOSD

Chris
RCG Plus Member