HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:37 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Has anybody measured how far it is from the motor shaft centerline to the top of the fuse?

I pulled the trigger and ordered a SSS this morning. I hope to have it ready to fly on our Jan 1st New Years Day fun fly. I would normally wait till the plane arrives and measure things myself, but to be ready for Jan 1st I need to get stuff ordered. I want to get a bunch of CF rods ordered to reinforce the fuse, stabs etc.
What's the diameter of the spar tube?
What's the thickness of the horizontal and vertical stab?

Thanks
I really doubt you will need to add any extra re-enforcements unless you really like to beat your planes up hard! I have watched my buddy tip stall his from 10 to 20 feet off the ground about 10 times with direct nose and wing strikes, and it just bounces rofl. (Note, he likes to push the envelope on slowness... and has a bad habbit of bank and yanking hehe, yet to tip stall or crash mine :P)
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:41 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I really doubt you will need to add any extra re-enforcements unless you really like to beat your planes up hard! I have watched my buddy tip stall his from 10 to 20 feet off the ground about 10 times with direct nose and wing strikes, and it just bounces rofl. (Note, he likes to push the envelope on slowness... and has a bad habbit of bank and yanking hehe, yet to tip stall mine :P)
I have been flying mine only bank and yank, but I will not throw it any more than 60deg into a turn unless I use rudder. My record is a 50ft circle with full flaps and some crow to keep me below 10mph. I stopped after two circles because it was starting to stall out.

Mine had a rough takeoff and did split the nose along the seam, but that is mostly due to the terrible glue they use.

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,736 Posts
Since I prefer rudder to aileron on gliders, I'd like to know how this handles with rudder rather than ailerons. Has anyone tried this, or would anybody be willing to try rudder/elevator handling? Be nice to know before buying one; and I am really tempted.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:48 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh View Post
Since I prefer rudder to aileron on gliders, I'd like to know how this handles with rudder rather than ailerons. Has anyone tried this, or would anybody be willing to try rudder/elevator handling? Be nice to know before buying one; and I am really tempted.

howell
Blah just fly it! It flies perfectly easy and fine in normal config...

chanyote66: Only damage I have suffered was one of the axle holders for the wheel came off so I replaced it with some wood for much stronger method of holding it, but that was simply because of their crappy building skills at the factory, because sofar all of my take-offs and landings have been perfect hehe.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
899 Posts
Thanks Chris.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,822 Posts
Quote:

howell
I have flown mine rudder ele only (trying to get use to rudder) but It didnt have the authority I am use to with the ailerons. The rudder is not really that big and is more for just "trim" and maneuver assistance in my opinion. It did not have the power to even turn into 10mph winds, the body had more power than the rudder.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:55 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Did you know Banana Hobby has a "Mini Sky Surfer"?

33" wingspan.

http://www.bananahobby.com/mini-sky-...1806-prd1.html
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,822 Posts
yup... was debating on one of these for a lunch time FPV rig...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:20 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
I have flown mine rudder ele only (trying to get use to rudder) but It didnt have the authority I am use to with the ailerons. The rudder is not really that big and is more for just "trim" and maneuver assistance in my opinion. It did not have the power to even turn into 10mph winds, the body had more power than the rudder.

Chris
really i use rudder to help turn with aileron,to stay level on a turn(video likes level) when trying to turn rudder only still have to use opposite aileron or it will drop to side. she is more of a FPV plane than glider but it will float forever
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
really i use rudder to help turn with aileron,to stay level on a turn(video likes level) when trying to turn rudder only still have to use opposite aileron or it will drop to side. she is more of a FPV plane than glider but it will float forever
I let my Stabilizer keep the plane level video likes acc and gyro stabilized platforms
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:29 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,736 Posts
Thanks, all. I was looking for a larger version of my EasyStar, which I love.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:12 PM
Subsurface flying expert
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
189 Posts
If you love your EZ*, you'll love this plane. Much less prone to being pushed around by the wind but handles just as well.
FlyingGolem is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,487 Posts
Quote:
Since I prefer rudder to aileron on gliders, I'd like to know how this handles with rudder rather than ailerons.
Full scale planes, both powered and gliders, are normally turned with coordinated aileron and rudder, never with rudder alone or by banking and yanking. Thus model has the ability to do that so why fly it right?
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:56 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,951 Posts
didn't we have this rudder fight in another thread?
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:43 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
what size prop comes on this plane?
AsSoulsDream is offline Find More Posts by AsSoulsDream