SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:51 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
lol... I wish... that would be more fun... They are just having me watch a neighborhood but maybe Ill get to do crop hunting, or moonshine hunting (night ops) if thats the case im gonna ask for a thermal cam

Chris
You putting this on a quad or a plane?

Either way, i doubt they could have found someone more capable in the local area
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:11 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
You putting this on a quad or a plane?

Either way, i doubt they could have found someone more capable in the local area
The super skysurfer of course! I wouldnt go OT that much

They saw me sitting in a field on my "night flights" and came to see what I was doing... They were amazed when I told them I was flying an RC plane at 10pm

After landing (Security cars make great landing beacons) I showed them the footage from the flight camera and they immediately asked if i can zoom (hince the order for two cameras)

I mentioned the possibility of a smaller plane for lower flights, but they liked my 2000ft approach since it cant be heard and the Super Skysurfer can float around a while...

I had to laugh when they said my Recordings from 1 mile away were better than their in car cameras.

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:18 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,321 Posts
Quote:
The super skysurfer of course! I wouldnt go OT that much

They saw me sitting in a field on my "night flights" and came to see what I was doing... They were amazed when I told them I was flying an RC plane at 10pm

After landing (Security cars make great landing beacons) I showed them the footage from the flight camera and they immediately asked if i can zoom (hince the order for two cameras)

I mentioned the possibility of a smaller plane for lower flights, but they liked my 2000ft approach since it cant be heard and the Super Skysurfer can float around a while...

I had to laugh when they said my Recordings from 1 mile away were better than their in car cameras.

Chris
That sir is absolutely GREAT !! Good PR for our hobby for sure. way to go man ! Keep us updated and video would be great
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
That sir is absolutely GREAT !! Good PR for our hobby for sure. way to go man ! Keep us updated and video would be great
Ya, Ill try to see what I can do for videos... the last "steakout" was a boring video... 1 hour and 15 min of circling a few streets... I think they are just wanting "trending data" on some people near their facility.

The cool parts I had to turn over to them... (they wanted to use their own memory cards) But its understandable since it is over "restricted airspace". most of the history can be found on youtube if you check out "secret city" or "Oak Ridge TN"

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Ya, Ill try to see what I can do for videos... the last "steakout" was a boring video... 1 hour and 15 min of circling a few streets... I think they are just wanting "trending data" on some people near their facility.

The cool parts I had to turn over to them... (they wanted to use their own memory cards) But its understandable since it is over "restricted airspace". most of the history can be found on youtube if you check out "secret city" or "Oak Ridge TN"

Chris
ahhh they got aliens hidden in there !! They want you flying around with lights in the dark so they can claim.. look it was just a rc plane nothing to see here ! move on folks nothing to be seen here LOL
Oak Ridge: The Secret City's Most Secret Secret (6 min 36 sec)
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
lol... yup... the "aliens" come from the minds of all the old people here that were around all the radiation from the Uranium production...

But on a good side... They are proposing to become the worlds largest Carbon fiber manufacturer... Our schools are starting programs for entry composites workers all the way to composite engineers. They are almost complete with the $300M building for production! That may really help the hobby, especially if i can get scraps

I want to build a CF FPV pod for the Super SkySurfer... I think there is potential... and I could even make some skywalker/skysurfer/bix/bix2 pods if i can find a manufacturer or CNC guy... The potential is there (skywalker guys blow money like its free... lol)

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:58 PM
rwj
Joined Dec 2011
329 Posts
Battery

Could I use a 3s 4000 o r3s 5000mah battery with the stock esc? I purchased the arf and I am now at the point that I need to put in my order at hobby king. I will be putting a HD camera in the cockpit. Thanks
rwj is offline Find More Posts by rwj
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwj View Post
Could I use a 3s 4000 o r3s 5000mah battery with the stock esc? I purchased the arf and I am now at the point that I need to put in my order at hobby king. I will be putting a HD camera in the cockpit. Thanks
yes you can i used a 3s 3600mah at first, but you know with the flaps the stock esc really needs to be bigger ? I got a 50 amp esc that has a 4amp built in beck at hobbyking,so far no problems anyway the 4000 or 5000 3s will be fine ... i am now using a 3s 5000mah and it balances out very nice on CG
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:19 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,016 Posts
I'm thinking about ordering a SSS to kit bash it into what I call a Wind Fighter for when the wind has grounded other big birds. My inspiration is what killerplanes.com does to a Dynam Hawk Sky and turns it into a Hawk Fighter.

I want to cut the upswept wingtips off, add 2 or 3 dozen CF rods, nose skid plates and a drasticly beefed up motor/esc. I want to be able to fly at a decent speed even against a 20-25 mph wind.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I'm thinking about ordering a SSS to kit bash it into what I call a Wind Fighter for when the wind has grounded other big birds. My inspiration is what killerplanes.com does to a Dynam Hawk Sky and turns it into a Hawk Fighter.

I want to cut the upswept wingtips off, add 2 or 3 dozen CF rods, nose skid plates and a drasticly beefed up motor/esc. I want to be able to fly at a decent speed even against a 20-25 mph wind.
I changed mine to 4S and can easily compete with 20mph winds. The problem is the size overall gives the wind lots of leverage. Cutting down the wings will help a little but its still going to be a handfull in the wind.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:20 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
need some advice on reinforcing the flaps and ailerons.

I hate these pressed moulds with no reinforcement, and eventually these are going to rip off.

I have a ton of glass cloth here (a result of one of my drunken ordering sprees i imagine), and i had great success using it to reinforce my icon a5 using CA.

Thoughts on using strips of glass cloth dipped into the recesses with an inch before & after the flaps / ailerons? I know it would hold, i'm just looking for a long term strong solution.
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Im personally going to fly mine till it shows a problem, then use a rubber cement or other flexible adhesive to coat the hinge...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:55 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post

I'd use larger, torquier servos too, if I were you. Some here have found that in a steep dive, the SSS's ailerons no longer respond, though the elevator seems to be fine. Once it levels out and slows, down, aileron response comes back.

I'm not sure why. Maybe the stock servos aren't strong enough, or maybe the wings are twisting slightly when ailerons are deflected in heavier airstreams, or maybe something else.

If you want to habitually fly at high airspeed (such as flying forward against a STRONG wind), you'll have to change a LOT of things on the SSS. It wasn't really designed for high airspeeds.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,016 Posts
Chris, I think anything is a handfull in the wind. Flying in 20mph on 4S is a good benchmark, thanks. That's actually encouraging that I can build a relatively cheap (almost disposable) crash damage resistant WindFighter out of a SSS.

Little Acorn, Thanks for the heads up on the servo's. I'm sure there's a reason the ARF version is only $20 more than the kit version without servo's or motor/esc.

There are a lot mods to do, including upgrading all the control linkage hardware to 4-40 to pass IMAA safety inspections. I'm not really worried about total weight. As long as the CG is right you can easily double the SSS wing loading with motor/batteries upgrades and reinforcements and still have a great flying plane. I don't expect to fly it as a sailplane. I visualize it as more of a gentle sport plane that any pilot could fly in high winds during a big bird event when most of all other planes have been grounded.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,016 Posts
Does anyone have a current BananaHobby coupon code?