HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:42 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
my super sky surfer has arrived, let there be merriment in the land and treats for all the puppies!
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:48 PM
Subsurface flying expert
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
189 Posts
I like treats! Congratulations. I'm still waiting on a few upgrade bits for mine before I fly it.
FlyingGolem is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
I got this foam goose of the ground for the first time this morning. I am a real rookie, this is only my second plane, and I was able to fly it fine. It will fly better when I get the cg correct. I never landed anything with flaps, and nosed in hard on my first landing, I didn't expect it to stall like that. Again, probably a cg issue.
Anyway, does anybody know if the stock ESC has a thermal safety cut-off (I'm sure that there is a better term for this), or is it programmable at all? It seems like it should cut the power in half when it gets too hot. I'll be ordering a CF tube later today, that may take a little weight off my nose-in landings, haha. Thanks to all for the helpful and informative posts on this beast.
Devsdad is offline Find More Posts by Devsdad
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:44 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devsdad View Post
I got this foam goose of the ground for the first time this morning. I am a real rookie, this is only my second plane, and I was able to fly it fine. It will fly better when I get the cg correct. I never landed anything with flaps, and nosed in hard on my first landing, I didn't expect it to stall like that. Again, probably a cg issue.
Anyway, does anybody know if the stock ESC has a thermal safety cut-off (I'm sure that there is a better term for this), or is it programmable at all? It seems like it should cut the power in half when it gets too hot. I'll be ordering a CF tube later today, that may take a little weight off my nose-in landings, haha. Thanks to all for the helpful and informative posts on this beast.
Welcome to RCG!

The stock ESC probably does not have any thermal protection (most do not) but they will have a AMP shutter (if you over draw your ESC the motor sputters and doesnt spin correctly, this is bad and do not fly with this!)

If yo want to keep it semi stock and prevent problems from the ESC, check out the Turnigy Trust 45A. It has a Switching BEC onboard so it wont overheat, and I have ran mine WOT at 45A for 2 minutes without airflow and it barely got warm.

If you have your CG around 95mm from the leading edge, it will float in nice with about 35-40% flaps (check my video a few posts back of my night flight)

Im waiting on the CF tube as well, hope to replace that 200g difference with batteries

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:49 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Im waiting on the CF tube as well, hope to replace that 200g difference with batteries

Chris
I saw that fiberglass rod today, you could beat someone with that thing :P Guess they wanted to save a couple bucks
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Welcome to RCG!

The stock ESC probably does not have any thermal protection (most do not) but they will have a AMP shutter (if you over draw your ESC the motor sputters and doesnt spin correctly, this is bad and do not fly with this!)

If yo want to keep it semi stock and prevent problems from the ESC, check out the Turnigy Trust 45A. It has a Switching BEC onboard so it wont overheat, and I have ran mine WOT at 45A for 2 minutes without airflow and it barely got warm.

If you have your CG around 95mm from the leading edge, it will float in nice with about 35-40% flaps (check my video a few posts back of my night flight)

Chris

Thanks Chris, that's very helpful.

BTW, for those of you that have a tight fitting wing spar, a friend suggested rubbing an unused bar of soap on it before install, it works great! Slides in easily but still holds firm. Now I don't need my gorilla friend to help me install the wings.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:

BTW, for those of you that have a tight fitting wing spar, a friend suggested rubbing an unused bar of soap on it before install, it works great! Slides in easily but still holds firm. Now I don't need my gorilla friend to help me install the wings.
lol... that will change after flying it a few times... It gets easier... my spar can slide in easy now, but has a slight suction to remove since I used gorilla glue to set the spar tube in place.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:07 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Has anybody tried extending the wing on the super sky surfer?

I got into FPV after following info from www.fpvpilot.com, and he noted that he extended the main + tail wings on his easy star by ordering another set of wings, and adding a portion of each of the base wings to the current ones (he showed how as well).

He did it so that he could add extra gear / batteries and keep the plane stable.

Anybody at the point where they have tried this on the super sky surfer?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:15 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:

If that doesn't work, another poster here suggested getting a 3/8" dowel rod at Home Depot or your local hobby shop, cutting a slot in the end, and sliding a piece of sandpaper into the slot. Then put the dowel into a variable-speed electric drill like a super-long drill bit, run it into the wing tube, and turn it SLOWLY to sand away whatever projections or glue is in there.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Dec 05, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
If that doesn't work, another poster here suggested getting a 3/8" dowel rod and Home Depot or your local hobby shop, cutting a slot in the end, and sliding a piece of sandpaper into the slot. Then put the dowel into a variable-speed electric drill like a super-long drill bit, run it into the wing tube, and turn it SLOWLY to sand away whatever projections or glue is in there.
Thanks LA, I thought about doing that, but the soap works pretty good. But I think when I get the CF tube that ill put pins in the wings and leave them permanently fixed. I have no reason to disassemble it. Is it possible to drill a hole through CF tubing? I was an aerospace machinist for 16 years, and surprisingly, never worked with the stuff.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post

I got into FPV after following info from www.fpvpilot.com, and he noted that he extended the main + tail wings on his easy star by ordering another set of wings, and adding a portion of each of the base wings to the current ones (he showed how as well).

He did it so that he could add extra gear / batteries and keep the plane stable.

how much more do you need to lift? Iv flown with 1000+ grams of batteries, my RD32II (86g) Pan/tilt+RMRC700xvn (100g) added 200g of wiring and lights...

So it can easily carry ~1300g of extra weight... thats more than my other planes AUW just in cargo!

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Thanks LA, I thought about doing that, but the soap works pretty good. But I think when I get the CF tube that ill put pins in the wings and leave them permanently fixed. I have no reason to disassemble it. Is it possible to drill a hole through CF tubing? I was an aerospace machinist for 16 years, and surprisingly, never worked with the stuff.
if you do pins, I would recommend getting the CF tubes for the spar guides as well... The fiberglass in there now crumbles easy...

Then I would pin it as far outboard as possible. Getting the 60" CF spar would allow you to pin the ends of the whole assembly. just make sure you leave a tiny bit of play (1-2mm) or the tube can cause the foam to crumple near the body under stress since the foam would flex and the spar would not.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:19 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,993 Posts
Quote:

I agree with Chris 100%
guys have also put larger easyglider wings on easystars, but then the huge wing~short fuselage creates coupling issues... imho you would need to lengthen the fuselage, which kinda defeats the purpose... just buy a bigger plane heh heh... and how much bigger do you want to go
and with this SSS, the lifting power is more than enough

Polix, here's a link to my post in the Bixler2 thread with a couple of videos from last week's flying, with 3.2km distance run on 5.8 video & 4000mah/800mah flight & video lipo's, with handlaunch as promised
Also a Hi Def vid of a mate's farm property, he had asked me for some aerial footage of his place

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23449219

I only posted the Bix2 post link so as not to derail this SSS thread
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:56 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the plane: That wing just isn't big enough.

Quote:

The SSS's biggest problem in this regard (well, it's not really a problem, just something to keep an eye on) is that it's very sensitive to C.G. position. I can see where adding equipment, moving batteries around etc. could have major effects you didn't want.

Theory says this could be mellowed out by putting a bigger stabilizer on it, and/or moving the tail back farther. Then the allowable C.G. range would get wider.

Unfortunately, neither of those changes are minor, they would take some work. And both would make the plane more tailheavy, which they (or at least mine) certainly don't need.

If I were the SSS design guy, I'd develop a completely new fuselage for it, larger in all dimensions, and some 25% longer, both ahead and behind the wing. And also a larger stabilizer, of course. And I'd get rid of the rigid tube that's inside the tail boom of all current SSSs, and use strategically-placed carbon fiber strips that are much lighter instead.

The wing is about the only thing that doesn't need change IMHO. Except maybe wider flaps and ailerons. And mounts for larger, higher-torque servos. And places to put lights....
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:46 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the plane: That wing just isn't big enough.

The SSS's biggest problem in this regard (well, it's not really a problem, just something to keep an eye on) is that it's very sensitive to C.G. position. I can see where adding equipment, moving batteries around etc. could have major effects you didn't want.

Theory says this could be mellowed out by putting a bigger stabilizer on it, and/or moving the tail back farther. Then the allowable C.G. range would get wider.

Unfortunately, neither of those changes are minor, they would take some work. And both would make the plane more tailheavy, which they (or at least mine) certainly don't need.

If I were the SSS design guy, I'd develop a completely new fuselage for it, larger in all dimensions, and some 25% longer, both ahead and behind the wing. And also a larger stabilizer, of course. And I'd get rid of the rigid tube that's inside the tail boom of all current SSSs, and use strategically-placed carbon fiber strips that are much lighter instead.

The wing is about the only thing that doesn't need change IMHO. Except maybe wider flaps and ailerons. And mounts for larger, higher-torque servos. And places to put lights....
you just designed the art-tech diamond 2500 the most stable elegant plane i have ever flown. turns on a dime climbs like crazy,and will float forever with no power.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd