HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:42 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
video of today's first flight, did some fly by,s and some full power climbs, i believe if i hadn't shut the climb down it would go out of site im uploading the pure stupidity video and will post soon
VTS 01 1 (5 min 41 sec)
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:07 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,037 Posts
That was absolutely enjoyable Fastfwd! I'm puttin that same motor in my plane tomorrow for sure! I don't want a rocket, but I definitely want that.

You sure you want to post that "other" video?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
That was absolutely enjoyable Fastfwd! I'm puttin that same motor in my plane tomorrow for sure! I don't want a rocket, but I definitely want that.

You sure you want to post that "other" video?
LOL yes im going to post it in the hope others wont do the same stupid thing
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:02 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
okay here is dumb and dumber. ALWAYS do a pre flight control check,forgot to switch back to SSS on TX,did not do control check and up elevator was down, nosed right into the dirt, all fixed and ready for another fight err flight ...
VTS 01 0 (1 min 43 sec)
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:11 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,037 Posts
...... that hurt×#°
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:48 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
@Little Acorn

You flying today? Thinking about taking a drive up that way to see the SSS in person. Got my Addy and Katana mini loaded in the car. Might as well bring my EZ Rocket and get some video of that area, too.I don't recognize that park from your photos.
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:53 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
@Little Acorn

You flying today? Thinking about taking a drive up that way to see the SSS in person. Got my Addy and Katana mini loaded in the car. Might as well bring my EZ Rocket and get some video of that area, too.I don't recognize that park from your photos.
Have a tentative appointment at noon in Pt. Loma, but may yet get out today, possibly before it. The photos showed Mesa Verde Middle School, which has a soccer field surrounded by a thin track surrounded by skimpy lawns, zero obstructions, and even a leeward approach. It's bigger and less windy than Hilltop Park where I usually fly.

Did you have a certain time you were thinking of coming up? Be great to get together!
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:03 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
okay here is dumb and dumber. ALWAYS do a pre flight control check,forgot to switch back to SSS on TX,did not do control check and up elevator was down, nosed right into the dirt, all fixed and ready for another fight err flight ...
Good to hear it was fixable, and now fixed! When's the re-maiden?

Something to be said for having a separate transmitter for each plane after all. Although I don't, either, of course ...but I set up all my planes the same way so they all use the same transmitter memory, precisely for that reason. Do have a couple of separate TXs, so my 14yr son can fly too, and since the Champs come with their own, and because Champ 4 (ailerons, 2s battery, and of course larger motor ) uses DSM.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
Can anyone post their flap/elevator mix setups?
ariveroll is offline Find More Posts by ariveroll
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:18 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
Wow,
wing loading is 7.86!....thats a floater for sure?

am I correct?
For sure! Landings were real long until I got used to it.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Good to hear it was fixable, and now fixed! When's the re-maiden?

Something to be said for having a separate transmitter for each plane after all. Although I don't, either, of course ...but I set up all my planes the same way so they all use the same transmitter memory, precisely for that reason. Do have a couple of separate TXs, so my 14yr son can fly too, and since the Champs come with their own, and because Champ 4 (ailerons, 2s battery, and of course larger motor ) uses DSM.
yea i read some where that the dx spectrum tx has an alarm or something to warn you if you have wrong model selected
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:55 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
@fastforward:

The DX6i and up have model memories which the Rxs bind to. If the wrong memory location is selected the Rx won't see it and the ESC won't arm. No alarm, per se (the ESC might beep, but that's a funtion of the ESC). It just won't respond to inputs.

@Little-Acorn:

I got side-tracked and by the time I read your response it was too late, as you had the noon appt and the wind was picking up. I ended up not flying. 4 day weekend and only flew Saturday. I'll PM you and maybe we can set up something for next weekend. I'd really like to see if it'd fit in my car without disassembly and I can't get a handle on how massive it seems on paper. I have my Radian Pro assembled and hangared in my car (Ford Transit Connect) up high cuz it was easier than taking her in and out, but the SSS is much larger. I'm also interested in just how much runway is needed to land. With crow I'd think it could be fairly short. I'd like to make it a gyro-stabilized camera platform.
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Last edited by onewire; Nov 26, 2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Typos, spelling, grammar. It's early.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:34 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,037 Posts
Onewire, can you crow on Y connectors and with a DX6i?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:01 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Onewire, can you crow on Y connectors and with a DX6i?
Yes and no...

you could use a y on the flaps but not on the ailerons. you would have to setup a mix...

I use ER9x so its below:

Ch1:AIL1
CH5: AIL2
CH6: Flap

Then I mix:

CH1
--AIL 80%
--FULL 40% SW1
CH5
--AIL 80%
--FULL -40% SW1
CH6
--FULL 40% FLP Switch
--FULL -40% SW1

I am using flaperons+ailerons+crow with stabilization and autopilot so my actual mixes are a nightmare, but those are the basics without all the fancy stuff. (I dont use a Y on either one)

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:27 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,037 Posts
Gee, thanks Chanyote!

Ok, being I'm not familiar with that receiver, I can say- of course - that you're using a 9 and not a 6 channel rx? Correct? I might be answering my own question but, it may be best to use a more than 6 channel rx if you want your plane to do more stuff like "crow"?