HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:51 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,610 Posts
That Cockpit with a little camera is screaming for this view
JUST FOR FUN..... The Cockpit room on that SSS is huge!

EASY GLIDER FPV COCKPIT (5 min 27 sec)

skywalker FPV & virtual cockpit (4 min 0 sec)

FPV Full scale Cockpit (6 min 44 sec)
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:43 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Can't believe you've got the guy's HAND MOVING ON THE STICK.

That is SO cool... !!!
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Nov 24, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:01 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Has anybody ever measured the wing area of the SSS? I can't find it in literature anywhere (anybody seen it?).

I just tried to measure it. With some approximations I had to make, it came out 1,025 sq. in.

Root chord is 12-1/4", span is 95". The wing tapers toward the tip, of course, in a not-easily-measureable curve. If my area is correct, this would work out to an average chord of 10.8", which seems at least in the right ballpark.

Anybody else measured the wing area? What did you come out with?

If the stock plane weighs 70.5 oz. like the ads say, this is a wing loading of 9.9 ounces per square foot. An EasyStar is advertised at 8.28 ounces per square foot. This means that the two planes will cross the sky over your head at nearly identical rates... even though the SSS is more than twice as big!

(Didn't compare the SSS to a regular Sky Surfer, sorry, couldn't find any advertised wing area for it)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:06 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,147 Posts
No I don't know. As long as it floats I'm happy... I'm sure spec handy folks might have that .
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:24 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Has anybody ever measured the wing area of the SSS? I can't find it in literature anywhere (anybody seen it?).

I just tried to measure it. With some approximations I had to make, it came out 1,025 sq. in.

Root chord is 12-1/4", span is 95". The wing tapers toward the tip, of course, in a not-easily-measureable curve. If my area is correct, this would work out to an average chord of 10.8", which seems at least in the right ballpark.

Anybody else measured the wing area? What did you come out with?

If the stock plane weighs 70.5 oz. like the ads say, this is a wing loading of 9.9 ounces per square foot. An EasyStar is advertised at 8.28 ounces per square foot. This means that the two planes will cross the sky over your head at nearly identical rates... even though the SSS is more than twice as big!

(Didn't compare the SSS to a regular Sky Surfer, sorry, couldn't find any advertised wing area for it)
My Sky Surfer, built from the kit.

624 g 22 oz 1.375 pound WA 2.799 sq.ft. WL 7.86 oz/sq.ft. WCL 4.7

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Last edited by Gordks; Nov 24, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:28 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,610 Posts
Wow,
wing loading is 7.86!....thats a floater for sure?

am I correct?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,325 Posts
So i went out to fly, first flight was pretty good even though the wind was like 20mph,charged her up for second flight, i swear i DO NOT remember switch tx to my Sonic 185, You see whats coming floated out of my hands,went to give it up elevator and wham nose into the dirt,seems the sonic 185 is backwards from the SSS !!! Now if i had done what any GOOD pilot should do EVERY flight i would have checked control surfaces and seen elevator was frigging backwards ! I think i got the pure stupidity on film for the whole world to see ! She will be fixed up and ready to fly in a couple of days,but man i feel like a FOOL
fastfwd is online now Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:10 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
So i went out to fly, first flight was pretty good even though the wind was like 20mph,charged her up for second flight, i swear i DO NOT remember switch tx to my Sonic 185, You see whats coming floated out of my hands,went to give it up elevator and wham nose into the dirt,seems the sonic 185 is backwards from the SSS !!! Now if i had done what any GOOD pilot should do EVERY flight i would have checked control surfaces and seen elevator was frigging backwards ! I think i got the pure stupidity on film for the whole world to see ! She will be fixed up and ready to fly in a couple of days,but man i feel like a FOOL
Don't you just hate that!
If it is any consolation, most of us have done it at some point, even the most seasoned pilot can do the same... I'll be the first to admit I've done it... once...
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
FastFwd...
Dont feel too bad...I launched my Flying wing with 3 cameras on it, didnt realize my RTH switch was on so as soon as I threw it, RTH tried to turn it around and it went nose first (all cameras on the nose) destroyed the airframe beyond repair and broke 2 of the 3 cameras

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:26 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Today I watched this guy fly his T-28 nose first into a fence, a maiden of a fairly large awesome and powerful gasser rare bear which ate some pavement on landing as well, it happens and I have video! (Will be up on my youtube channel by sometime tonight or tomorrow) Also on thanksgiving I watched my buddy tip stall his SSS about 5 times to the ground (luckily everytime close to it and no damage), he has a bad habit of bank and yanking though hehe.

I had a scary moment flying mine at night last night, I managed to fly it safely but it was scary, and it took me about 10 landing approaches to get it on the ground (depth perception at night is not very good), Unfortunately my buddy manning the camera had the plane off frame on take-off, then the memory was full a few seconds after he finally got the camera aimed at it, go figure .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:05 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Time for my 6yr son's 1st grade project! Teacher handed out a little stuffed teddy bear to each kid, with an envelope, a blank journal, and instruction sheet. Project is to have a few adventures with the bear around your home, write about them in the journal, then mail the whole kit&kaboodle to a friend, for him to do the same. Then on to the next friend etc. Yep, a chain letter with a teddy bear.

Well, I couldn't help noticing that the teddy was just the right size for a SSS's cockpit... I think you know what's coming......

1.) Project Master secures pilot in aircraft
2.) WE HAVE LIFTOFF... note pilot with hand nonchalantly hanging in the breeze
3.) Climbing out at half throttle
4.) Landing after a few circles of the field, project master in attendance
5.) Pilot ready and able to walk away from it with a smile on his/its face
6.) Triumphant flight crew

Now to document, and mail to the next adventurer..... let's see, son just happens to have a cousin in China......

Last edited by Little-Acorn; Nov 26, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:12 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Aiee aiee aiee..... reminds me of a time when I discovered my EasyStar didn't like to pull out of dives under medium power and zero-lift conditions. Time to buy stock in the co. that produces CA glue? (I invested long ago, for good reason )

Hope it's back on line soon, fstfwd. How's the radio and motor?
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Nov 24, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:39 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
FastFwd...
Dont feel too bad...I launched my Flying wing with 3 cameras on it, didnt realize my RTH switch was on so as soon as I threw it, RTH tried to turn it around and it went nose first (all cameras on the nose) destroyed the airframe beyond repair and broke 2 of the 3 cameras

Chris
Mate, that hurts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Time for my 6yr son's 1st grade project! Teacher handed out a little stuffed teddy bear to each kid, with an envelope, a blank journal, and instruction sheet. Project is to have a few adventures with the bear around your home, write about them in the journal, then mail the whole kit&kaboodle to a friend, for him to do the same. Then on to the next friend etc. Yep, a chail letter with a teddy bear.

Well, I couldn't help noticing that the teddy was just the right size for a SSS's cockpit... I think you know what's coming......

1.) Project Master secures pilot in aircraft
2.) WE HAVE LIFTOFF... note pilot with hand nonchalantly hanging in the breeze
3.) Climbing out a half throttle
4.) Landing after a few circles of the field, project master in attendance
5.) Pilot ready and able to walk away from it with a smile on his/its face
6.) Triumphant flight crew

Now to document, and mail to the next adventurer..... let's see, son just happens to have a cousin in China......

That is so sweet n cute!
Let us know the response from China... no doubt strapped to a 2 metre hobby rocket...
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:47 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,610 Posts
LiL'Acorn....
reminds me of this vid with the Teddy Bear.
(that kid is lucky, he is around RC planes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTDuGaTRiJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVn1RlvDDxU
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:17 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Got some wiring done on my SSS...
Added some latching connectors for the wings, single connection for flap/aileron/nav

Name: IMG_0063[1].jpg
Views: 121
Size: 212.1 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0064[1].jpg
Views: 101
Size: 205.1 KB
Description:
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member