HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:54 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
I had two 2s 4000mAh RC Car batteries, that I used in series for 4s for a while. I had to widen the cutout in the nose bulkhead to get them to fit, wasn't too hard. Since then I have used other batteries (4000mAh 5s), and not had to widen it any more.

Also found that batteries that are 137mm long or so, fit perfectly between the frontmost bulkhead and the low lip below the front of the canopy cover.

Yes, the stock ESC can develop temperature problems quickly, since it has a linear BEC. Switching BECs run much cooler.

P.S. I'd LOVE to see how the SSS performs at the 8,000 ft. elevations of Aspen!
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Nov 22, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:26 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
If you put it in your cart you'll see a $10 oversize fee. And $11.37 CA tax for us lucky ones.
If you use "SUPERHORNET" in the coupon space you'll get an additional 3% off so $126 shipped.
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:22 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Maiden went fantastic! Here are 2 pictures taken after the maiden:

Here is a pic of my SSS, 0utsider89's SSS, and my Bixler in the middle!

And here is a picture of all the planes that we all had out today (2 other pilots where present as well, Stryker is mine but didn't get to fly today):

And of course the maiden flight! Ok well honestly it was the second flight, I forgot to hit record on the first!

Super Skysurfer Maiden (8 min 49 sec)

I am happy to report that she flew extremely well, and indeed loves to glide. Take-off was pretty good, the maiden was by hand launch (my friend launched it for me), and I tell you what I swear this plane just floats out of your hand, for how heavy it FEELS it certainly doesn't fly like it is! Landings where also super fantastic, the first one I used flaps and just gently came in for a nice rolling landing, and on the second I landed with no flaps and got it to just settle right down to a simple dead stop by just riding the elevator just beyond the mush zone .

For more info and buildlog: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....urfer-Buildlog
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:45 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Maiden went fantastic! Here are 2 pictures taken after the maiden:

Here is a pic of my SSS, 0utsider89's SSS, and my Bixler in the middle!

And here is a picture of all the planes that we all had out today (2 other pilots where present as well, Stryker is mine but didn't get to fly today):

And of course the maiden flight! Ok well honestly it was the second flight, I forgot to hit record on the first!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbqVjyjLi-o

I am happy to report that she flew extremely well, and indeed loves to glide. Take-off was pretty good, the maiden was by hand launch (my friend launched it for me), and I tell you what I swear this plane just floats out of your hand, for how heavy it FEELS it certainly doesn't fly like it is! Landings where also super fantastic, the first one I used flaps and just gently came in for a nice rolling landing, and on the second I landed with no flaps and got it to just settle right down to a simple dead stop by just riding the elevator just beyond the mush zone .

For more info and buildlog: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....urfer-Buildlog
Pure sweetness !! Love this plane ! Going to be quite warm in Idaho this weekend so ill try to get decent video of the flight Thanks for the ride
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Pure sweetness !! Love this plane ! Going to be quite warm in Idaho this weekend so ill try to get decent video of the flight Thanks for the ride
I can't wait to see it! Stay tuned for more, night flight video should be in the pipeline for this weekend .
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:44 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,821 Posts
Is the SSS hard to hand-launch with 2x 4s-4000mah, parallel? is that limit 'with' our FPV gear onboard?

Thanks,
mine is being shipped:-)
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:37 AM
rwj
Joined Dec 2011
346 Posts
Go pro mount for the wing

I see the go pros stuck on top of the wing in the banana hobby pictures, how are they attached? I just ordered the ARF for 119.00
rwj is offline Find More Posts by rwj
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:58 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
Very nice pictures NCMC! Like to see some 2nd-pv with the lights doing their thing! Please fly it in the day time too, love to see your color scheme while your lights out shines the sun. It sure is freaking bright enuff
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Very nice pictures NCMC! Like to see some 2nd-pv with the lights doing their thing! Please fly it in the day time too, love to see your color scheme while your lights out shines the sun. It sure is freaking bright enuff
Thanks! Next flight I will get some external video
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:53 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwj View Post
I see the go pros stuck on top of the wing in the banana hobby pictures, how are they attached? I just ordered the ARF for 119.00
It looks like velcro... There are some pics with them removed and the strips are still there. I would recommend the flat mounts though... I like velcro but I dint trust it with $100+ stuff...
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:02 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113 View Post
If you use "SUPERHORNET" in the coupon space you'll get an additional 3% off so $126 shipped.

Thanks!

Now to get permission. Heck. I don't have a clue what to get my wife for Christmas this year and I'm going to ask for a plane? I'm sure she's been dropping hints, but apparantly I don't hear them. That's what I've been told anyway.
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
Thanks!

Now to get permission. Heck. I don't have a clue what to get my wife for Christmas this year and I'm going to ask for a plane? I'm sure she's been dropping hints, but apparantly I don't hear them. That's what I've been told anyway.
Just find her some thing SHINY that LOOKS EXPENSIVE works every time...

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:55 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,821 Posts
MatCat

Did you upgrade the Wing Spars? if not, do you think its not needed to upgrade
like the smaller SkySurfer?
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
MatCat

The Upgrade is more of a "downgrade" lol... changing to carbon, you dint really get more strength or rigidity, but you save about 200 grams which can give you more battery capability 200g is about 1800mah of 4s or 2000mah of 3s!

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
MatCat

I am fairly sure the stock spar is capable enough, if anything an area that could use a little stiffness is the tail, but personally I am not flying it to where it will be a problem so I am not worrying about it myself, though I may eventually upgrade to CF just to get that extra 200g, especially if I decided to go with 2x batteries or something.