SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:50 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
ALERT!!!SSS ARF on sale for Black Friday!! w/ free shipping

ALERT!!!

SSS ARF is on sale right NOW and it's in stock. for Black Friday with Free Shipping for $129.90:

http://www.bananahobby.com/super-sky...0099-prd1.html
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:38 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,865 Posts
hmmm... nice sale, brought it back down to normal price -$10 but the inflation made it look like such a great deal!!! lol... nice move BH...
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:41 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
and a touch of up or she will drop to one side and nose down
Must not be a bank and yank kind of flyer Im use to aileron+ele for turns... damn you flying wings
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:59 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
ALERT!!!

SSS ARF is on sale right NOW and it's in stock. for Black Friday with Free Shipping for $129.90:

http://www.bananahobby.com/super-sky...0099-prd1.html
Wanna see something even more interesting?

If you look at Banana Hobby's overall "Black Friday Sale" ad at:
http://www.bananahobby.com/black-friday-sales.html
and scroll down almost to the bottom, you'll see the SSS ARF for sale at $119.90!

Then if you click on the "More Info" button next to it, it will jump to the description of the SSS... and if you're watching, the price in the description page will come up at $119.90 for about half a second. And then it changes to $129.90!

Let's see. If the price rises by $10 in half a second... how much will it go up in a year's time? And what does that come to, as an annual inflation rate?

Go and look at this, SOON. I have a hunch the overall ad is going to get changed pretty quick.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:12 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Some screen shots of BH's overall ad, and the SSS ARF ad it jumps to when you click on "More Info". The latter took some fancy keyboard work, had to try several times before I got it.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:18 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
If you put it in your cart you'll see a $10 oversize fee. And $11.37 CA tax for us lucky ones.
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:28 AM
A wing and a prayer
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2010
72 Posts
SSS maiden FPV flights
Super Sky Surfer FPV maiden day (7 min 7 sec)
keok is offline Find More Posts by keok
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:41 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
If you put it in your cart you'll see a $10 oversize fee. And $11.37 CA tax for us lucky ones.
That's if you don't go there to pick it up yourself, as I did.

Then instead of a $10 oversize fee plus whatever shipping, they only charge you $5 extra for the privilege of not shippping it. Yes, really.

But they'll still charge the tax.

The good news is, you can take the wings and spar out of the box, right there in the lobby, and see if the spar fits into the wing tubes. Some of them don't, and are incredibly hard to get in. If you find yours like that, the wing tubes are defective, and you should ask for new wings, right on the spot. I wish I had known about that problem when I picked mine up.

And count the bolts in the control-horn packages. (whine )

And lay a ruler along the propellers - both of them - and see if the blades are exactly 180 degrees apart. Some are more like 178 or so, and they'll never stop vibrating and shaking under power, no matter how much you try to balance them.

There's a lot to be said for picking it up yourself, if you live within 100 miles or so of L.A. Long drive, and gas isn't cheap. But you'll thank yourself later.

BTW, the next guy from San Diego area who gets one of these, can I have your brown external shipping box? Most people break them up and throw them out after delivery. I declined the offer of one at Banana Hobby, now I wish I hadn't. Trade you a couple of good APC propellers for yours!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
The gas to drive up there wouldn't be worth it. If I pull the trigger on this, the box is yours. Gotta see if the wife has gotten me a Chistmas present yet.
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:04 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
The gas to drive up there wouldn't be worth it.
The wing swap alone, would have been worth it to me, if I'd known to ask. YMMV....

Quote:
If I pull the trigger on this, the box is yours.
Thank you! What's your favorite size APC prop? (8x6E works beautifully on the stock SSS motor, with either a 3s battery or a 4s battery)

Quote:
Gotta see if the wife has gotten me a Chistmas present yet.
(Hastily calling Onewire's wife to tell her to send back the flatscreen )
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:35 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
SSS battery suggestions

I have a few questions regarding fitting 3S or 4S batteries in the nose.

In general are people modifying the internal foam to fit various width batteries or are people just having batteries fit fine without modification? If so specifically which batteries are you using?

Here is my situation, basically what I have either don't fit or are a lower capacity than what I would like.

I have some Blue Lipo 4S 2650mAh 20C batteries which are 43mm wide and fit snugly in the nose.

I also have some Turnigy 3S 5000 mAh 20-30c batteries which are 50mm wide an don't fit.

Thinking about...

Some GensAce 5300 mAh 60c batteries which are 43mm wide. They are $56 apiece and was hoping to find something closer to the $40 dollar range?

On the plus side I suppose they could also be used with my heavy lift hexa, Diamond 2500 and CTH Storm Chaser.

I guess I'm just curious specifically what people are using. I do have 60A and 80A ESC's available too.

Any thoughts.

BG

BTW: An additional item to be wary of is the prop adapter. Mine came horribly bent. So I just ordered a couple 35 series NTM motors from Hobbyking which I also needed for another project. I believe a 3530 1400kv and a 3536 900KV and will swap them around to find best results. Will try to report back when I have anything to report. I needed these motors and didn't really know what size prop adaptor went on the stock motor (bolt pattern etc) Anyone know of a replacement bolt on adaptor?
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Last edited by BravoGolf; Nov 22, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:52 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
Nice SSS maiden video

Keok,

Nice video! Thanks for sharing, congrats on the maiden.

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:11 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,514 Posts
Keok,
yes x2, great video.... you mentioned that even though everything is stock except upgraded APCe prop- 8x6 - , whats' your next step to make it 'ooomph'? bigger motor?
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:55 PM
A wing and a prayer
Joined May 2010
72 Posts
Thanks,
Next steps? good question I have a Ice 50 ESC on order. (50 amp esc with 5 amp built in beck)
Then try that with 9X4.5E like fastfwd suggested
I noticed in the onboard video that my motor would cut in and out at random times. (It wasn't hot) some suggest that its going into low votage cut off. Regaurdless I can't trust the stock ESC
Last edited by keok; Nov 22, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:19 PM
A wing and a prayer
Joined May 2010
72 Posts
If that's not enough I'll go with the bigger motor
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ner_Motor.html
9X5 prop